How to get rid of the window border without causing issues?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by McMillan, Oct 25, 2016.

1. McMillan

McMillan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay so for starters, I'm looking to eliminate the border that surrounds every window in the game, from the title screen to a basic text message. How can this be done, and will it cause the text message background to bleed everywhere? I'm using yanfly's ace message system if that matters.

Bonus Question:

Speaking of yanfly's ace message system, I'm looking to have the name window (when you use the \n<x> command) have a different background color to the rest of the windows in game. Is this possible? My thinking is that if I use the \pic[x] command for a really large single color picture in the name window, that the name window will be colored. My concern here is if the \pic[x] command uses a large picture that it will just cover the entire screen instead of the entire name window. Can I get some clarification on this? This should probably be in a different topic, but I'd figure I could get 2 birds.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm assuming you're writing about the border in fullscreen?

That is created by the display driver if the screensize of the game is not one of the resolutions supported by it (usually this means no windows-default-resolution).

However, you have to keep in mind that you'll cause display problems in the engine if the screensize is not a multiple of the grid size. And the two numbers rarely fit together.

One of the better pairs would be for example 1152 (24x48) and 624 (13x48) - that is almost the 1152x648 widescreen resolution for windows and will result in only small black borders on both sides if your monitor supports that pixel size, with a minimum map size of 24x13.

But there are other possibilites - just check the allowed screen sizes of your display driver and divide them by 48 until you find one that has at least one of the size numbers a multiple of the map grid.

3. McMillan

McMillan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No, not the border around the game window, I mean the borders around things like text messages, multiple choice windows, the menu screen, etc.

4. Jarrad

Jarrad Broke College Student Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The windowskin? If you don't want anything there at all you could open window.png form the system folder and edit out the border portion of the windowskin.

5. waynee95

waynee95 Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought he means the borders from the window skin. If this is the case you would need a window skin that has no borders.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
  6. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The border is handled by the Window graphic in the Graphics/System folder. When you open the graphic (be sure to use an image editor that allows for transparency!) you'll see the border piece in the top right section. Just erase it and save.

And no, I don't think the background will "bleed" if you do this. I've tried it before and IIRC it simply stops where the border used to be, leaving a small transparent margin.

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    those borders are part of the windowskin picture - if you edit that picture, you can change the borders to anything you want (including transparent borders)

8. McMillan

McMillan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay thank you guys.

I'll ask the bonus question in a different topic then if no one knows for sure how pictures work in name windows.

9. waynee95

waynee95 Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it's not that easy to change the background color of the name window, because it uses the window skin. 

10. McMillan

McMillan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I'm just wondering if anyone tried because from this example:

[​IMG]

It looks like it's possible to use a huge picture to change the name window color, but I'm wondering if the picture will just take over the whole screen if it gets too big, or takes over both the name window and the text message window.