ighrpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi, I recently purchased MZ and it doesn't come with much content ( rooms and environment stuff ) How do you add those and are there certain tilesets for certain RPG maker mz or can you use any from any version of RPG maker?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The short answer is that you can use any resource from previous versions of RPG Maker.

The long answer is that tileset dimensions have changed somewhat over the years, so you may have to do some image editing to use an earlier one in MZ. There are also tilesets that have been made specifically for MZ; if you have the Steam version you can check out the available content in the "Workshop" tab.

ighrpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there a difference? Can I downlaod tilesets from itch IO and use those?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Possibly, it depends on the tileset. There's a lot of stuff on itch.io, so you'd have to point to a specific thing for me to give you an actual answer.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the tilesets are original in nature and not made using elements from a version of RM that you do not own, then I think you are safe to use them. But if elements from a previous version's RTP are used in the tileset, and you do not own that version, then you cannot use those elements.

As always, be sure to credit the source...

If I am incorrect in this assessment, I'm sure someone will correct me and I welcome it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes and no.

a tileset is defined in the database from tilesheets. Those tilesheets are what you can download.

however there are six different formats for tilesheets, and each format only works in exactly that slot of the tileset that it is designed for - you cannot use a tilesheet designed for A4 in A1 for example.

So when you download tilesheets elsewhere you need to make sure that they are in a format that can be used in the rpg maker tileset definition. Mostly youonly get tilesheets that can be used in the B-Eslots (the sixth format), but it is difficult to make maps with only those sheets.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If the tilesets are original in nature and not made using elements from a version of RM that you do not own, then I think you are safe to use them. But if elements from a previous version's RTP are used in the tileset, and you do not own that version, then you cannot use those elements.

As always, be sure to credit the source...

If I am incorrect in this assessment, I'm sure someone will correct me and I welcome it.
Nah, you're pretty spot on. The creator of a resource determines how and when it can be used, so you have to look at it on a case-by-case basis to ensure you have permission to use a given resource.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Checking out the Judge's Round Table. Really cool getting their perspective in a Q/A environment like this.
I'm heading back to Orlando tomorrow! Dad said he's going to take me to my favorite arcade and maybe Aquatica.
animated message windows <3
or message window that uses background images that can be animated?
Still need to fix some things, but it's going great so far :)
CEPjLJn.gif
just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zabasin