How to import XP characters into VX ACE?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Kinami, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kinami

Kinami Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello everyone :)
    So I made a lot of RPG maker games with the default characters "style" in vx ace, but I was getting a little bit -bored- of these small chibis.
    I know RMXP is pretty old now but the character sprites style is really beautiful.
    Then I started a new RPG maker vx ace game WITH RPG maker XP characters style.
    I searched for an XP character generator and I found this one pretty useful : http://www.geocities.jp/kurororo4/looseleaf/
    I started creating my characters (NOTE: In the site above image downloading isn't working :headshake: (downloaded images are black) so I used paint to crop the screenshot and only take my sheet)
    Then when I tried to import the image I was shocked that... nothing is working AT ALL ;_;
    This is an exemple of what I am getting:

upload_2017-7-17_19-14-9.png

Is there any way to fix this?
    (I tried to download XP characters and they are working pretty good even with VX ACE, so i'm pretty sure I made a fault here but I can't figure out where...)

Attached Files:

2. Lord Vectra

Lord Vectra Master Eventer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

VX, Ace and MV sprites only have 3 columns. If you edit these sprites to crop off the left most column, they will work. You will also need to put a $ at the beginning of the file name for these spritesheets that only have one character on them.

4. Kinami

Kinami Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @King Vectra I don't know if the file was damaged, but text is only made out of... symbols and I quite understand nothing :confused:
    @mlogan Your idea worked well and I crop off the left most column AND put a $ at the beginning but the green background is still here and the game doesn't ask me where is the transparent color :dizzy:

5. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure what program you are using. In Gimp, there is a "select by color" tool - it looks like a finger pointing at a strip of colors. In theory, you should be able to use that to select the background color and delete it.

I never quite sorted why Ace sometimes asks you to select transparency and sometimes not.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The importer only asks for transparent color if the picture format submitted does not have an alpha-channel for transparency.
    If the picture has an alpha-channel (as PNGs have) that data is used to automatically detect transparency, but if the alpha-channel tells the program that the background is green instead of transparent, then you're out of luck.

The reason for this is that using color-replacement for transparency is a bad way to handle resources and should be avoided if possible.

So your only solution is to open the spritepicture in an image program like GIMP and delete the unwanted background there before saving it with correct transparency.

One additional advice:
    When converting XP-sprites, delete the fourth column, not the first.
    Both cases will result in a technically valid sprite, but the difference is the animation step.

XP-Sprites have a animation sequence of
    1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 (where the steps 2 and four are standing and usually identical)

VXA-Sprites have an animation sequence of

1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2 (see how the 2 replaces every 4 in the XP-sequence? that is why the sprites were reduced to reduce filesize without loosing part of the stepping animation)

Deleting the first row would effectively cause the sprite into a sequence 2-3-4-3-2-3-4 with two standing frames and only one walking frame.

7. Lord Vectra

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ye, forgot the language is different. I don't understand it but i played around with it til I figured it out.

Left is XP to VX. Other should be VX to XP. I really only use it when going to Vx to XP (since it's harder to add that extra line). U click on that, click on the folder on the right, and then pick the extension. I will ask for you to pick a folder (not a file) and it'll convert all pictures in that file to what you want.

8. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    But if you look at the image OP posted, deleting the 4th column will result in one of the steps being removed, not one of the standing positions. This may be a difference in the looseleaf generator v. actual XP sprites?

9. Lord Vectra

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mlogan
    Possibly - I think both variants of the stepping exist for different sprites, because in RMXP it wouldn't matter at all (both variants would work), it would only create problems when converting. So people have to check which way each sprite is constructed before deciding which column to delete. And to decide that you need to know the differences in the animation sequences.

11. Kinami

Kinami Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @mlogan and @Andar I used to work with paint but I downloaded GIMP as you said, then I watched few tutorials about how to remove background and this worked very well in my game, thanks.
    @King Vectra Very interesting generator, thanks ;) this will make my work A LOT easier. I am attempting to make lots of games with this :thumbsup-right:

Now that my problem's solved, I think we can close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.