How to go about building

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by MaGicBush, Aug 16, 2019.

1. MaGicBush

MaGicBush Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So for my game I am working on at some point I am planning to add a strategy type of layer to the game. Right now I have been working on the maps, as I finished most of my other systems and what plugins I will use. I am wanting to find what the best way would be to go about adding a mechanic where the player is allowed to upgrade their colony. So I need to be able to allow the user to go out and gather resources from quests, and from the world, and then be able to go back to the colony and plop down buildings. I think I will be able to just use the event system for this with some ingenuity, but I am not sure if it will require any plugin or scripting. I know some JS, but I am fairly new at it and so far I have only managed to edit other people's plugins to fit my games needs. I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with idea's on how to go about this using maybe the event system.

I also am wanting thoughts on how far I should take this. Should I go all out and allow the player to actually place the buildings? Or should I allow the player to simply "upgrade" buildings/fortifications and maybe change the image on the map with an event and keep it simple?

I plan to have the colony get attacked every so often, and the player must help defend it or leave people to defend it while they are off doing quests.

Thanks!

2. Lilly

Lilly Joy Bringer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the idea to allow the player to place the buildings....Maybe like build and upgrade?
    After all both ideas are great.

MaGicBush likes this.
  3. Eraine

Eraine Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MaGicBush likes this.
  4. MaGicBush

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea I just wasn't sure how hard it would be to implement Lilly, but I will give it a shot as I was wanting to allow the player to place barriers, and buildings anywhere and each have different functions(like a medical building, barracks for housing, farms, etc). It would be far easier to just allow a player to maybe talk to say a carpenter character in the town, and then they upgrade/place automatically if you have the required resources(sort of how Stardew Valley does it), but that may take away from the experience to much I don't know.

Thanks for finding that plugin Eraine I will check it out!

*edit* So sadly the links to download that plugin no longer work, and the author seems to be inactive now. If anyone can help find another similar plugin I could modify I would be very appreciative!

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using. As you are wanting a plugin...

I've moved this thread to JS Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  7. MaGicBush

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes Um no. I am not just wanting a plugin. I was asking for mechanic design help as well on a conceptual level:

Also separately how to go about implementing it as you stated. I am confused why you moved this, or did you not read my first post? I get so confused on these forums sometimes, as my posts will get moved from a category it makes sense in. I see others do this all the time as well. You guys should explain what each category is better. I was actually hoping to get some responses about the mechanic, and expand on the topic and figure out what people like. Now that it's under the "plugin request" category I doubt many people here will comment on that part of my post. I would make another post about it over there, but I don't want to get in trouble.

Also thanks Shaz I will check that out it looks like I could try using that.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You kinda asked how to go about implementing it ... "what the best way would be to go about adding a mechanic where the player is allowed to upgrade their colony" ... "I think I will be able to just use the event system for this with some ingenuity, but I am not sure if it will require any plugin or scripting"

I would definitely make two threads - one to talk about the mechanic/concept and one for implementation. You won't get in trouble for posting an extra thread, as long as you keep it on a design level and leave out any "how do I ..." and any discussion about scripts/plugins/events.

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @MaGicBush This is the problem that results from asking 2 different questions in the same thread.

I think the best solution is to follow Shaz's suggestion and have seperate threads. I also recommend that you do the design thread first, and once you have a clear idea of what that design is, then you will be in a better position to ask more precisely how to implement it.

If that route appeals, please Report this thread and ask for it to be closed and then start again.

mishakoc likes this.