How to event a player flying over a map and get hit by random lightnings?

Ayureen

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello I'm totally new to rpgMaker
and I'm curious to get my very first project started!
But right for my starting scene I came across a problem and would appreciate some help.

Thank you in advance!!

Like the thread title says:
I was wondering if it's possible to make an event/mini game where the player is flying in the sky and needs to avoid random lightnings for a couple of times till he gets hit by a undodgable lightning which would trigger a cutscene.

First I was thinking of something similar to Galv's Invader mini game:
player auto moves, keeps flying over a scrolling map and need to avoid lightnings which hit random areas of the map but as far as I searched I don't think it would be even possible to just event?

Does anyone know if there is a way to get this evented (or is a complex script or plugin needed for the effect I want to achieve?)

Or might there be another way to get this done without the player automoving over a scrolling map?

I really would appreciate some ideas how I could get my event working, to be said I have no experience at all in rpgmaker or in programming in general.
So I hope there might be a simple way.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My very strongest advice - do not try to do this as your first project in RPG Maker with no experience. Do the tutorial, make a sample game to learn how the engine works.

What you're asking is like someone saying they have never touched a piano but they want to play Für Elise. Sure, they can watch a video and learn how to play one note at a time, but it'll take forever and they aren't actually learning how to play the piano.

Do some simple stuff to learn how events and cutscenes work before tackling your ambitious dream game. To actually answer your question, I can't think off the top of my head of a simple way to event a continuously-scrolling map, so if you've seen a plugin that does, I don't know why you wouldn't use it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does anyone know if there is a way to get this evented
if you know what you're doing, it can be invented - and I would consider it mediocre difficulty. It is more than a simple event, but people have done much more complex things with eventing.

That said, as the post above describes it is NOT something that can be learned isolated from the rest. As with all more advanced eventing, you need to know how events function and what commands are there for which purpose before you could even start designing this (and many other) minigames.

I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature - that will guide you to a lot of tutorials on eventing and on the engine. And while it was written for VXAce, eventing hasn't changed since then - the same tutorials are still correct for MV and MZ.

Ayureen

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you know what you're doing, it can be invented - and I would consider it mediocre difficulty. It is more than a simple event, but people have done much more complex things with eventing.

That said, as the post above describes it is NOT something that can be learned isolated from the rest. As with all more advanced eventing, you need to know how events function and what commands are there for which purpose before you could even start designing this (and many other) minigames.

I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature - that will guide you to a lot of tutorials on eventing and on the engine. And while it was written for VXAce, eventing hasn't changed since then - the same tutorials are still correct for MV and MZ.
First of all:
Thank you for some constructive criticism and the link in your signature!

To say I'm not such a complete beginner as I pointed out at the beginning. I'm sorry for that. But my experience with rpgmaker is a bit behind and my skills are a bit rusty. I have evented smaller/simpler things in the past and at least know the basics.

It's already good to know that this event I want to do is actually doable! (Medicore or not, I'm not afraid to challenge something difficult to event at all! I think it's the best way to improve my skills, from simple events to little more complex.)

Only question that remains is how to get it done:

It would be great if you could lend me a helping hand on how I get the the player continiously moving left/right and the map continiously scrolling.
I think to set the lightning on random tiles which get triggered when the player touch them (fly above them).

I can imagine how I get other events I planned done by myself but this really keeps me stucked...

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would be great if you could lend me a helping hand on how I get the the player continiously moving left/right and the map continiously scrolling.
I forgot in my initial post that there's a box right in the map settings to loop your map because I've never used it.

I'm not sure about the rest. There's a scroll map command, but that wouldn't move your player. You can use a Move Route on your player, but that wouldn't allow it to accept input vertically.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the set move route command can be targeted at the player, commanding the player to move even without key presses. you just need a parallel process map event that commands the player to move in the direction you want, followed by a wait(10) or whatever wait you want to allow manual input before the next automated move.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your could use RNG variables + set event location to have an invisible event jump around and then lightning strike animations play on that event.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the set move route command can be targeted at the player, commanding the player to move even without key presses.
The point, as I understand the OP, is they need the player to try to dodge the lightning, which means it needs to accept keypresses up/down while they're automatically flying to the right - like a bullet hell game.

I'm thinking maybe make the player sprite invisible and leave it on a parallel move route going sideways, then have another parallel event catching up/down input to manipulate another, visible event.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ATT_Turan exactly - which is why I explained with the waitframes in the next sentences you didn't quote

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar it doesn't work. While the player is being controlled by a move route it can't accept input to move in a different direction, no matter what else the event is doing.

Your proposal, as I understand it, would allow the player to move up and down between lateral movements, but that won't have the map be continuously scrolling.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also the player could be holding backwards movement

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While the player is being controlled by a move route it can't accept input to move in a different direction,
but he isn't permanently controlled by the set move route. The wait command is outside the move route.
And the map scrolling will be automatically because the player is forced to move along the map in those parts where the move route gives commands.

@Tiamat-86 yes, that is correct - but that is why I said the OP had to modify the number of waits for the speed.

and I assumed that the OP wanted a form of rigged game that will end in a loss but gives the illusion of being able to be won from the original description - otherwise he could simply remove player control completely and make it a cutscene.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but he isn't permanently controlled by the set move route. The wait command is outside the move route.
And the map scrolling will be automatically because the player is forced to move along the map in those parts where the move route gives commands.
Yes, but whenever you press up/down to dodge lightning, the character will not be simultaneously moving to the right, which means the scrolling will stop at those times. I mean, I just created the event you described in a new project and the result is not a continuous side-scroll, so I'm just not sure what you're going for.

Ayureen

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry for the late reply, but I hadn't time to answer earlier. Too much were going on the last days.

But thank you all so much for all these answers!!!!

But if I get that right, it seems to me that I would be better off just doing a cut-scene instead of trying to somehow get this little not really winable mini-game done, aren't I?

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But if I get that right, it seems to me that I would be better off just doing a cut-scene instead of trying to somehow get this little not really winable mini-game done, aren't I?
My personal opinion: regardless of how easy or difficult it is to implement this, if it's not winnable and there isn't anything you can achieve during it, I think it's better to be a cutscene.

One of my pet peeves is the old trope of the battle where you're scripted to lose, it's a part of the story, but you have to sit there entering the commands for however many turns. Just make it a cutscene and save me the effort.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of my pet peeves is the old trope of the battle where you're scripted to lose, it's a part of the story, but you have to sit there entering the commands for however many turns. Just make it a cutscene and save me the effort.
agree with 1 exception.
when game has fight at the beginning using mid~high level party and the fight is serving 3 purposes.
1: builds lore focused around the villain. this can be accomplished with as little as 0~2 small lines of dialog.
2 and 3: serves both a demo and partial tutorial of what you can expect later in the game, combat flow, skill accessibility.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1: builds lore focused around the villain. this can be accomplished with as little as 0~2 small lines of dialog.
You don't need a combat for this, and you can have those exact same 0-2 small lines if it's a cutscene.
2 and 3: serves both a demo and partial tutorial of what you can expect later in the game, combat flow, skill accessibility.
I don't even know what this means :stickytongue: The combat flow is the same playing with your level 1 characters that are going to continue in the story, and learning about skills works better as you gain them incrementally.

If my actions don't mean anything to the progression of the story, don't make me do them.

But this is tangential to the thread, there are probably dozens of existing threads about this old saw.

uglywolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Its a minigame, right? Not random event that happens in overworld map.
If its just that.

The OP can just warp the player on new map, where the PC sprite will change into ship.
And instead of PC being moved, he can use scrolling map BG to make it like the PC are the ones that moves.

The PC is set as static direction. If scripts aren't work, just make the sprite to not having other directions; this way, the button will accept directions, yet still feels like being moved by script.

Ofc, this requires a bit advanced eventing process, but it's not impossible.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Monday morning, and the sudden message: Hey, can you set up a full second lesson about pixel art till tomorrow?
No one:
Steam game achievement: "Die 100 times in easy mode".
I want to learn Javascript to create a custom menu, but I don't really know where to start.
One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diskzaz