redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was working in the editor and after a certain point all my old saves just started crashing on loading. I know it's a long shot, but I can provide data as I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.

The troublesome plugin is this one: github

1654001220816.png
1654001263757.png

All I did was adding one new model, I haven't even deleted the old ones. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me, because this plugin makes me a lot of trouble and I do not know how to work with it. I just need to understand what the problem is.

redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you click on the first error in a line, the cursor appears here. This means that the error occurred here, do I understand it correctly?
1654003672199.png

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a general rule, you can't continue to use old save games. When you change things in your database in the editor, you need to start a new game for those changes to take effect properly.

I'm surprised that trying to load them would crash if you didn't remove an asset they need, but just as regular practice you shouldn't be trying to load saves once you've done work on your game.

Did you just add that Live2D whatever? It looks like it's trying to read data from the save game that the save doesn't have because you didn't have that plugin when you saved.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"of undefined" always means that the engine has a reference to something that does not exist.

Usually that happens due to having things deleted or if a plugin configuration referenced something that does not exist, but there are other causes as well.

If this happens while you try to introduce a new model, it could be that the new model is still incomplete and missing data.
Or it could be that you pushed a different link or index to point to the wrong data when you forced the new model data in.

But no matter what, the engine is now trying to handle a reference to a data object that does not exist, that is undefined.

redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you just add that Live2D whatever? It looks like it's trying to read data from the save game that the save doesn't have because you didn't have that plugin when you saved.
No, I had the plugin for a long time, I just added new asset. I also overwrote it several times, could this be a problem? Anyway, I need to know if there is any way I can make the game not look for missing files? Or the problem is just in the fact that in the old saves stored information about the files that now do not exist?

Not being able to load old saves is very critical to me since it's an ongoing game and it's already been released.:frown:

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's a miracle you've made it far enough for your game to be released without running into this sooner. The only way you'll (maybe) be able to keep using old saves is if you remove whatever's undefined, which is literally counter-productive. My advice is a) use dev tools (there are a million plugins) to let you skip the parts you don't want to replay for test-play purposes and b) don't release unfinished work, except maybe as a demo, because this will always happen sooner or later.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Anyway, I need to know if there is any way I can make the game not look for missing files?
No. If a file is referenced in the saved version of your database, the game will try to load it.
Or the problem is just in the fact that in the old saves stored information about the files that now do not exist?
Correct.
Not being able to load old saves is very critical to me since it's an ongoing game and it's already been released.:frown:
As BenSD said, this is just undesirable (and to be fair to RPG Maker, there are bunches of informational threads about this that could've been looked up before you released something :wink: )

Your options are:
- You can only add to your database, not modify existing things or remove anything. And even then, depending on what you add, it may not be properly reflected in loaded save games.

- Write a program/plugin that will scan existing save games and modify them to be compatible with the latest version of your game. I presume this is beyond your coding abilities (professional studios don't usually bother doing this).

- Announce with a given release to your players that updating to this version will break compatibility with older saves. This is extremely common in video game development.

redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just fixed it. I don't know how, it was just a miracle. I just removed the data about another model from the game. Not even the last model I added. I will not even try to explain what I did because I do not understand it, the only thing I understand is that this plugin is a minefield and I will now have to check all systems after every slightest change.

It's a miracle you've made it far enough for your game to be released without running into this sooner.
It happened once before, I didn't know the reason back then, but now I do.
don't release unfinished work, except maybe as a demo, because this will always happen sooner or later.
Well, that's just my development way, I constantly release updates instead of making a complete game for a decade. If I decided to make a complete game with all my ambitions I'd probably died or cried or abandoned it a long time ago. Constant feedback is what motivate me on continuing.
use dev tools (there are a million plugins) to let you skip the parts you don't want to replay for test-play purposes and
There I'd like to listen to suggestions. Do you mean plugins like YEP test play assist? Not quite sure what are you talking about.
You can only add to your database, not modify existing things or remove anything. And even then, depending on what you add, it may not be properly reflected in loaded save games.
Well, I take the approach of "if I see that something can be improved, I do it". I'm just developing my skills and want to make the game better.

And before that, most of the time it was really okay. Yes, in some cases I changed maps so that some players' saves could be in the dead zone, in rare cases I made major changes to mechanics and variables, letting the players know that some things might not work. But most of the time this didn't lead to errors, all of the problems were due to maps, variables, quests, but errors due to the fact that I often change the engine, usually didn't happen. This live2d plugin actually creating like 80% of errors anyone could get.:confused: But it's important for me.

Is this approach of constant modifying really so uncommon among developers here?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not being able to load old saves is very critical to me since it's an ongoing game
even AAA-Companies sometimes fail at this.

I know dozens of first-class games where the companies had to release warnings that older savefiles were not compatible with the latest update.
You will have to severely limit what you can update if you want to remain save-compatible.

and sooner or later you will come to a point where you either have to stop updating or require older saves to become incompatible to a new update.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this approach of constant modifying really so uncommon among developers here?
Well, yes. Generally speaking, once a game is released, it's released. A publisher might have some patches to fix small bugs, but I haven't played any games (not counting MMOs) which continually get changed after release.

There's Stellaris, but they announce that saved games aren't compatible between game versions.

There's stuff in early access, which is not technically released, and again you are often told that game saves can't be used after updates.

Typical game development has alpha and beta builds and playtesting before consumer release.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

GABposterwork.png

Working on a new poster.
I just posted the first devlog for The Hidden Art of Innkeeping: https://seaphoenix.itch.io/hiddenart!

BeachLogo.png
Might start playing some rpg maker games and uploading the games on youtube. Realistically they're not going to be for views. Just to give anyone some feedback on any games they're working on. So if you'd like me to play and review your game just reply them down here. And I'll upload them on Rpg4MGames.
Ah, so THIS is what it feels like to sleep till I naturally wake up, and not be woken up by an alarm or other unwanted stimuli... holy crap I feel like I can lift a house! XD (Or work on my game)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielMenezes033