How to create Element Wall Skills

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Guardinthena, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Guardinthena

Guardinthena Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I am new to making skills and do not understand all the ends and outs of it, so please bare with me.

I want to create a number of elemental wall skills. These skills would summon in, in this example, a wall of fire on the enemy(ies). I want it to remain for X turns, and the animation to remain visible on the battle map. In another example, I want to create a Wall of Ice that the enemy would have to destroy first before they can hit the enemy, unless they have ranged weapons. How in the world do I create these?

I am using a number of Yanfly's plugins: Battle Engine Core, Action Sequence Pack 1-3, Row Formations, BuffsandStates Core, TagertCore, Area of Effect, and Element Core to name a few.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That is going to take a plug-in or two. There's no way with the default engine to keep the animation up, or have it block with walls of Ice. Plus the AI will have to be reprogrammed to handle it as well.

Moved to Plug-in Requests

Guardinthena likes this.
  3. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There might be a way to do this but it's going to be very complex to set up. Use Yanfly's Visual State Effects to have a looping effect of what your wall animation will be and tag them to the proper states. How are you handling skills? If Physical and Range skills are their own skill types then you can have the states block those skills, Otherwise, you'll have to individually seal each skill. As for your wall of ice example, you can have the state give a special ability that can be used to remove the state or just lower the state count if you're using yanfly's state control plugin.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Guardinthena likes this.
  4. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you for such a speedy reply, @Uzuki and thank you for moving this to the right place @bgillisp.

I do not have Yanfly's Visual State Effects so I'll pick that up! When I was first trying to build the skill I thought I only needed the action sequences and realized after some fiddling that wasn't the case.

I am just starting building up my skills, but my future plans are to implement ammo for ranged weapons and applying elements of physical, slashing, bludgeoning or piercing where needed. This was the idea at least.

I am going to have to look up Yanfly's State Control too, can't say I've ever looked at it before. And I am a little confused on what you meant by the last part for the Ice Wall.

So when the spell/skill is cast, it would have to be tied to a state that removes its own state? I don't understand that part. Did you mean link it to a limited turn?

Edit: Google search did not turn up Yanflys State Control. Did you mean another of their plugins?

5. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry about that I was misremembering the name, it's Buffs and States Core plugin. And in the example you provided I was saying that you could make a skill to either lower the turns that Ice Wall is up or just outright remove it.

Guardinthena likes this.
  6. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay, I struck on genius with this today. So I've made the Wall of Fire and Wall of Ice a Summoned 'actor' using SumRndmDde's Summon Core plugin. This solves the problem of the walls remaining on the battlefield, as I have had to create SV battler's for the walls. This also resolves a visual I would have liked with the Ice Wall getting damaged as it weakened. Using this method I can also place a Passive State on the Walls using Yanfly's Auto Passive States Plugin so the walls always have Taunt, thereby making the enemies attack the walls until the walls leave when their summoned turns are over.

The slight problem I have now is how do I make the system auto guard with the walls so the player has no control over them? I am also uncertain how to set up a state (I presume is needed here) for the Fire Wall to deal Fire damage and a Burning State when it is attacked. Is this a counter attack? A passive state ability of some sort? I am at a loss on how to proceed with that.

EDIT:

One step forward, two steps back. Just realized that there is an incompatibility issue with SumRndmdde's Summon Core and Yanfly's Battle Core. The Summon Core works perfectly, but Yanfly's plugin has a fit when the battler suddenly disappears from combat.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019