How to force a battle to end peacefully without forcing escape?

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!

I'd love to have a fight where at a certain point, the enemy just says enough already, and the fight simply ends.

I've been searching through all the pages in the events but I can't find a way to do this without forcing an escape for the entire party, which wouldn't work thematically.

I'm thinking there has to be a script call or some other way to just abort a battle and carry on with the event.

Thanks for any ideas!

-c

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unbenannt.png
This should be it, just fades out of the combat screen.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this for a specific battle?

if so, then my idea would be to make the enemies impossible to kill (do that however you want)
and also give them the trait "Collapse Effect: No Disappear".

Then, if the battle is supposed to end, just manually kill all the enemies by adding the death state to them. Your party members will perform their victory animations as usual, but all enemies will stay on the screen as if nothing happened.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this for a specific battle?

if so, then my idea would be to make the enemies impossible to kill (do that however you want)
and also give them the trait "Collapse Effect: No Disappear".

Then, if the battle is supposed to end, just manually kill all the enemies by adding the death state to them. Your party members will perform their victory animations as usual, but all enemies will stay on the screen as if nothing happened.

This is actually more than I was looking for, but now that I'm thinking about it, this seems pretty important since I'm worried that someone will find a way to kill my enemy troop before I can abort battle. What you've described here is a great trick, thank you!

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a whole variety of ways you can possibly implement this. All depends on what exactly you want. You can also implement the weakened motion from a battler sheet to make him look like giving up and what not. Just a lot of playing around, but they will probably all entail this abort battle command lol.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is actually more than I was looking for, but now that I'm thinking about it, this seems pretty important since I'm worried that someone will find a way to kill my enemy troop before I can abort battle. What you've described here is a great trick, thank you!
One thing I will add to this from a design perspective is that having unwinnable fights like this is usually not a great idea *unless* you make it clear to the player that that's the kind of fight they're in, because they will otherwise assume they're supposed to win and will expend whatever resources are necessary to do so. Unfortunately, one of those resources is finite (items) and it can feel like quite a cheat if you use up a bunch of items only to discover that you were never meant to be victorious in the first place.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing I will add to this from a design perspective is that having unwinnable fights like this is usually not a great idea *unless* you make it clear to the player that that's the kind of fight they're in, because they will otherwise assume they're supposed to win and will expend whatever resources are necessary to do so. Unfortunately, one of those resources is finite (items) and it can feel like quite a cheat if you use up a bunch of items only to discover that you were never meant to be victorious in the first place.

Point very well taken.

In this specific situation, the enemy will basically just rethink things after a couple of rounds and decide they don't want to fight.

To your point though, is there a straightforward way of logging which items have been used, in case they do use something valuable and finite, and I could return the item to the player as though the fight never happened afterwards?

I'm glad you brought that up.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Point very well taken.

In this specific situation, the enemy will basically just rethink things after a couple of rounds and decide they don't want to fight.

To your point though, is there a straightforward way of logging which items have been used, in case they do use something valuable and finite, and I could return the item to the player as though the fight never happened afterwards?

I'm glad you brought that up.
What you could do is a turn 0 battle event which stores a copy of $gameParty's _items array in a variable, then in the loss branch of the event, subtract that from the current array and add in any leftover items.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a tutorial that shows in more detail what @Trihan was describing.

It's presented as a skill, but you could follow the instructions to back up the party state/items and just run it as a one-time event at the end of battle.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a tutorial that shows in more detail what @Trihan was describing.

It's presented as a skill, but you could follow the instructions to back up the party state/items and just run it as a one-time event at the end of battle.

This is all really, really interesting. That writeup is fantastic and the sort of straightforward thing that still blows my mind. I think all my bases are covered now.

Thank you @Trihan and @ATT_Turan and everyone! Solved and closed!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hello! I’d like to ask where is a good place to start logging about my game dev progress as production of my game goes forth
In one of our campus classrooms was a bag full of stuff people forgot there... my bag. That I forgot there xD
You know your room is too tiny for how much stuff you have when it gives you literal insomnia. I just cleared a bunch of stuff out and man it feels good!
1670381555475.png
Meet the Kernel. You encounter him in cyberspace. He's important!
I released a test version of my game on itch.io. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link (for now in Brazilian Portuguese only, sorry).

https://rafael-lobo.itch.io/insolita

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayomitsu