How to enjoy making database items

Yo Ewan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is my first tutorial, so it may suck.

====================================================================================================================================================

In many cases, I have seen people go on about how creating new items and formulas are 'boring', and creating art and maps are a lot more fun.

I personally find the opposite.

If I'm ever feeling tired or hopeless, I just like to create a new weapon or item.

But why do I enjoy it, and how? 

Continue reading to find out.

Creating Items

When you create an item, get creative.

Don't just create a potion since it's what every other RPG does, or just one item of each type.

Try to make your items as cool as possible.

For example, instead of just creating a 'Sword' and call it a day, make about twenty types. 

Trust me, there's nothing better than upgrading your stuff it RPG's, you feel like you can face anything! 

Create a 'Sword of Agony and Death'. It's much better than 'Powerful Sword'.

Or make about 5 potion types. I find it fun to make the curve between good and bad.

Have some fun with the descriptions too; if you think it fits, make a few of them funny.

In my game, for example, the description for the clown fish was 

"Insert Finding Nemo Joke/reference here." 

I'm sure you can think of better, but oh well.

Formulas

Formulas are slightly harder to enjoy.

But it's possible. 

Think of your favourite game.

(That's how you spell it in England., so shut up : D )

Mine is The Elder Scrolls.

Just try to base it on that.

Look on  the wiki at weapon damage and enemy strength, and work it out from there.

Thanks for reading.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

This is less a tutorial and more general tips, so I'm moving it there.

SinSilver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the tips, a lot of times the easiest things are the most mundane things to do but this list should make it easier for creators to get the most out of the experience. 

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I love creating database items and I tend to abuse the formula box for complex stuff once I got the full datasheet. (I seriously hate coding. blergh). You'd be surprised how complicated you can make things just using states and abusing the formulas.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nice little list of tips. For me the situation was a bit in reverse; I actually enjoyed fiddling around with the formulas but the item creation was a bit static (I had all my names prewritten so I just had to put them in). 

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's satisfying when you've thought it all out and then proceed to nicely organise everything so it looks neat and makes it easy to find stuff in a big list of things. Having a messy, unorganised list of database entries is a nightmare, and only gets worse as you continue progress with your game (speaks from experience). :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm listening to iiluminaughtii talking about the secrets behind shady businesses and scams. Meanwhile I'm writing a fanfic about Sephiroth from FF7, one specifically for my stepmom. I'll get to give it to her, too, because my boss said I could take the holidays off! Dec. 22-27 I will be in Orlando, and maybe Fort Myers too, visiting my dad and stepmom!
Of course, I bought a handful of games on the Steam Black Friday sale. Will I try them? Will I complete any? Who knows...
I don't really have any neat updates today about how I screwed up programming... But if you want to observe the intensenes of me programming, then you can check out my stream :)
New Weapons.gif
No more spam from me today, I promise! Just wanted to upload this, people have been giving me feedback that my weapon sprites (which were RTP) clashed badly with my battlers for ages, so today I finally took the plunge and updated them! Really happy with how they came out :D :D
So Facebook fraudulently took money from me. They even went through my PayPal accounts to find a card that had the money on it. Thinking about deleting my Facebook account because this doesn't happen on twitter, not even close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsvan