How to deal with a lot of branching

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
So things are going really smoothly with my game so far and I'm really hyped about it, but it includes a lot of branching and I'm getting a headache just to think about it. :dizzy:

I mean, the choices the player makes affect the story, but also the dialogues the main character have with his companions (they remember the choices the player made in the past). There is also an affinity system that will affect how the characters interact with each other.

For those who dealt with similar stuff, how do you get yourself organised to avoid getting confused in all the different branching? I don't expect this to be easy, but any tips and tricks to make my life easier would be welcome. I also think this could help other game makers that are in my situation. ;)

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't made a game using this yet, but I've started writing a story. One think that helps is making a separate text document of some kind, and writing out the different options in a bulleted list.
Hope this helps!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are programs which can help you with this, but it will always be a hassle (and that is the reason why a lot of professional games don't bother with branching).

The choice of program goes from free mind-map-type programs over planning programs like MS Visio (purchase an older Microsoft office pro to get it for 10$ or so) up to professional game-planning programs like Articy: draft (which has a lot of options, but cheapest version on steam for 200$, unless you're lucky and get it for 70$ or less in a steam sale).

Last edited:

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
There are programs which can help you with this, but it will always be a hassle (and that is the reason why a lot of professional games don't bother with branching).
It's a shame, really, these types of games are my favorites.

The choice of program goes from free mind-map-type programs over planning programs like MS Visio (purchase an older Microsoft office pro to get it for 10$ or so) up to professional game-planning programs like Articy:Draft (which has a lot of options, but cheapest version on steam for 200$, unless you're lucky and get it for 70$ or less in a steam sale).
Thank you! I wasn't aware such programs existed. I'll probably try with the free/cheapest ones first and see how it goes. 200$ is kind of a big deal for me... I'll probably simplify the branching if it's too complicated and change my game before spending that much money.

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Keep a flow chart handy. It helps, seeing things visually laid out infront of you. Humans have a rather potent visual memory, so the more you take advantage of it, the less of a struggle it will be.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check out Trello, Its a Free Online Organizing program. I use it often to play the Flow of my Game and store Sub-Data within each Step.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have money to spare, you should check out Articy Draft. I got my version during a Steam sale. I originally didn't think I'd get much use out of it, but it really helps to keep everything related to my game organised. I can plot dialogue, create items, flesh out characters, locations, etc using it. Much more orderly than having lots of text documents.

It's also a fairly visual program. You can plot out branching dialogue trees and plot points, link characters to them, locations, and other such things using a nifty flow chart type thing.

Don't bother getting the latest version if you only plan on using it for organising RPG Maker games, see if you can find an older, cheaper version.

Last edited:

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check out Trello, Its a Free Online Organizing program. I use it often to play the Flow of my Game and store Sub-Data within each Step.
I use trello, and I can highly recommend this. It is also a good tool to use to help manage large development teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Got MV on Steam during the Lunar New Year Sale! Happy Year of the Rat everyone!
Oh, stop with the Melodrama...

...Listen to it instead!

anybody else like getting baked whilst coding?

When you go to the beach watch out for coconuts. Coconuts are more dangerous than sharks. Fact.
Try to get into pixelart again, so far its a sucess.
Also finally found a useful pixeltutorial which helps a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disaffect