l3m35

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure if this belongs to the Javascript thread, or if it's a plugin request, so I'll post here.

The party will find a lot of phone numbers, so the player need an option to easily access those numbers. Of course it's easy to store them in vars, but I'm not sure how to have a list of numbers. Suggestions?

Using Yanfly Menu Manager, I made a menu option calling a Common Event.

2koH07E.jpg

Can I call a window with a list from this CE, or is there another better way to do it?

(I've seen this https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/phone-list-for-rpg-maker-mv.89899/ but using images is out of question for me. A simple text list is good enough, just like any other menu window.}

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What are they doing with them? Why not just make them Key Items, then they can be viewed in the inventory?

l3m35

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My idea is the player using numbers to find new quests, solve open ones, maybe some easter eggs, etc. Each number found is stored as a var, but since I'm in the beggining of development, I can change it.

Each number as a key item? It's a possibility, but a mess of items and key items together... I would need to organize it.

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So like a bunch of choices or just a text list?
If you want a list of choices then I recommend this and this.

l3m35

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So like a bunch of choices or just a text list?
If you want a list of choices then I recommend this and this.

Looks like a solution. Thank you.

Oh yeah, two years later still have this doubt LOL.

My project was frozen since them,and I still need to make a simple list of var values. The plugins cited by Zarsla are for options, but it wouldn't be good if I have like 200 phone numbers... Hidden items neither, because it would be overly complicated (menu > items > phones instead of a simple menu > contacts).

A simple list of vars. If someone can show me how to call a window listing vars I guess it's good enough.

Last edited:

l3m35

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An epic two years bump.

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I mean what excatly is wrong?

If I understand it correctly you want to give the player a phone number.
And then do:
A. Just see the number
Or
B. See the number and select it and do something, once selected.

If it's A.
Just use a bunch of variables and set each one to a phone number.
Then use text boxes to display them.
Or scroll text.

If it's B
Then you're going to make a bunch of choice branches and make it where if switch x is off hide branch y. And then when you turn switch x on, branch y is hidden.
Then under branch y do stuff.

Both versions A & B use 1 common event.

l3m35

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"[...]Then use text boxes to display them. Or scroll text. "

My idea is to call a single text box from the options menu to scroll through a bunch of vars.

I tried with hidden items for each number, but it's a mess, worse because the player would need to check the item to see the number, seeing parameters of items that don't apply to a phone number (like att, etc.). Multiple choices list is out of the question, 200 phones in a single list of options seem like an even worse and really bad mess to find a number or associate it with a name.

So the best approach I can think of is a var for each number, set to 1 when the player gets that contact, and a big if block (if var phonenumber John is true = show "12345678 - John", if var phonenumber Mary is true = show "912345678 - Mary", and so on).

I'm OK with vars and checks, etc. But I'm ashamed to say I have no clue on how to open a window with a block of ifs. Any idea or direction is appreciated.

[I would strongly suggest a phone book to any plugin developer, I bet many people would love it, it's unbelievable that there is no such thing yet]

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well no heavy coding needed just a script call in the common event, that initializes everything besides that you're fine.

Basically In the initialized common event
Use MV varaibles and set them to "" in the script function.
Script:
" Game_Variables.prototype.value = function(variableId) {
if(this._data[variableId] === null || this._data[variableId] === undefined) {
return 0;
} else {
return this._data[variableId];
}
};"

Then when it's time to give a phone number set a varaible to "912345678 - Mary"

Then in the common event in the menu do \v[x] for the variable and you're done.

Screenshot (313).png

Screenshot (314).png

Make sure the starting event has this in it:
Screenshot (315).pngScreenshot (316).png

And then when you give the phone number to the player:

Screenshot (317).png

Screenshot (318).png

And then in game:
Screenshot (324).png

At the start of the game:
Screenshot (319).png

Then you interact with events:
Screenshot (320).png
Screenshot (324).png

Screenshot (321).png

And then if I talk with a different event later down the line:
Screenshot (322).png

Screenshot (324).png

Screenshot (323).png

It's not scrollable like how this page is, but you can flip through it like a series of text boxes.

To do that though would require a plugin, and idk if a scrollable single window plugin exists.

And to be honest on the topic of a plugin that's a phonebook the reason why it doesn't exist is what you're asking for as a plugin is niche. Like most phone book plugins are more like a phone plugin, ie you get a series of numbers and call a person. Or they're mail plugins and you get "text messages" form a person.
But just a plugin that's a list of numbers, you can event that and since most people who do want phone/phone book plugins, also want events that happen with them, ie they call or text you, or vice versa, most plugins do that.

On another note, it must be that MV changed how variables work, cuz I could have sworn in MV you can set a variable to a string "", and be fine. Welp anyway just make sure to run the script call at the start of the game along with setting the variables to "" and you should be fine.

Last edited:

l3m35

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your help, I'll check this, for sure the code explanation will help. Sadly the message box as solution is lame in a UI perspective. I'll keep digging for something better.

"And to be honest on the topic of a plugin that's a phonebook the reason why it doesn't exist is what you're asking for as a plugin is niche." Really? At a first thought I could imagine many people using it, even more if it has more functions like a "quick call", etc (not only for a "phone" book but anything a designer goes for his game plot like e-mails, webpages, whatever).

So in fact the plugin would be a "scroll window to list vars with the ability to hide/show them, and call events from each list item".

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As I said:
"And to be honest on the topic of a plugin that's a phonebook the reason why it doesn't exist is what you're asking for as a plugin is niche."

I describe a phone plugin as:
"you get a series of numbers and call a person. Or they're mail plugins and you get "text messages" form a person. "

Those extra features are what people want. Ie they want the abiility to have a scroll window that list a bunch of variables, with the ability to hide and show them and call events form each item.

Not just:
Have a scroll window that list a bunch of variables, with the ability to hide and show them.

As to why:
Because you can get what a phone book plugin does with events. The gui looks might not be what you want, but it's doable and most people don't want to go through the hassle of getting a plugin like that done. Ie some one in your position, looking for a coder and finding one to do it for you, and not having the money to drop on said item, etc.
Tbh it would be a bit pricey depending on how the person did it for you.
Honestly with the complaints in mind. You could be looking at, if you're luck a $10 - 20 USD plugin. It would use either it's own variables or mv variables. You would have some type of plugin parameters and some kind of plugin command. Under the hood it would just look for and see what numbers are available for the list and that's it. Oh and connecting it to the main menu

Honestly it's a fairly simple plugin, but I don't honestly see plugins like this selling for under $10 unless the person is really nice.

l3m35

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree it doesn't sound that difficult for someone experienced with Javascript and RPG Maker. But much more complex plugins like some of Yanfly's are sold for $1, so I can't see something like this selling for 10 bucks (unless, of course, under a specific request of something very niche-oriented, what I really don't think it's the case - although simple, it would open a wide range of possibilities: phone and e-mail book, tips, general logs in-game).

I'll have to create it myself, time to dig deeper :D If I get something, I'll share here.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

0YJJJiG.gif
kkSYWES.gif
0YJJJiG.gif

Working on some fan assets! I won't share them all just yet, but it's a fun practice! (So maybe keep an eye out for a thread for them in the future?) :kaohi: These boyos are Pink Slimes and a Tabby Slime from Slime Rancher.​
Just dropped the trailer! Link to download and play is in the description!

Showcasing Plugins that Record Video, and Take Screenshots. :LZScheeze:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lalulu