Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When using a show text command, the letters appear one by one in the dialogue box. I'd like to know if there's a way to know when the full message has been displayed.

Basically, I'm trying to create an animated talking mouth. I don't want the animation to continue until the next show text event, so I was hoping there's some kind of script that I could use in a conditional branch. If text is still being drawn= show talking animation else= show closed mouth.

There are some plugins such as text sounds that stop once all the text is finished, so I assume it's possible somehow.

Sakurra

I want a brownie.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would think it depends on how long your animation is. The only thing I could suggest is using variables to time your animation time and when you animation time is over to stop the picture. If that makes any sense.

So basically a variable called timer and timing each of your events separately?

I'm not really sure either, I'm just throwing ideas others have shared with me before. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edit: I'll try to be more specific in what I was saying. Maybe make a variable timer that goes with your message display and find out what "time" the variable stops on when the message finishes. And then conditional branch that number for when if equals, stop the picture playing.

mjshi

Jack of Most Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Those text sound effect scripts actually activate when each letter is being shown, and have no idea when the message ends, only that there aren't any letters anymore (the whole thing is wrapped in a quasi for-loop)

The whole bit of code that handles message processing is embedded pretty deep into the system, so it's pretty much impossible for there to be a vanilla way to check if all text has been shown. If you know some coding, you can check out Window_Message and Game_Message in rpg_windows.js and rpg_objects.js.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
SceneManager._scene._messageWindow.isEndOfText();

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you all for your advice :kaojoy:
I would think it depends on how long your animation is. The only thing I could suggest is using variables to time your animation time and when you animation time is over to stop the picture.

The animation is basically a mouth flap. I just wanted a more dynamic way to show who is speaking, plus I think it adds visual interest. It sounds like your method would involve timing out each message window? Which isn't really an option I want to go for XD But using timers is a pretty cool idea, so I think I might use that for other animations :D Thanks!

so it's pretty much impossible for there to be a vanilla way to check if all text has been shown.
Thanks for clearing that up! I don't know any coding, so I'm going to try and see if any of my clever friends can help... If we come up with a solution, I'll be sure to post it up! I know that there were a few unanswered plugin requests hoping for animated bust type things as well.

SceneManager._scene._messageWindow.isEndOfText();
That really didn't want to work with any of my plugins, so I tried it on a new project, but it's conflicting with rpg managers.js anyway..

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It shouldn't be conflicting with rpg_managers.js, it's *part* of rpg_managers.js. What's happening when you try to use it?

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is what I'm getting
Untitled.png

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I guess I should post something on my game advancements.
Hmm, tough crowd...I wish I had screenshots for my prototype idea...but alas, I do not.
How many tentacles does an octopus have?
TEN-tacles.

XD I just heard this joke the other day and love it.
Future Mike.png
was fun to draw my characters for something other than my game for once. made some new designs for them, one being based on a friend's version of my character for his comic. I'll fix this up at some point tho as I feel I wanna use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chook