How to animate sprites in cut-scenes/autorun events?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Jana, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Jana

Jana Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, I'm new to MV! And I was just wondering, is there a way I can animate my characters in more detail during cut-scenes? I know how to set characters' movement routes to make it look like their walking regularly with the dialogue and how to animate chests and doors, but I want to animate characters to show emotion or make them interact with each other physically (like a kiss or a hug). I remember playing Pokémon blue/red rescue team as a kid and the characters could make a face and change their bodies with surprise, and in one scene Lombre picked up a newspaper and read it.
    Thanks!
    EDIT: Art/Graphics are no problem, I just don't understand the process of displaying the frames.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you need to have the required graphics first - as soon as you have the pictures for that, you can use the different ways of animation to display them. But nothing can create emotions on faces or sprite movement, that requires a change in graphics.

Some of that can be done in the character generator and then saved as different faces, but somethings need to be done in an image program.

3. Jana

Jana Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for your reply! Yea, drawing is not the issue though, I can make the graphics ezpz. I don't understand the actual process of animation i.e. how to put them together during a cut scene. If you know how to display them, could you walk me through it? I found a girl online say she was going to make a tutorial on it, but that video was posted like a year ago. The event was like three pages long.

You said: "You can use different ways to display them." That's what I'm asking about, I don't know how, haha!

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    it depends on what and how you animate.

If you make the pictures part of a sprite, then you need to change actor graphic to that sprite and use turn commands to display the different variants at the correct times (like the quick event "door" does with the door sprites)

If you're using full pictures (for example bust pictures), you'll need a sequence of changing show picture commands to give the illusion of animation by changing the displayed picture

If you're using the skill animations, you can program anything in the animation tab and then just play the animation on an event (on an invisible event if the event sprite itself would be a problem)

If you want to animate a face inside a show text message - with different show text you can easily show different static faces, but to animate that in a single command you'll need a plugin.

If you don't already have pictures then I suggest you experiment with those methods, each has its different advantages and disadvantages, and then select what pictures to make depending on what you want.

Jana likes this.
  5. Jana

Jana Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much!!! I will experiment