How to change sprite (player) collision?

Kurtkakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Other
i cant find out how to change collison of a character

ive searched with as many different words i could describing it, all it shows up is EVENT hitbox which i dont want

ill explain what i need help with

so for example default character sprite's collison is 1x1 tiles
but when I make the sprite taller (to 2x1 tiles) it's head will collide with the wall, i want only the bottom half of the character to collide with the wall
I want to make the collision box 1x1 tiles not 2x1 tiles
im a complete beginner and I would love it if it was explained simply

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
:kaohi: Usually "collision" affects whether something can move or not, but by default all characters use 1 tile for collision. E.g. a character with a sprite that looks 2 tiles tall will only collide based on the 1 tile they are standing on. In other words, the size of the sprite is only a visual effect and does not affect game mechanics (unless you use a plugin to change that).

Maybe you are just bumping into an invisible wall or character? In the database (Tools > Database), on the Tilesets tab, with "Passability" selected, you can click tiles to change their passability. Tiles marked O will allow movement; tiles marked X will block movement. Events set to Priority: Same as characters will also block movement.

Otherwise, it sounds like what you're actually talking about is tile priority, i.e. some tiles are being displayed on top of the player? One of the tile passability options for pages B~E is a star, which means the tile will not affect passability and will display on a layer above other tiles. This means if a tall character walks on the tile below a "star tile", the "star tile" will obscure the upper part of that character, like a roof. If you want to avoid that, maybe check out this plugin:

Kurtkakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Other
thank you so much! that is very useful! :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're not sure what you're doing, and you're using the default tiles that are there in a new project, I don't think you should be going to the database and changing the passability settings though, because they're all set up correctly, and you will break things even more by messing around with them.

You've explained what you want, and have been informed that that IS what happens by default.

So now you should explain what's happening instead, that makes you think it's not working properly. Screenshots will be very helpful. There may be something completely different going on, and nothing to do with collision at all.

For example, if you have followers visible (System tab) but you've deleted the first actor from the Actors tab but not from the Starting Party (System tab), it means on the map there will be a "blank" actor leading the party. So when you try to walk up to something or someone, you will only be able to get one tile away, not right next to them. The "blank" actor that you deleted is actually right next to them, but because they have no sprite, you won't be able to see them there.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Have you ever gone full 'Ship of Theseus' while frankenspriting? Because I just did.
I saw my new eye doctor today, he reminds me of Satoru Iwata for some reason
I've been using a modified version of a script called Multiple Messages. It makes my text boxes look like a Mario & Luigi game! There is something about it that bothers me a little bit, but I shouldn't worry about that now.

Side note, Mist's walking animation is almost perfectly in sync with Loose Yourself by Eminem.
Starting work on some stuff for the community. Hopefully it will be fun, and useful to somebody.
Searching what to play in my dead times, the nostalgia hit me hard and ended downloading the Patapon trilogy, hope I can avenge my child self and beating all the games hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EpicLast