Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi:

I wanted to try this new map idea where the player can walk under the building column.
How do I achieve this?

- I don't want to change passability of the tiles cuz I use the same tiles and tilesets on other maps, so this will create other problems down the road.

- I tried the VZ Event Move Core. While it was cool, it makes the player go THROUGH it, instead of going under it.

- The one example in RTP they did it with the roof tiles specifically set to stars.

- I tried the Overpass plugin, but I couldn't even initialize it.

Is there any "secret passage" plugin that allows the player to go through something?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Summer 9_24_2021 10_43_45 PM.png
    Summer 9_24_2021 10_43_45 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had a similar problem and ended up figuring out a workaround through eventing.

There has to be a better option but, in case it doesn't work out, here's what I did:

RivalRamen_Games

Dimensional Drifter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
WARNING! Wasn't sure if you used MV at first, but if you do, this should help! I'm an MZ noob. I don't even have MZ.
Yanfly has a plugin for MV that allows you to make it so events can and can't pass through certain tiles, and that extends to players, too! The plugin is called, "YEP Region Restrictions," and it's very simple to use! I use it in my games to keep pesky NPC's out of one-tile wide spaces. I'm not sure if Yanfly made that plugin for MZ, though. :kaoblush:Here's the video explaining how to use it!!Then, make an event on top of the place you want the player to be able to go under, and set its image to the exact same as the tile it's on! Make the event's priority over players. And you're done!

Last edited:

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Region Restrictions is my favorite plugin and it works in MZ, at least for my basic use of it! I tried this route for passages but the player was displayed over the tiles. I often use what I call "overlay" Events to walk under stuff but don't think you would be able to do this with walls, because A-tiles are not an image option for Events.

@RivalRamen_Games - I like your thinking and wonder if I'm missing something?

Last edited:

dm604

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you, everyone. I tried the Yanfly aka VZ plugin for MZ, but it didn't work for me. The pic in my original post was with that plugin.

I tried all these things, searched on Japanese and Chinese forums, and watched countless youtube videos and NONE of these worked for me!!!

The OcRam plugin didn't work the first time, as I went through walls just like the VZ plugin (in all fariness, maybe I didn't set it up properly).

Here is my final solution that WORKS!

So I decided to give ocRam a second try.

1) Install ocRam core.
2) Install OcRam_Passage.js.

Make sure that ocRam core is loaded ABOVE the passage.js (This is the rule for ALL plugins. Always put the core/base first).

Here's the important part:
16 - You go THROUGH it.
19 - You go UNDER it.

The tricky part is that you need to place 16 next to 19, otherwise you can't go out!

I hope this short tutorial helps, as I have encountered many similar posts during my research and none of them provided a clear instruction.

I'll see if I can upload a video.

Thank you everyone. :)

Edit:
Here's the video demonstrating it:

I have to say that ocRam's plugin is AMAZING! Other plugins require you to set up notetags, events, or whatever, but his plugin is pretty much just plug and play.

His instruction can be confusing to a newbie like me, but I'm glad that I worked it out after trying all the possible combinations.

Attachments

• Summer - RPG Maker MZ 9_25_2021 12_13_22 AM.png
    Summer - RPG Maker MZ 9_25_2021 12_13_22 AM.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Annotation 2021-09-25 000925.png
    Annotation 2021-09-25 000925.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for sharing your solution with us. And great that you found one!

dm604

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
why using a plugin at all?

make a passable place, and cover it by an event that uses a tile but is set to "above character"

Your solution is brilliant as well. Thanks for sharing!

I tried it, but it seems to have the following problems:

- Event sprites are stored in the Characters folder, I copied and pasted the same tile sheet to the folder. However, there seems to be a difference in size, so the tile doesn't appear properly.
Is there anything I'm missing?

Is there any way to use this method without using Photoshop?

I actually prefer to do it without a plugin, as I fear that I'm using too many plugins already.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any way to use this method without using Photoshop?
yes, very simple
scroll down to the bottom of the sprite list where the tiles from the map's B-E tilesheets are listed and select one there.

dm604

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
yes, very simple
scroll down to the bottom of the sprite list where the tiles from the map's B-E tilesheets are listed and select one there.

But my walls and pillars are from SF_Inside_A4.png and the selectors only show B-E tilesheets, as you mentioned.

Is there any way to add A tilesheet to the selector?

Attachments

• Summer - RPG Maker MZ 9_25_2021 2_56_18 AM.png
    Summer - RPG Maker MZ 9_25_2021 2_56_18 AM.png
    496.5 KB · Views: 1

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But my walls and pillars are from SF_Inside_A4.png and the selectors only show B-E tilesheets, as you mentioned.

Is there any way to add A tilesheet to the selector?
You can simply open up the A tilesheet in GIMP/whatever image editor...select that one tile and either copy it to an empty spot on another sheet or just save it as its own image in \characters.

(although if you copy it to an empty spot on another sheet, you don't even need the whole event process, just make that copied tile have star passability)

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Technically you don't need any of this in MZ since you can now use the star property on autotiles.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's good to know, but the OP probably does not want every instance of that wall type to be walked through.

shukrin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can simply open up the A tilesheet in GIMP/whatever image editor...select that one tile and either copy it to an empty spot on another sheet or just save it as its own image in \characters.

(although if you copy it to an empty spot on another sheet, you don't even need the whole event process, just make that copied tile have star passability)
may i ask specifically what are the requirement for the character png to be usable as event, what are the pixel size? I remember trying this method not long ago, but the selection square become this weird long rectangular shape and i cant pick the tile for use. Granted, i simply tried by copying the tiles set and move it to the characters folder. That was silly of me, but at least now I can ask you how to do it right.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
may i ask specifically what are the requirement for the character png to be usable as event, what are the pixel size?
In MZ, click Help -> Contents, then on the left-hand pane open up Documentation -> Asset Standards. That tells you how to format all of the images and audio types used by RPG Maker.

Character sprite sheets are divided by a certain number lengthwise and vertically, depending on how you name the file.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
may i ask specifically what are the requirement for the character png to be usable as event, what are the pixel size?
if you're asking for a pixel size that usually means that you didn't understand how the RM sprites work.
please read the following tutorial and you'll understand that part:

SoulBlade32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I just usually have it as an "auto-event" where once the player tries walking into the area I set the character sprite to "through" and make them invisible, then I have the event walk them through the object into the next room and disable through and make them visible again. Likewise, you could just have them walk all the way through the "hidden passage" if it's more than one tile and do the same thing, then have the event walk them back out once it gives the items from the chest or whatever.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Climbing to the top #mapping
1638160732198.png
I've started the first steps of the final few maps that I need to make for B:ms. I haven't been able to say that in a really, really long time. It'd probably be a good idea to blog about this or something.
Question for the Mods: What am I supposed to do when I can't make a synopsis 350 words long? (for project recruitment thread) @Shaz @mlogan
The game is meant to be more on the simple side in order to be achievable so I'm a bit stuck...
Had a nice visit with our family. Dad grilled some burgers and mom made baked beans and fudge. We also watched Foul Play. Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn make an awesome duo. I am surprised how much of the movie I forgot LOL. How did everyone else's holidays go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
themusicl