How to adjust Stat Functionality

Bairaisu

Draconic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm new here, and I'm just starting a game that I've been planning out for years. But I just downloaded VXA and it doesn't seem to provide me with enough flexibility. I don't know if I'm missing something really obvious, or if I need to edit the game scripts.

I need to remove the MMP gauge as well as the TP gauge and entire system. I also want to change how damage is calculated within the game. I have my own formula, but I have no clue as to where it would go.

Any help that could be provided would be fantastic!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's three different questions, so a little on each of those.

For the damage formula, you put it in the skills. By default, attack uses skill 1. You may wish to work through a beginner tutorial, as it will teach you more on this.

For the others, that will take a script. You may wish to post under script requests for that one. But for now, I'd find a few beginner tutorials (Andar has a good one) and work through those for about a month or two so you learn the basics of the engine. Then once you are comfortable with that, then worry about how to remove the MP and TP bars.

Bairaisu

Draconic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For the damage formula, you put it in the skills. By default, attack uses skill 1. You may wish to work through a beginner tutorial, as it will teach you more on this.
I guess I should clarify some things. I have watched many tutorials on various topic for RPG maker for over a month now, prior to me purchasing the product, and even after I have been looking at tutorials, and none have talked about anything like this.

The formula I would be using is:
Damage = (((2*Level+2)*Power*Att/Def)/50+2)*Mod
Power = (Move Strength+Weapon Strength+20)/50
Mod = Crit*Rand*Other*Element
Crit = standard crit rate is 1@95%,2@5%
Rand = random integer .85-1
Other = Weapon Effectivenes
Element = Element Effectiveness​

The biggest problems being; VXA calculates attacks damage against enemies defense last as opposed to in the middle of the formula, I cannot connect the power of the weapon the hero is holding into the power of the move the hero is using, I cannot create random integers, and I cannot adjust the critical damage to be less than 3x nor can I adjust how often it occurs.

Am I missing something, or will all this need to be done in scripts too?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can create a custom damage formula as a mini-script. However, some of that might be done in the data base directly.

It's difficult to be precise because you are using alternative terminology. Take elemental effectiveness, for example. If you mean that the skill will inflict more elemental damage depending on certain factors, then you can do a range of things. It might be to make enemies weak to that element, it might be that the element adds a damaging state, it might be that the element combines with something else to do extra damage. It could be lots of things. But without more precise information about what you intend it is hard to give specific advice.

I have no idea what "weapon effectiveness" means, it could be almost anything. The same with other lines in that list. Is Move Strength the same as Agility, or are you thinking of modifying one of the base stats so that it does something else? What stat are you using to indicate 'Power'? It can't be attack, because you are multiplying Power by Att, which I assume is a typo for Atk

Watching tutorials is not the same as working through them. bgillisp's signature in the second post contains a link to Andar's compilation of info for new users. It contains a wealth of stuff which if you were to work through them now will save you a lot of time and frustration in the future.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Watching videos =/= working through them. It is highly recommended to spend at least a month working through them at the minimum. As for your formula, your terms are way different than ours, but def is calculated when you tell it to be calculated (first, last, middle, or even never!).

But, yes, you may need a mini-script like kes suggested. Still, work through them (don't just watch, that's useless. That's like trying to learn to be a brain surgeon by reading books but never practicing), learn the basics, then try to make the changes.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As an added info:
Only two of the default parameters have build-in functions at all: Luck for the chance of getting or loosing a state, and AGI as a part of the turn order speed.

All other parameters (including DEF) have absolutely no functions in the engine itself, they are only used in the damage formulae of skills in the database.
And what formula you write there is completely your own decision, you can exchange the damage formula in any way you want in the skill tab of the database.

Bairaisu

Draconic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Kes,

I am trying to work through things, as well as asking questions and trying to receive assistance from others, that being the entire purpose of this thread.

As far as terminology differences, I can assist by provided definitions for the terms I am using.
Elemental Effectiveness; Similar to pokemon types. Some creatures will have elements associated with them, and using a weapon that has an element associated to it will result in an increase or decrease to the attack damage.
Weapon Effectiveness; Weapons being wielded will have differing strengths and vulnerabilities against other weapons.
Move Strength; Each skill will have its own base strength. When combined with the Weapon Effectiveness, It will produce the Power Variable for my formula.

Bgillisp,
You are saying that Def is calculated when you tell it to be calculated. But directly in the Database (skill tab, formula textbox) it states, "Adjustments for such things as elements and defense will be made separately, so do not include them in the formula."

This being the case, can you tell me where to find where Def is calculated or how to change when it is calculated. Because I need it to be calculated in the middle for my formula.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This being the case, can you tell me where to find where Def is calculated or how to change when it is calculated. Because I need it to be calculated in the middle for my formula.
You misunderstood several things here.

DEF (as a value of the actor) is never calculated - you as the developer decide what its values will be as a combination between level-base and added equipment. There is a graphical representation of a level-based parameter as a base, that is what you set in the class tab of the database.
At that place you have the option of defining the values by automatic formula, but also the option to set every number manual in whatever kind you consider to be fitting to the class.

The damage formula itself is part of the skill data - and again, you determine if that damage even checks the def or not, and if it should be used how it will be used. If you decide that you need to use the b.def (that will be replaced by the sum of the def from actor states and equipment of the target) in the middle of your formula, then simply write it into that middle.

The things that are mentioned in the help file are other parameters that will affect the damage after the basic formula has calculated - but all those effects like the damage rates are only there if you place the traits on the target, their default is always 100% or no change.

Bairaisu

Draconic
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you, that did answer my question. I had missed the obvious b.def to reference the target's def. I was indeed just missing something obvious.

The only other things I need to figure out is how to adjust weapons to have differing strengths and vulnerabilities against other weapons, and how to adjust elements in the same fashion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We'll be doing another giveaway of MZ on the stream tomorrow! Thank you SykoGaming for contributing a copy for the community! :D
Sorry guys! Been away for long this time. Got attacked by my anxieties again. At least no more bedbugs. Got logged out of here and layout seems strange now a bit.
My old project is now a sitcom
How to do implementation the social politcal mechanics in rpg maker? Thank you for quick spark of ideas. Fear of going to the thread lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memakegamemekillminority