How to change an animation resolution to fit a bigger screen size?

raffle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, I got an animation pack that contains a few full-screen animations but I changed my game's screen resolution so they look cut off, what's the best way to approach resizing them?

Here's a clip of what I'm talking about

I couldn't find any plugins for it or tutorials on doing it manually with photoshop or anything :(

Thank you for your time!

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If its mv you can simply open the images on editing software and resize them to your actual size, if its too much in one go and results in blurryness you can resize a given % at a time in small increments, be sure to use even numbers though.

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If you have Photoshop Upscaling with "preserve detail 2.0" is just about the best way to upscale out there. Unless it's pixel art and you want to keep the sharp edges. From the clip you attached it doesn't look like it should be a problem since there's not a ton of detail in the animation images.

In Photoshop:
Go to image, Image Size, then change the box with the current width to your screens width. If you don't want the images to stretch make sure the "Constrain Proportions" little chain link icon is selected next to the boxes. This will automatically calculate the new height while keeping the images original proportions. If you prefer to stretch the image out to fit the corners of the screen perfectly you can manually input the height by de-selecting the icon button. (It's generally better to keep proportions and let one length "bleed" out of the screens edge if necessary. Or select the on-screen portion of the final image with the "Marquee" tool and "Crop" off the excess image amount.)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are two ways to handle this, the method described above is only one of them.
and each has limitations that were ignored by the post above.

the first method is to use the build-in scale method.
in the database, on the animation tab, you can right-click any cell placed on the animation preview and select EDIT, then scale that cell.
that is the easiest method, but if you scale too high there will be blur and/or pixellation.

the other method is the one mentioned above, take the animation sheet into an image program and resccale it there. Image programs have better formulae and can scale up with less blur.

However the problem with that method is that the animation sheets have a fixed size, and scaling up an animation beyond that cell size will require you to split it between multiple cells. that will require more work on creating the animation sheets, and then you'll have to reconstruct the full picture from multiple partial cells to create the animation.

raffle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much for the replies and all the information, those tips for photoshop will come in handy!

I think I'll go with the slowest method of scaling up each cell in the animation sheet like @Andar mentioned.
Although I'm really bad at math and have no idea how big I should make them.

The current sheets I'm using have cells of 194x194 which works for rpg maker mv's default resolution of 816x624. My game's resolution is 1104x624. How big do you think I should make the cells in the animation sheet to fit the entire screen?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!
Oof, this "side project" of mine is starting to get as complex as a VS plugin, at least as far as plugin parameters are concerned. I think I now understand why a plugin like this doesn't already exist(that I know of). Learning a lot while trying to make it work though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pomelo