NickGemini12

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi.

I was wondering the easiest way to add both a Bad Ending & Good Ending to my RPG Maker MV Project?

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, presumably the ending will depend on choices made by the player, right?

So, at a high level you could simply turn on switches based on the choices made throughout the game, then use them to determine which ending to run.

Say for a simple example the player has a choice between stealing from a house or not.

You could use a switch called Thief, and turn it to ON if the player chooses to loot the home.

Then you could use a conditional branch for the final event (or Conditions based on the switch/various switches for more complex requirements), and run different commands depending on whether Thief is ON or OFF.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it completely depends on the conditions that you want for your endings.
Becauseyou basically need to check which conditions are fulfilled and then call the appropiate ending cutscene.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are couple of ways I can think of for setting up an alternate ending. Set up a Conditional Branch:
1) Using Switches is probably the most common way to accomplish alternative endings. You can have a "Bad" (or whatever name) switch ON if x choice is made. The "bad" switch can always be set to OFF if the player makes better choices later.
2) Depending on what calls for a good vs. bad ending, you also could use variables. If Variable x is j> than y, then Bad ending happens.

You could go even further than Switches and Variables though! Example: bad ending if x actor in party or if you have a certain item

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
an "ending" is just a cutscene followed by a return to main menu.
good or bad, that's a writing matter, not a programming matter.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Or if your lazy like I am, wait until you make the final boss and set it so if the player loses they're brought back out of the battle, then simply program your cutscenes, add credits and boot the player back out to the main menu. Or if you want to rub salt on the player for getting the bad ending via losing to the final boss give them the ol' Game Over treatment.

I've done this in numerous games and so far no one has complained about it.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Pretty much everyone else said. I'd just use a variable that describes the concept that determines whether the player gets the good or bad ending. The player does something "good", it raises the variable and that pushes them a little closer to the "good" ending and vise versa. Ultima has a Virtues system where different actions would raise or lower different virtues.

* Honesty
* Compassion
* Valor
* Justice
* Sacrifice
* Honor
* Spirituality
* Humility

Fighting a battle raises Valor. Running away from them lowers it. Giving to a beggar raises Sacrifice. Stealing items from someone's house lowers ... something. Murdering a random NPC probably lowers a bunch of stuff a lot. How you respond to NPC questions can raise or lower different virtues.

How do you plan on determining "good" and "bad" in your game?

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just ran into a cutscene using my previous choices (in Chrono Trigger). It gave me a laugh. :)

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i implement it depending on your Good Deed and Bad Deed

Good Deed
: People will Praise you're the Hero of (Your World).
How: Clearing your Quest,Helping the NPC,Donate an amount of Gold,your Good Choices

Bad Deed: People will Hate you,Angry with you, and (the Worst) Attempt to Kill you in the front of your Eyes or your Back.
How: Failing your Quest,Kill the NPC,Destory the Items or Buildings,Clearing your Evil Quest,your Bad Choices

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Pfft! If other people would stop replying to threads, I could DOMINATE the Latest Posts box!
After so many hours of debugging, losing data to crashes, and slight adjustments.
BlackJack now deals cards perfectly! Time to adjust the background and implement the game logic so you can actually play it.BlackJack.png
I once thought about a boss gauntled game. I actually did it.
Stream will be live shortly with some Gex 3! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartialsArt82