RMMZ How to get 16x16 tiles or even 32x32 tiles to work in MZ?

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I recently just moved from the long years in RPG Maker XP to RPG Maker MZ, but I noticed tilesets are completely different, and the sizes are 1.5X instead of 2X, how would I even go about getting a 32x32 or 16x16 to work on MZ? I found a plugin that kind of helps, but it doesn't seem to work.

Edit:
I saw a post from MV talking about upscaling in photoshop using nearest neighbor, I did that and didn't expect it to work because I thought 1.5x wouldn't fit, but actually it fits just fine.
6dsMRNF.png

I don't want to rely on this solution though, part of why I moved to this engine was because I wanted to upscale the 16x16 tiles in the game. I hope you enjoy the land of ugly greens and pumpkins.

Last edited:

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You'll need to use a plugin to work with different tile sizes, but the map editor will still need 48x48 tiles to display the map properly, so what you'll need to do is have a copy of your tilesets resized to 48x48, that will be used only to draw the maps, then have a separate folder with your original tilesets in whatever size you want and tell the plugin to use that folder when running the game.

The only way to avoid having to do all that, is by using another map editor. I've created one that runs from inside your game so it'll always be using the same files as the game, removing the need for a copy.

and here's a plugin that can apply custom tile sizes to your game:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
You'll need to use a plugin to work with different tile sizes, but the map editor will still need 48x48 tiles to display the map properly, so what you'll need to do is have a copy of your tilesets resized to 48x48, that will be used only to draw the maps, then have a separate folder with your original tilesets in whatever size you want and tell the plugin to use that folder when running the game.

The only way to avoid having to do all that, is by using another map editor. I've created one that runs from inside your game so it'll always be using the same files as the game, removing the need for a copy.

and here's a plugin that can apply custom tile sizes to your game:

I tried to use the map editor and it really worked :3 nice plugin! I noticed I couldn't move events around though, but I'm guessing that might be because event positions are different than tile positions? Is there maybe a way I could easily position events to match the map after saving? since it jumbles it up on the normal editor.
Also now that I got tiles fixed and sprites can be any size, how would I make the game automatically upscale from 320x240 to 640x480? or would I have to work in 32x32 tiles which is fine. I really just don't like 48x48.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tried to use the map editor and it really worked :3 nice plugin! I noticed I couldn't move events around though, but I'm guessing that might be because event positions are different than tile positions? Is there maybe a way I could easily position events to match the map after saving? since it jumbles it up on the normal editor.
Also now that I got tiles fixed and sprites can be any size, how would I make the game automatically upscale from 320x240 to 640x480? or would I have to work in 32x32 tiles which is fine. I really just don't like 48x48.
ah yeah, I have not implemented the event manipulation part of the map editor, only the drawing part.
You can still move them using the normal editor, just use my editor to check what position you want to put them on, then move it tothe same position on RM.

As for your other question, there are other plugins that handle that (and MZ itself also has an option to select the resolution and window size on the database, to upscale you'll want to set 320x240 as resolution and 640x480 as window size).

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
ah yeah, I have not implemented the event manipulation part of the map editor, only the drawing part.
You can still move them using the normal editor, just use my editor to check what position you want to put them on, then move it tothe same position on RM.

As for your other question, there are other plugins that handle that (and MZ itself also has an option to select the resolution and window size on the database, to upscale you'll want to set 320x240 as resolution and 640x480 as window size).
Overall I like the editor, but I'll probably have to work with it in 32x32 since I can barely see what im doing with the tiles. I'm struggling to figure out how to get terrain tags to work? Like how would I set something as special passage, like the star thingy. idk i just remember it on xp as having like 3 different over layers

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Overall I like the editor, but I'll probably have to work with it in 32x32 since I can barely see what im doing with the tiles. I'm struggling to figure out how to get terrain tags to work? Like how would I set something as special passage, like the star thingy. idk i just remember it on xp as having like 3 different over layers
Everything that is not drawing the map itself is still done on Rpg Maker. In that case you need to configure things on the database screen.
The XP star passability doesn't exist in any other maker, but it can be achieved with plugins (though I don't know if there's any *free* plugin that does it).

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Everything that is not drawing the map itself is still done on Rpg Maker. In that case you need to configure things on the database screen.
The XP star passability doesn't exist in any other maker, but it can be achieved with plugins (though I don't know if there's any *free* plugin that does it).
It doesn't have the cool multi star stuff, but I saw an MV plugin for that on youtube I think, I was just wondering if there's a way to do the default single star on your map editor
eaeXWje.png

i just put that single star there for an example

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It doesn't have the cool multi star stuff, but I saw an MV plugin for that on youtube I think, I was just wondering if there's a way to do the default single star on your map editor
eaeXWje.png

i just put that single star there for an example
You just set the star on RM's database and it'll work. Since the star is not saved on the map itself my map editor doesn't have an option to change it, but if you go to Mode -> Tile Properties -> Passage, you can review the pasability of each tile.

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
You just set the star on RM's database and it'll work. Since the star is not saved on the map itself my map editor doesn't have an option to change it, but if you go to Mode -> Tile Properties -> Passage, you can review the pasability of each tile.
I don't think the tiles are showing up anywhere
LnctCAJ.png

me will cry if i have to remember the positions

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's the only way right now, but you can replace the file with a 48x48 copy of the tileset and then change it back after you set the passability.

Or keep the real tilesets on a separate folder and have a 48x48 copy just to use with MZ (this is what people used to do on MV, have a fake 48x48 file that is only used by the map editor). If you do keep that copy then you may prefer to do everything from MZ anyway and not even use Cyclone for anything.

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
It's the only way right now, but you can replace the file with a 48x48 copy of the tileset and then change it back after you set the passability.

Or keep the real tilesets on a separate folder and have a 48x48 copy just to use with MZ (this is what people used to do on MV, have a fake 48x48 file that is only used by the map editor). If you do keep that copy then you may prefer to do everything from MZ anyway and not even use Cyclone for anything.
I actually love your map editor and the fact it has a pixel movement script along side it, I also like that it's a centered view automatically and not a topleft view. I'll do a fake 32x32, probably not a 16x16 since I can't seem to find the scene upscaling plugins for MZ. Thank you for your help though I'm like super new to this since I skipped like 4 versions of RPG Maker. If you know any plugins that handle scene upscaling could I see one? :3 I checked on the Plugin master list but I couldn't find one, maybe I wasn't typing it in right.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I actually love your map editor and the fact it has a pixel movement script along side it, I also like that it's a centered view automatically and not a topleft view. I'll do a fake 32x32, probably not a 16x16 since I can't seem to find the scene upscaling plugins for MZ. Thank you for your help though I'm like super new to this since I skipped like 4 versions of RPG Maker. If you know any plugins that handle scene upscaling could I see one? :3 I checked on the Plugin master list but I couldn't find one, maybe I wasn't typing it in right.
There are two ways to upscale:
1) Rendering the whole game in 320x240 and then upscaling everything to 640x480.

MZ can do this type of upscaling automatically, using these options:

1611729902590.png

2) Upscaling the assets separately and then rendering the game directly in 640x480.

This option would have more legible text, but the effect is the same as if you had resized your asset files directly. I don't know of any plugin that does it.

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
There are two ways to upscale:
1) Rendering the whole game in 320x240 and then upscaling everything to 640x480.

MZ can do this type of upscaling automatically, using these options:

View attachment 177156

2) Upscaling the assets separately and then rendering the game directly in 640x480.

This option would have more legible text, but the effect is the same as if you had resized your asset files directly. I don't know of any plugin that does it.
I did what you said and set screen and ui to 640x480, but it still looks like it's rendering the original 16x16? just with wider and taller screen space. Maybe I missed something. I used to do step 2, but I thought that would be like a bad option to make, but I'll go ahead and try step 2 instead if I can't figure it out.

EDIT:
Somewhat related to resizing stuff for the game. I already have all my assets drawn out, including my own font, faces, and icons etc. But I just realized RPGMakerMZ faces and icons are hardcoded to 144 for faceWidth and faceHeight and 32 for iconWidth and iconHeight. How can I make a plugin that modify's these values. I'm also pretty new to Javascript, but I've done this before on Ruby.

Code:
ImageManager.iconWidth = 32;
ImageManager.iconHeight = 32;
ImageManager.faceWidth = 144;
ImageManager.faceHeight = 144;

Last edited:

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I did what you said and set screen and ui to 640x480, but it still looks like it's rendering the original 16x16? just with wider and taller screen space. Maybe I missed something. I used to do step 2, but I thought that would be like a bad option to make, but I'll go ahead and try step 2 instead if I can't figure it out.

EDIT:
Somewhat related to resizing stuff for the game. I already have all my assets drawn out, including my own font, faces, and icons etc. But I just realized RPGMakerMZ faces and icons are hardcoded to 144 for faceWidth and faceHeight and 32 for iconWidth and iconHeight. How can I make a plugin that modify's these values. I'm also pretty new to Javascript, but I've done this before on Ruby.

Code:
ImageManager.iconWidth = 32;
ImageManager.iconHeight = 32;
ImageManager.faceWidth = 144;
ImageManager.faceHeight = 144;
Someone has probably made a plugin for that already, but you can also just put that code in a .js file in your plugin folder and it should work.

On the params for upscaling, you need to set the screen to 320x240 and the UI to 640x480 (or the opposite, I don't remember right now).
I just updated the map editor with a new option to generate the 48x48 files automatically.

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Someone has probably made a plugin for that already, but you can also just put that code in a .js file in your plugin folder and it should work.

On the params for upscaling, you need to set the screen to 320x240 and the UI to 640x480 (or the opposite, I don't remember right now).
I just updated the map editor with a new option to generate the 48x48 files automatically.
I couldn't find a plugin that did that so I just made it like u said. Is the update on the makerdevs site because it says the last MZ update was on 9/9/2020?

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I couldn't find a plugin that did that so I just made it like u said. Is the update on the makerdevs site because it says the last MZ update was on 9/9/2020?
Yeah the date on makerdevs is from when I added the link there, but the plugin itself is stored elsewhere so it'll always be updated.

...Maybe I should add something on makerdevs to make that more clear.

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Yeah the date on makerdevs is from when I added the link there, but the plugin itself is stored elsewhere so it'll always be updated.

...Maybe I should add something on makerdevs to make that more clear.
Oh I found it, and it works. Would there possibly be a way to convert the tileset back to 32x32 or whatever value entered? Because I still have to drag it back in to fix it for the game after setting up the tile tags.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh I found it, and it works. Would there possibly be a way to convert the tileset back to 32x32 or whatever value entered? Because I still have to drag it back in to fix it for the game after setting up the tile tags.
You should put the original files on a separate folder and have the plugin load from there, so it doesn't get overwritten.
You don't want the plugin to do the back resizing because it may affect the image quality.

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
You should put the original files on a separate folder and have the plugin load from there, so it doesn't get overwritten.
You don't want the plugin to do the back resizing because it may affect the image quality.
Nice, now everythings automatic :3. I tried out the other collision tiles but i noticed there isn't a collision tile to handle blocking the edges of a block that goes downward.
OjfRQcJ.png

EDIT:
Also i noticed my characters hover like high over objects when looking down, I'm guessing it's because of RMMZ pushing chars up by 6 pixels, would I be able to fix this by just using !$ tag. also where would I find where they push the characters up in the code.

EDIT:
OOPS my cursor was on the one right below that i didnt see it XD. How would I go about disabling tryToAvoid, because it's rlly weird when the character automatically slides away from a collision tile.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.
elex 50s face.png

Experimenting with an old 50's style face set. I have done about a dozen variations of face sets for my characters, but am never happy with the results for very long. Different attempts. Second one is the same character as the first image. The third is Ivan, another character entirely.
treele.jpg
A them/they in a forest... a still for the game I'm working on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeroJyllmeiko