How to Create a New Event Page in the Middle of an Event.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Flame_Driven, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Flame_Driven

Flame_Driven Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Basically, I want my npc s to say something different everytime you talk to them.  I'm trying to create an easy way to do it, because I'll do it over and over again.  (Common Event).  The easiest way I can think to do that is to have the common event make a new event page.  Is there a way to do that?

2. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    use switch for that 

you implant each time a new switch so the character will have each time a new text (but you have to implemt yourself the text huh~)

3. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Or you can use variables.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very difficult to do, and not a good idea anyway.

Why do you want to use a common event? Do you want all your NPCs to have the same list of phrases to randomly select from? In that case just do a Call Common Event within your NPC event, and in the common event set a variable to a random number depending on how many phrases you want to be available, and use labels & jump to labels, or conditional branches, to determine what to say based on the random number.

5. Flame_Driven

First Language:
    English
    If you've ever played Dark Souls you need to talk to your NPCs a couple of times to get to the real thing you wanted to hear.  That's what I'm trying to do.  Not a random thing each NPC says.  I'm trying to make a set of events I guess.  Having a Common Even that switched between Event Pages in the actual event made the most sense.  Maybe there's a better way to do it though.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That depends on how many answers each NPC should have, and how many NPCs like that will be in the game.
    The common event idea works best if several NPCs should give the same answers, it isn't optimal if every NPC-event should have different answers.

If you have a lot of NPCs with only two or three different answers, self-switched pages might be best.

If you have only a few NPCs but a lot of different answers each, then it might be a good idea to assign them a variable each and use conditional branches in a single page event.

If you have a lot of answers and a lot of NPCs, then you might look for PK8's self-data suite and assign self-variables for text storing to your events - but that would be an advanced method that requires scripting knowledge to use, definately NOT for beginners.

7. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Flame_Driven, it sounds like you are just asking for something simple, but don't know how to explain it simply. =]

For each NPC, you would like to have a set of answers which are randomly generated so that you have to talk to them over and over to get the answer you need, right?

For this you need one variable and a really long conditional branch in a single event page.

If you don't know how to use them yet, check out the list of tutorials for beginners in my signature.

But basically, you will name a variable called "Random Number."

You will Set the Variable to a random number from 1 to the maximum number of answers the NPC can give.

Then you will set up a conditional branch with that many "show text" statements, with the condition of each branch based on the value of the variable. So if the variable equals one, the text would be .... etc.

If that's NOT what you want to do, can you be more specific, because Shaz and Andar know an awful lot....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
    Flame_Driven and Shaz like this.
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, that sounds to me like what you're after too.

No need for multiple event pages (unless you just want them to keep saying the one thing all the time AFTER they've given you the "real" clue). No need for common events.

It also sounds like you're a bit hazy on switching between different event pages. You don't use a common event to do that. In that case, both Andar and GrandmaDeb have links in their signatures to beginner tutorials, which will explain event pages and switching between them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
    Flame_Driven likes this.
  9. Flame_Driven

First Language:
    English
    Thanks guys!  I've done a lot of reading in between the posts and realized instantly that a common event would never work for all of my individual NPCs in the game.  Basically I created a switch that ended the event.  After ending the event I have another switch that sends it to the next event page.  It was never about creating randomly generated answers, more about having the NPCs be real individuals in the game that would talk to you differently depending on how many times you talked to them.  

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm still not convinced you're taking the best approach. Can you take screenshots of each page of one of your events and post them here? I'm almost certain that we can help you come up with a better design (and one that's easier to implement too).

11. Flame_Driven

First Language:
    English
    hahaha No problem Shaz.  If you could think of a better way to do it, I'm all up for it.  I am new to the maker and the site ^_^

Especially since there are only 4 self switches. but I haven't run into an NPC who needs more than that so far.

Poor Person 1 copy.jpg

Poor Person 2 copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
  12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah. You can do the same thing in a single event, using a variable.

I'm in a rush so can't be exact, but something like this:

Control Variables [0001: Text Step] += 1Conditional Branch: Variable [0001: Text Step] == 1 Text: Hey Mister!Branch EndConditional Branch: Variable [0001: Text Step] == 2 Text: Something Else!Branch End ...Conditional Branch: Variable [0001: Text Step] => 5 Text: What you want them to say all the other timesBranch EndIf you want them to be able to repeat what they've said, just set the variable to a random number instead of adding 1 each time.

And if there are a LOT of them and you don't want it to check all the others once it's found one, you can add Exit Event Processing after the text in each block.

Flame_Driven likes this.