How to Handle a Romance...

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Jiffy, Feb 17, 2017.

?

Gay Marriage?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What if the developer needs to use a romance/failing romance to advance the plot and give depth to characters? Or as a way to make non-romance driven cuts scenes more powerful because of a romance? It would probably be pretty hard for a developer to let the player choose and still get a powerful effect with it.

Of course, I'm someone who prefers romance be intertwined with the plot and not just show character development and be stand alone

Andronius likes this.
  2. lemons

lemons Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not in this thread just to sit around and tell people what to do with their game, lol, I'm just stating my preferences. :kaoswt2:

Fallout 4 might be a good example of that? (As very flawed as that game is, haha!)
    Your spouse dies at the beginning of the game no matter what. You get to choose what they look like, though, and with mods or cheats you can change their gender, too, but they always die (because they're trying to protect your baby, which gives you motivation). I feel like that's still an impactful cut scene... Even if you don't spend much time at all with the spouse.

3. HeroLite

HeroLite stinky weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i actually feel really bummed out if there's an option to get smoochy with someone in a game, but it's hetero exclusive. i know a lot of other people who feel the same way too. <:{ you know, stardew valley let you get hitched with any of the marriage candidates, no matter the gender, and that was freaking sweet, and i bet you all can recall what a massive success that game was. everyone was playing it, even all the big time lets players were getting in on the ride. it's 2017 dude, there's no reason not to include gay stuff unless it's illegal in your country.

Andronius likes this.
  4. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I totally agree with @Basileus . But the fact that there's still hate for X or Y reason, and the fact people must worry still today, in 2017, for such things... idk... it's just kinda saddening :kaosigh:

Ok I just think, if you include or take something away from your project do it because any reason but for being afraid of any reaction, at least that's my thinking: do whatever, but not out of fear, or thinking "what would be more popular". At least I couldn't live like that. BTW
    how did you do this, @WolfFS ? I mean, through eventing? how, exactly? I also wanted to include something similar (some sort of "relationship point system") but don't really know what would be the easiest way to do it. In my project it wouldn't have to do with romance but a little bit like in D&D and so on: I wanted the relationships of the main character to be affected by his moral choices (for example: something like if the player decides to burn a forest his relationship with the druid in the team would be negatively affected by -X points, or if he spares an enemy out of pity his relationship with the assasin in the team would be affected by -X points but +X points with the Priest; and too many negative points in the relationship would lead to that member leaving the party). How can one do that? Ideas, anyone?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. Jiffy

Jiffy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Andronius With variables and a plugin to track it :hwink:

Andronius likes this.
  6. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Go for it, it's great. Hetero romance, homo romance, romance with alien species and robots, let your imagination run wild and don't worry about silly complainers! At least that's my opinion. Your artistic vision is important, don't let it be compromised too much.

Andronius likes this.
  7. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks :eswt: yes but HOW? which plugin? what variables? how do I set it up exactly?

8. Jiffy

Jiffy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Note: Romance was added back in, with both types of sexual preferences.
    Well, the plugin is my own creation and all it does is keep track of the status. But the variables are set up to where the more you interact with the person the higher the variable, the more likely they are to add to the romance variable. Eventually, once the variable is high enough, the buddy system activates and they can follow you around and join in with some activities.

Andronius likes this.
  9. fireflyege

fireflyege Magic is the destination of all wisdom. Veteran

First Language:
    Turkish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think you should include gay relationships. If christians are not happy with it, then they should not make the player gay. Simple as that.