puubutt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hello! I've recently had a problem with using parallax backgrounds and having them appear blurry when playing. I know it's a known problem but I've tried the "Fix image to map" plug-in to work around it but it's only overheated my computer and given me a black screen (so I gave up on it). Is there anyway to get rid of the parallax blur other than using the TDDF plugin? All the forums I found are a couple years old so I thought i'd ask.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that depends on the cause for the blur.

there are several different effects that people can call a "blur", but mostly aren't. Each of them has different reasons and therefore different workarounds.

The most common case is a resizing effect - does that blur you're talking about exist in windowed play or only in fullscreen?

puubutt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
that depends on the cause for the blur.

there are several different effects that people can call a "blur", but mostly aren't. Each of them has different reasons and therefore different workarounds.

The most common case is a resizing effect - does that blur you're talking about exist in windowed play or only in fullscreen?
It's in both windowed and fullscreen.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then it's probably not the resizing effect.

Is it a real blur or only a similar effect?
A real blur is the result of quick changes and not visible in screenshots of the blurring scene, so can you try to make a screenshot of the blur effect and check if it is visible in the screenshot as well?
if yes please attach the screenshot.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've tried the "Fix image to map" plug-in to work around it but it's only overheated my computer and given me a black screen
I'm not sure doing this would solve your problem anyway, but if using that plugin caused your computer to overheat and your game to crash, and without the plugin that doesn't happen, I believe you have done something wrong (like maybe put the plugin command into a parallel process and not erased it after running).

puubutt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
then it's probably not the resizing effect.

Is it a real blur or only a similar effect?
A real blur is the result of quick changes and not visible in screenshots of the blurring scene, so can you try to make a screenshot of the blur effect and check if it is visible in the screenshot as well?
if yes please attach the screenshot.

Here's a screenshot. As you can see the top of the "Fashon Show" Building is part of the tileset, and it's not blurry, but the bottom part is part of the parallax map and it's blurry. If it changes anything, I'm using ! infront of the image file name to pin it to place on the map.
Thank you for any help :)

I'm not sure doing this would solve your problem anyway, but if using that plugin caused your computer to overheat and your game to crash, and without the plugin that doesn't happen, I believe you have done something wrong (like maybe put the plugin command into a parallel process and not erased it after running).
Oh possibly! But I honestly found it as more trouble than it's worth and I'd rather not use it. ^^

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you'll need the ! in the filename to disable parallax, because originally neither that slot nor parallax has anything to do with mapping, and you couldn't use that background picture as a map without disabling its parallax.

Yes, I can see what you mean. It looks like a color shift, but not the usual one created by resizing.
It's more like a permanent tint on the background.

can you attach the same section of the parallax picture alone for direct comparison?
what is that map's size in tiles, and the total size of the parallax picture in pixels?

puubutt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
you'll need the ! in the filename to disable parallax, because originally neither that slot nor parallax has anything to do with mapping, and you couldn't use that background picture as a map without disabling its parallax.

Yes, I can see what you mean. It looks like a color shift, but not the usual one created by resizing.
It's more like a permanent tint on the background.

can you attach the same section of the parallax picture alone for direct comparison?
what is that map's size in tiles, and the total size of the parallax picture in pixels?
The total size is 3264x1312 (so it's a multiple of 32 on both dimensions). Not sure if that's too large but it doesnt seem to be a problem from what I've seen others do with background images which were much bigger.
Here's what it looks like in the image (approximatly the same place). It's pixelated normally in the png. The forum's resizing might make it a little blurry but please be assured it's 100% crisp pixels.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so it's a multiple of 32 on both dimensions
have you added a plugin that changes the grid size? because by default the base for MV is 48, not 32.
and you didn't answer the question about the mapsize in tiles (there is more than one reason why I asked for that)

If you have a plugin that changes grid size that could affect the display - if not the parallax is of a wrong size and that could be another reason why it changed.

puubutt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
have you added a plugin that changes the grid size? because by default the base for MV is 48, not 32.
and you didn't answer the question about the mapsize in tiles (there is more than one reason why I asked for that)

If you have a plugin that changes grid size that could affect the display - if not the parallax is of a wrong size and that could be another reason why it changed.
No i do not have a plugin that changes grid size. Also my bad, my eyes must've skimmed past the tile question. The amount of tiles of the map is 72x27.

I must've mistaken the default size. I changed it to 3264x1248 which are multiples of 48 incase that was the problem, blur is still there ^^

again, i appreciate you taking the time to help.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is unlikely to be the cause, but your numbers are still wrong.
A parallax of 3264x1248 pixels covers a map of 68x26 tiles, not 72x27. However that should only result in several rows and one column at the end having a repeat of the background. Looks bad if the player gets to that map border, but not a technical problem.

currently I don't have any other idea on what to check.

puubutt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
oh my bad XD I changed the numbers and the blur is still there.
I believe then that it's just a MV built-in problem. Crisp parallaxes don't seem to be something RPG Maker MV has an internal option built in for either.

Used the FixPixel.js plugin to get rid of the blur. (Although it's mainly used for fullscreen blur problems). That worked fine so I'll stay with that.
It's a shame there isn't anything internally I could do to fix it though :(

Thanks for trying to help though!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
realnutx