How to identify current Version (MV)

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Rink27, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rink27

Rink27 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For the longest while I've been thinking "I'd have to update to and check out Version 1.5". Unless I forgot, I don't think I ever updated MV beyond version 1.3.

However, when I check Help > About, it lists "Version 1.5.0". I'm confused because I don't have automatic updates enabled via Steam (It should be Version 1.6.1 if that was the case, right?). Furthermore, when I check inside the rpg_core.js file, Line 183 reads " Utils.RPGMAKER_VERSION = "1.3.5"; "

I had recently added Yanfly's "EventCopier" plugin, noticed I could utilise the "Structure List" feature within the Parameters and then realised I had Version 1.5.

I'm guessing the rpg_core doesn't define what version I have? How can I tell for sure other than Help > About?
    Is it possible plugins can cause a higher version to be listed? Maybe I updated it and forgot, but I just want to better verify this.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the editor version is determined by help-about. if that lists 1.5.0 then you have the editor 1.5.0 - you probably forgot that you updated at some time.

the project version is usually determined by the version number in the rpg_core.js file exactly as you said.
    The project version is NOT automatically the same as the editor version, because project updates are never automatic for a lot of reasons. The title line of the rpg_core.js file tells you what version it has, if there is no number then it is 1.0.0

All those numbers will only be identical if you manually update your projects when you update your editor - and a lot of people don't do that for compatibility reasons. There are a lot of plugins that will only work with older core versions, while others require a newer version. That is the reason why the project update is never automatic, so that your project doesn't suddenly break due to a wrong plugin mix.
    And because of that there is usually no problem opening an older project with a current editor - only the latest 1.6.1 requires updating of the project to keep battletest functional.

Rink27 likes this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.