Kitten2021

Just here to learn...
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello,

I have someone that has never played an RPG Maker game before, and I am trying to make a game specifically for him to enjoy - but I am running into a bit of a confusing issue.

I would like to run him through his very first battle with a tutorial, you know, the whole "We're against XYZ monster! Use a 'skill (fire)' against XYZ to cause major damage!" Just as a very generic example for you... but I'm not certain how to go about doing that as some of the options for events during a battle are a little confusing for someone that's never done it before. In addition, I really need my secondary character to start the battle already partially damaged (like he's missing 200 HP, so this will force the player to have to learn how to use Potion's for the first time in battle too) but I must be missing how to damage a character in the Events windows somewhere. :/

I browsed the tutorial's page for RMMZ, but I didn't see anything for that; I did look up on YouTube first, but everything there just wants to tell you how to setup battles, not how to create actual battle tutorial's from within an actual battle. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

(I've attached an image of just something I could get put together, but I'm not certain I have it right.)
Battle_Tutorial_ExampleSoFar.PNG

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you want the message to appear on the very first second battle starts set Turn to 0. As for damaging the actor before the battle, before the Battle Processing event go to the first event page of Event Commands and pick the Change HP option in the actor section. From there pick the Actor of the HP you want to change, pick decrease, and the amount you want it down by and you're done.

Kitten2021

Just here to learn...
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I think I've figured some of it out... but here's a problem I'm running into:

At the start of the battle, I have it set to [Turn 0] and to Span: Turn, this allows my hero to explain the general info of 'battle basics'. But then I want the player to fight for two turns, using [Attack], and then I want either at the end of Turn 2 or hte start of Turn 3, PRIOR to any actions, for the player to be instructed on how to use Items. With how I have it setup at the moment, it always forces the player to choose an action first and THEN starts the dialogue for how to use Items. How can I get this reversed?
Battle_Tutorial_ExampleSoFar2.PNGBattle_Tutorial_ExampleSoFar3.PNG

Kitten2021

Just here to learn...
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you want the message to appear on the very first second battle starts set Turn to 0. As for damaging the actor before the battle, before the Battle Processing event go to the first event page of Event Commands and pick the Change HP option in the actor section. From there pick the Actor of the HP you want to change, pick decrease, and the amount you want it down by and you're done.
Thank you, @Uzuki , I had just posted my above message when you must have posted yours. The damage to the hero info was extremely helpful, thank you for this! I was able to get the pre-battle message to work, but as you can see from my new post above, I'm not sure about the next stage...

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You'll want to set up an End Turn along with the turn count and have it set up so the dialogue plays at the end of the enemy's turn. In a blank playtest I set the enemy's agility to 0 so it's turn will always be second and then set the second page to look like "Turn End, Turn 4". So now it will play at the end of the enemy's second turn and before the player has to choice fight.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yea, the battle turn gets updated right after the input phase. In summary:
  • Turn 0 happens before the input for Turn 1.
  • Turn N, Turn End happens before the input for Turn N + 1.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

All I've done today is sleep ; n ; I don't feel like eating my tummy says no I hope you guys are having a good day tho
Change of gears, WoP is still on going, GAN would be for a long future. Personal issues and studies keep going, HOWEVER, i recognised I started WoP badly and i needed to start from scratch from tilesetting!! Happy RPG Making Everyone!!!
Come join us while we play this fabulous game, Kindred Novel, by Birdbunch. We'll be checking out 2 hours today and 2 more tomorrow! Starting at 4pm EST
Going live in 10 for part 2 of Kytt's playthrough of Day of the Tentacle Remastered! Twitch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dinkelborg