How to go about selling my game

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Power Master, May 1, 2016.

1. Power Master

Power Master Optimistic Game Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    99% of my game uses RPGMaker assets: tilesets, character sprites, and music. I was thinking about making and releasing my game as a physical copy, but I want to get paid for it, as well as cover the costs. Thing is, I want to know if it's alright to do so. Would Enterbrain and the RPGMaker staff get mad? I'd love to pay them for providing me with the engine (even though I did pay for the engine already). What do I do? I know I already paid for the engine, but it just feels wrong to me to profit on a game that uses assets I didn't create, but I need the money... My morals seem to be clashing here right now...

2. ryanfrogger

ryanfrogger Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Physical copy would be extremely difficult. You could attempt to get it greenlit on steam, or if you just want a bit of ad revenue put it on Gamejolt (Which doesn't generate that much income at all... but theres a bit.)

But you are allowed to profit off the RPG Maker assets, but you will have to credit the company because of this. 

3. Power Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have credited the company in the end-game credits already. And I can get physical copies.

4. ryanfrogger

ryanfrogger Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well of course you can, I'm saying that it'd be extremely difficult though since you have to ship them to either people that buy them online, or to stores to sell them. If you're a single person working on a game alone, physical distribution has a lot of difficult obstacles. I won't tell you not to, but I'm saying that a digital copy is a lot easier and would be easier to notice, especially on Steam. I've found plenty of random RPG Maker games on steam and bought them that way.

But hey, you do you. 

5. Power Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My brother sells both physical and digital copies of his book, so we know the process, at least somewhat. My digital copy is free, and I plan on keeping it that way. But if people want to buy a physical copy, I need to be able to cover it.

It sounds like the answer to my question is "yes."

6. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As long as you bought a legal copy of an RPG Maker, you can use that RPG Maker's resources in your RPG Maker games.  You don't need to feel bad about it and you certainly don't need to give them royalties.  (I believe the EULA also says you can use the resources for marketing your game, meaning if you did print CDs and boxes and whatever you could use their graphics on those materials.)

But you are grossly underestimating the difficulty of selling your game.  It's a challenge even with tons of custom visual/audio assets and years of work.  If money is a concern at all, do not even think about going physical with your distribution.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
    Marsigne and ryanfrogger like this.
  7. Power Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, that's good.

There is a "Pay-what-you-want" option on itch.io (the site I use). Perhaps that would work? A physical copy would be nice to distribute, but I suppose I could hold off on that until a later time.

8. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I might sound condescending, but that's not the idea, so sorry in advance.

If you need the money, get a job, or a better job if you already have one. You probably won't get rich with one RPG maker game, but you will not make a living of it. 

And I think the market for RM games is all about the demat. Not much people looking for physical copy of it. Be aware that only renown RM game producers actually manage to sell their games for more than 5 bucks. 

If you want to sell your game because you know it's good, you had positive feedback, there is a market for it OK.

If you want to sell your game because you are in a dire straits, and need the bucks, wrong reasons. 

Have you posted your game or a demo around here? What's the feedback?

astracat111 likes this.
  9. Power Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Niten Ichi Ryu First off, sorry for the long wait. Had minimal access to the internet due to moving to a new house...

1. I don't have a job and, due to my multiple health issues, I likely will not get one anytime soon.

2. I have posted my game here and have gotten mostly positive feedback. Only one complaint as far as I know, and that was "some areas are too big." I'm mainly asking about payment because I want to make physical copies. I know many gamers, myself included, prefer a physical game over a digital one. I am not in dire need of money (it'd be nice, don't get me wrong), but if that was my initial goal, I wouldn't have made my game free to begin with. I know one game isn't going to do much, but I have many more planned and have already started the "beginning steps" of my next one. I am looking through other payment options as well, possibly through my main site as a sort of "support" function. I'll see how well that goes.

Since you asked if I had posted my game on here yet, here is the topic I made. Game can also be accessed through my sig and profile.

10. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ok, probably got it wrong then, but because you wrote at some point : I need the money. So basically, what you meant is that while your game is free as digital you are okay to produce physical copies as long as requester covers the cost of the physical goods and shipping.

So I don't even see why you had doubts. RM allows you to sell your game, physically or not. If someone wants a physical copy of it (is there actual demand for it?) it make sense that you ain't gonna produce tho for free.

astracat111 likes this.
  11. astracat111

astracat111 Astra Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I agree with Niten Ichi Ryu here. What I would do is release a demo for free, and then people can go and purchase the full game if they want it. You have to have something that you know beyond a shred of a doubt that you can sell and people will want to buy, or at least get behind. I would ask yourself questions like 'what are some of my favorite games/games that I've spent money on, and what did they bring me?'. If you really have something special that brings people something that you were brought from some of your favorite games, then in my humble opinion you'd be on the right track.

At the same time, and I don't want to come off as overly negative here, but it's a tough world out there visually. This is basically your competition visually: 

http://fav.me/d1mopu8

Now think for just a second here...people make games with those graphics, but for $10, and they have a hard time making a profit...So not to be negative, but as far as money is concerned you do have a tough market to compete with, and in a market to a degree you will have to compete, HOWEVER, if you can make something that is "interesting", rather than fitting into the good vs bad paradigm, you may have something. 

The thing is, if you are using rtp graphics, usually it doesn't fall into that "interesting" category. Maybe what you could do is edit the rtp graphics? Use photoshop effects on them or something? Add voice acting? Make it really really funny? Use chiptune music? There are ways in where you wouldn't have to compete directly, but again you're gonna have to make it "interesting". I seriously wouldn't decide to spend years of your life on a game making it by yourself, either. It's usually not worth it, and the risk is way too high. You could make it episodic maybe, then? That way, you could release more faster...

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  12. Power Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @astracat111 I do have a demo and the full game, both for free at this point, and will likely be kept that way. The full game has reached over 100 downloads and has received mostly positive comments. I decided that my next game will have entirely custom assets, including characters, voices, tilesets, everything! Maybe I'll see what I can do with that one instead.

I know the game market can be intense, but I'm not exactly "afraid" of it. I just simply want to get my game out, whether people enjoy it or not. Money is a bonus, but I'm not going to try to get greedy.

@Niten Ichi Ryu There has been some demand for a physical copy (not a lot, but some), but it's mostly just me trying to fulfill a personal wish of mine.

Actually, something I'm more concerned about is getting my game(s) onto a different platform, such as Wii U, PlayStation, etc. That is my dream, really, but so far, I've had no luck with that.

Niten Ichi Ryu likes this.