How to host browser-based version on itch.io?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've seen a few MV games on itch.io that use the browser-based deployment; however, I'm unsure how to actually do this. I've currently got my game as a downloadable version, but I may as well try the browser approach.

I've got the game deployed in the browser form on my HDD, and I understand (if I was just using a website I myself had built) I would just FTP the whole www folder, and refer to that. However, how do I do this via itch.io? What do I upload? Do I zip the browser version up to make it a single file?

Are people on itch.io just hosting the game somewhere else, and embedding the code on the game's page?

EDIT: Ah, it seems I had to upload the game in a zip file - but also you had to specify this when you created the game's page? Anyway, I've posed this question over at itch.io as it's probably more their issue than an RPG Maker issue.

Still, if anyone has an answer before they get back to me, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

FallenV3ngence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know its been nearly a year, but have you figured out how to host browser based games on itch.io?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know its been nearly a year, but have you figured out how to host browser based games on itch.io?
Yeah, I was able to do it. My game's here, if you want to see how it turned out: HERE

Where are you getting stuck? I might be able to help.

FallenV3ngence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks like a pretty solid game i'll definitely spend more time on it, good job! I have the zip file for my game and I created a new project and uploaded the zip, but when I go to the game page, all it shows is a black screen. Could you maybe walk me through how you deployed your game and uploaded it?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was a long time ago, so I'm not certain of the steps, but here's a couple of things to try:

Under Kind of Project, change that to HTML.

Call your zip www.zip, and make sure when you upload it, you check the box to state that this is the file to be played in browser.

Try those?

FallenV3ngence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried that though it still is displaying the black screen

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried that though it still is displaying the black screen
It it loading? Like, do you get the "click to start" box, and when you click on it, it seems to load?

EDIT: Also, just zip up the www folder, not the entire project.

FallenV3ngence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I get the "Run Game" button but when it "loads" all I see is a black screen. Am I deploying the file wrong?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I get the "Run Game" button but when it "loads" all I see is a black screen. Am I deploying the file wrong?
Hmm, I don't think so.

If you open your deployed folder (like just on your hard drive) and open the index.html in the www folder, does the game run? If not, you need to fix that first as that's what's actually running.

FallenV3ngence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, that is probably the problem because when I try to click the index.html file, I get a failed to load data error

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, that is probably the problem because when I try to click the index.html file, I get a failed to load data error
Did you use the option to strip out unnecessary files? That works, but it's very "aggressive" and sometimes stripes out too much.

FallenV3ngence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I didn't want the extra sounds and unused enemies to take up too much space

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I didn't want the extra sounds and unused enemies to take up too much space
You can still use the strip-out feature, you just have to do a bit of configuring.

There are certain things it tends to miss, mainly stuff involved with plugins. Images and such. To fix this, create a common event in your project where you call all of the music, sounds and pictures that are being stripped out; then the tool will notice that these things are referenced in your project, and won't strip them out when you deploy.

You don't actually have to run this current event anywhere; it just has to exist.

If that still doesn't work, there are plugins you can get which allow you to list folders or files, and set them not to be stripped, but most people don't need to do that. I needed to on NALE because I have some custom stuff like the evidence images.

FallenV3ngence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks I'll hop on and try it when I have time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Wasting so much time trying to get a sprite behavior to work. I feel like banging my head against a wall.
Well... it’s been a real pain in the IRS today. :/
My kitty still young (3-4 months), I think I could teach her some funny tricks... like: "Play dead-ly good music for my games"
Here's a quality DPS class idea: The Beekeeper, who uses the "Bees!!" skill to attack and poison enemies.
Please don't create long, boring cutscenes in which characters do nothing but stand around talking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popogui