How to Create Cutscenes

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by shockra, Oct 6, 2017.

1. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is a lesson I created to show cutscene creation. It begins in the second door in the East Hall (I changed the sign to the name Shockra) You may need to complete the orientation to start the class.

Download

NPCs:

Shockra: The teacher of the class. He's a brilliant engineer, but sometimes tends to be a bit impersonal.

Zayta: An AI created by Shockra.

Pictures:

Any picture file I added starts with ShockraCutscene.

Lesson Plan:

There are three major sections to the lesson. Part 1 is about triggers and conditions. Part 2 focuses on movement and placement. Part 3 touches on map animations.

Items:

Only one item added: a Power Core needed to use a key part of the lesson (trying to avoid too many spoilers).

CaptainRadish and Poryg like this.
  2. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice lesson. To the point definitely and definitely suited for a complete beginner!
    I couldn't find any bugs in it, the only things I didn't like were excessive bubbles and not the best sound effect choice - the crush was very annoying.
    Also, maybe it would be better to share project folder instead of a deployed game....

Other than that I have nothing to say against it :D

CaptainRadish likes this.
  3. shockra

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, deploying the game that way was a bad judgment call on my part. I know I didn't encrypt it, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get the base files, but if necessary, I can repost with the project uncompiled. In any case, I'm glad you liked it!

Poryg likes this.
  4. waz

waz Veteran Veteran

Hi there. I figure you got better knowledge on making cutscenes, soo I kinda am in a pinch here.

I'm trying to make a SV battle cutscene. So basically, there will be two characters fighting, conversing with each other. I may not be doing the efficient but I still manage to have them fight. My problem now is technically not on the "cutscene". I would like to remove the interface below (where the face of the player is shown) during the cutscene. I think this issue revolves around commands? So, please help?

5. shockra

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Getting rid of the interface window like that isn't something that can be done without scripting. There's no default command for it in the command window. I can't say for certain what the script is, but I'm guessing it involves either rpg_windows or rpg_scenes. Honestly, most of the cutscenes I do are on maps, not battles, and that's what I designed the lesson around, so you may be asking the wrong guy about this.

6. waz

waz Veteran Veteran

Oh.. okay copy that. Thanks for the information :)

7. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think you might need to add Yanfly's Message core and use the nameboxes to be consistent with the rest of the project.

I'm not the biggest fan of the floor you used in your classroom, I think it makes the text a little hard to read. The screenshots you took also seem to be very small, so it's near impossible to read stuff like the event commands. You might want to replace those with bigger pictures. If you were worried about image size, compressing the .png works really well and you shouldn't see any loss in quality. (This is the point where it seems like I just need to wear glasses, right? :guffaw:)

You've got a few typos where there's a double space following the end of a sentence. Unless that was intentional? I didn't notice any other issues though.

The lesson itself is superb! The story is fun, and your explanations are really clear and easy to understand. I think this'll really help
    beginners to the software. :kaoluv:

8. shockra

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I get the issue with the pictures. When I cropped the screenshots, I felt they took up too much of the screen, so I did wind up shrinking a lot of them. I may need to make them bigger.

Also, the double space after sentences was intentional. But as long as it didn't split any of the words, it should be fine. Unless...I made the project before it was decided that Message Core would be used. Adding it may have tweaked the placement of some of the words. I didn't add the plugin myself, but if it was added at some point, it may have altered things in a way I wasn't aware of.

9. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There weren't any word issues that I noticed. Message Core shouldn't mess anything up (unless wordwrap is going to be turned on, but I think the main purpose of adding it was for the extra text codes and name boxes). As far as I know we're going to be in charge of transferring our lessons over, so no one else will be altering your lesson. You'll just want to add nameboxes to your dialogue to make it match up with the style of everyone elses. They've got their own line, so as long as you don't accidentally add spaces after the namebox code there should be no change to your text. :D