How to get player to trigger event when they cross a x-coordinate line?

McMillan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Basically, I'm trying to set up a set of stationary enemies that disappear when the player crosses a certain line. I imagine it has something to do with variables relating to the x coordinate on the map, but that's about it.

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First, you need to make two variables: Player's X Coord and Player's Y Coord. Then make an event on the map (trigger: parallel process) with the following:

Control variables: Player's X Coord = Player's Map X

Control variables: Player's Y Coord = Player's Map Y

Then a conditional branch with whatever you need—for example, if you wanted the enemies to disappear when the player's X coordinate is greater than or equal to a number (let's say 10 in this example), then you'd go:

Conditional branch: Variable Player's X Coord > = 10 (make sure 'set handling when conditions don't apply' is ticked)

If you're making the enemies disappear with a switch, then you'd set that switch to ON here.

Else:

set the switch to OFF.

If you're wanting to also include the player's Y coordinate (for example, set something for when they're on a specific tile), then you'd include a conditional branch for that inside the conditional branch for the player's X coordinate and then have the switch inside the conditional branch for the Y coordinate.

Conditional branch: Variable Player's X Coord > = 10

Conditional branch: Variable Player's Y Coord > = 15

Set Switch ON

Else:

Set Switch OFF

Hope this makes sense! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What @A-Moonless-Night  said is correct so what I am writing doesn't change the fact that what has been said is correct. What I want to suggest is a way to avoid using 2 variables and a switch to trigger your event.

You can create the event with 3 pages:
Page 1: Parallel process
Page 2: Autorun, when Self Switch 'A' is ON

Page 3: Action Button, when Self Switch 'B' is ON (or any other self switch, read below)

In page 1 you can use the "Script" command and type this:

if ($game_player.x == number) #you can add more conditions here
$game_self_switches[[@map_id, @event_id, 'A']] = true
end

#number is the coordinate of your line.

Of course you can use $game_player.y instead of $game_player.x if you need a horizontal line instead of a vertical one.

In page 2 you can write your event as you please and then activate another switch (for example self switch 'B') to activate your event page 3 which is blank. If you don't want page 3 to be bank then change it to fit your needs.

Feel free to use the one you like the most.

Last edited by a moderator:

McMillan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you both very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Pootscooter wrote on Pharonix's profile.
Hey @Pharonix, just wondering what you're up to lately and if you've had an opportunity to check out the LTBS thread in the past few days...(a couple of us could really use your expertise). Hope you are well and Happy Thanksgiving!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoetsoi