How to Change Text Box To White

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by rizunx, Dec 17, 2016.

1. rizunx

rizunx Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    So I've been trying to mess with the window color settings the normal way in the system tab, but I can't seem to ever get it to go to white, just a gray color when I turn all the sliders up. On the other hand, there's no problem turning the window to black or any other color other than white. 

Here's an example of the gray window

And I was wondering if there was anyway to get it to white. I already tried messing with the custom window skin, but that doesn't seem to do anything (even the palette).  

Any help would be appreciated! 

(also, if I placed this in the wrong section I'm sorry!) 

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Do you want this for all message boxes, or only some?

3. rizunx

rizunx Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I'd really like it for all message boxes since the game I'm making is mostly white with a few light colors.

4. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you made a white window skin, then all boxes would be white - but so would your menus.  Could you live with that?

5. rizunx

rizunx Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Yup that's the goal. Currently, this is the window skin I made and it's pretty simple so, I'm not sure what else I should try doing with it. 

Window Skin

I've tried making everything white and messing around with the colors at the bottom, but it still just gives that gray color.

6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you are not using any custom script which alters the window skin in any way, have your tried changing the translucence of the window skin itself?  As the window skin is not fully opaque, it could be allowing something from the background to show through, therefore you will never have a pure white.

The default script Window_Base sets the translucence.  You will find the value (160) at line #181.  Try changing that.

7. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Heh heh heh, I've tried this before too.

You need an opaque message background.

Otherwise, you'll ALWAYS get that what-you-call 'gray' background (it's actually off-white).

Galv has this script for adding your own message backgrounds, you could use this and add the graphic yourself.

8. rizunx

rizunx Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    So, I tried to changed the translucence of the base, but no matter what the value is, it doesn't change the opacity of the text box at all. But, opacity is most definitely the reason for the off white background. 

Edit: I've been doing some searching and a lot of questions with the opacity background are saying to find/add "self.opacity = 255" and I tried doing that too, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. 

Edit #2: I've found another script to change the opacity and it works. Thanks everyone! (I found the script here.) 

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2016
    Reapergurl likes this.
  9. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @rizunx You're quite welcome.