How to creating a repeating event! Text & flashing monument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllStarHutch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I've recently started using RPG Maker MV and, in the process found this great forum. At the moment I'm stuck and kind of lost at what I need to do.

So, I have a stone monument and when the player interacts with it, it'll offer a choice to read it. When 'yes' is selected the monument will light up and more text can be read. The trouble I'm having is repeating that event. So far it'll only let me select it once. This is no doubt a really simple thing to do but I just can't figure it out. I've added pictures below of what I've done so far. The text is just a placeholder at the minute, not that it matters.

[ISPOILER]RPGMV HELP.png[/ISPOILER]

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Use Selfswitches for this, if you want to copy/paste the events. You should practice more with swicthes and variables, maybe other projects or tutorials from the forum would be useful for this.
On page 2 in codition: selfswitch A=ON, and on page 3, in condition, select selfswitch B=On. Then replace your switches with seldwitches on page 1.

AllStarHutch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Use Selfswitches for this, if you want to copy/paste the events. You should practice more with swicthes and variables, maybe other projects or tutorials from the forum would be useful for this.
On page 2 in codition: selfswitch A=ON, and on page 3, in condition, select selfswitch B=On. Then replace your switches with seldwitches on page 1.
I will look into that. Thank you for your help.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The event is getting stuck on page 3 after reading. Instead, it should return to page 1.

The monument has only two states: on and off. That's one (self-)switch, e.g.

◆Text:None, Window, Bottom : :Read this? ◆Show Choices:Yes, No (Window, Right, #1, #2) :When Yes ◆Control Self Switch:A = ON ◆Text:None, Window, Bottom : :Text! ◆Control Self Switch:A = OFF ◆Control Switches:#0001 Monument Read = ON ◆ :When No ◆ :End
I.e. the glowy effect (self-switch A) turns on when reading starts, and turns off when reading ends. :kaohi:

I've included a second switch here, "Monument Read", in case you want to track whether the player has read the monument later on. If you don't need to track that (e.g. it's only some optional lore) then one switch is sufficient.

Regarding switches:
  • Self-switches are for when you only need to track something within a single event.
  • "Normal" switches are for when you want to track something across multiple events.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Great! Is it all working as intended now? If so, then I'll close the thread.

AllStarHutch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually whilst what I’ve been given works it doesn’t seem to link up at it were. The monument is 6 squares and each one is separate and acts independently from one and other. So only one square lights up at a time as opposed to all of it.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh, I see! I think you have two options here:
  1. Make some more events to cover the other tiles. You could give each of those events a single page with condition: Switch "Monument Active" is ON.
    • When the switch is off, the events are inactive/invisible, showing the map tiles (light off).
    • When the switch is on, the events are active/visible (light on).
    It would have to be a normal switch in that case because they're all separate events.

2. Alternatively, make a spritesheet for the monument by copy+pasting the relevant tiles (light on/off) into a new .png. This allows you to give a single event an image that is larger than a single tile.

This requires some understanding of how spritesheets are set up, and is only a visual change. The size of an event's image does not affect its collisions or anything like that.
I recommend option 1 here, but they're both valid approaches~ :kaopride:

If you want to read up on RMMV's spritesheet format, you can check Help -> Contents from the editor, or online at https://rmmv.neocities.org/. Resource specs can be found under Documentation -> Asset Standards.

AllStarHutch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm probably being really thick here, but it's still not working. The lower centrepiece is great, it lights up upon the player selecting yes to read it and then when the reading is finished it goes back to its unlit look. Now I've done as you've said for the others, created 5 events for each monument piece and added the condition. But it still isn't working.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Did you remember to change the self-switch for a "normal" switch in your main event? Your main event should look something like this:

◆Text:None, Window, Bottom : :Read this? ◆Show Choices:Yes, No (Window, Right, #1, #2) :When Yes ◆Control Switches:#0002 Monument Glow = ON ◆Text:None, Window, Bottom : :Text! ◆Control Switches:#0002 Monument Glow = OFF ◆ :When No ◆ :End
This switch, which I've named "Monument Glow" here, is the condition for each of the 5 extra events.

If you don't see anything wrong there, it might help to share screenshots of:
  • The main event (the one that shows the text etc);
  • One of the 5 extra events you've just made.
:kaohi:

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You're welcome! Happy RPG Making~ :kaojoy:

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when you came up with a very good game title, but when you searched it, it has already been used... T.T
Crazy week. My anxiety decides to go nutz. Worse thing about it is that it causes me to lose focus on my work. I was able to leave early one day and take a nap. Seemed to help. How is everyone? Boosters coming soon here. Get my life back on track again.
Finally got my new Discord Server up & Running! I'm still improving it as much as I can, & I'm open for any Suggestions!
I've been busy trying out different art styles for my game.

Enemies deserve some spotlight also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolfy0913