How to change the icon?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Monkeysnow55 The Cookie, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Monkeysnow55 The Cookie

Monkeysnow55 The Cookie Cookie Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Cookie
    In rpg games and other stuff on the internet, there are pictures on the game, instead of just that chess piece thingy...For VX I see games where the icons are like faces, orbs, stuff like that. How do I change that for my game? Thanks!

icon.png

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    You probably need to use things like ResHack to change it... the icon is actually inside the exe itself...

3. Bloodmorphed

Bloodmorphed Dungeon Fanatic Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Using that is against the ToS though ya? Or w/e it is in our case.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Enterbrain's official recommendation is that you create a shortcut to the Game.exe file and you change the icon on the shortcut. However, while changing the Game.exe's icon IS against the EULA, this is one change that is tolerated by the company.

Right-clicking your exe and changing the icon in Properties is NOT the approach to use. That would change the icon on YOUR computer, but everyone else who downloads your game would still get the default icon.

ResHacker is pretty easy to use for this purpose.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
  5. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    the shortcut is the easiest way, but does it change the icon of the program (the one shown on the taskbar and in the window) once it's opened? I haven't really tried it... XD

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't actually tried, since I also mod the exe icon. I suspect the original icon would show on the taskbar, and definitely on the window.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  7. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You know enterbrain or some of the programmer who work on the program here should make something that allowed to change the icon via the RPG maker Program instead of trying to use third party software or an separated official program just to change the icons of any RPG maker game.

8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    EB would probably be the only one to do an "official" one... since EB is the one working on the program