How to increase/decrease hit rate of skills on a weapon?

kn1000a

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been looking around, but not a lot of threads dive into the details of these weapon's stats. I'm still relatively new and just picked up RPGM again.

I am using VX Ace but this should be applicable for all RPGM. I was wondering if there is a way to modify the hit rates of abilities (skills basically, like Fireball or other generic magical abilities) on a weapon. Does the Ex-Parameter HIT rate modifies both of the weapon's basic attacks and skills?

Is there a way to separate them without script? (for example, making basic attacks hit 100% of the time but using magic skills hit allies/enemies only 50% of the time).

I also wonder what the default Ex-Parameter % number is. I know the program has 0 by default, but what does that really mean? Let's take HIT stat on a weapon for example; usually it's +0%. But does this means attacks hit all the time? Half of the time? Random? I don't know what is the default value so I don't know how much I should add/remove when touching Ex-Parameter stats.

Thank you in advance!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to VXAce Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hit rate modifies only the chance to hit with the attack skill. To modify the chance of other skills to hit, you set the chance on the skills tab in the database; default is 100%.

By default an actor has a 0% hit rate. Also you should notice the hit rate is modified on the class tab as the hit rate trait is set to 95%. From my understanding when you change the hit rate further, like in your example of a weapon trait, the 0% default essentially means no change. So when you do add a hit rate change as a weapon trait it is an additive adjustment (i.e. giving a weapon the trait of Hit Rate +5% would increase the actor's overall Hit Rate by +5% when they have the weapon equipped; so, an actor whose Hit Rate is altered by the default class trait of 95% would now have 100% Hit Rate with the weapon equipped).

At least this is my understanding of it all.

Now if the question is to somehow change a skill's chance to hit by having some effect on a weapon or other piece of equipment, I'm not sure that can be done without using a script. The only thing that comes to mind is using a clever damage formula to simulate the possibility of a miss.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The to hit is a +, which means it is added. Initially everyone has 0% to hit unless you put something there, so if you have none of them no one will ever hit in a battle.

When you attack with a physical attack the engine looks at the sum of all of your to hit stats, and then rolls a number from 0 - 100. If that number is higher than your to hit, you miss.

If you want magical skills effected by to hit you'd have to make them physical too, as magical attack doesn't use to hit at all. Magical attacks always hit unless it fails to get past the MEVA of the target (0 by default).

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The to hit is a +, which means it is added. Initially everyone has 0% to hit unless you put something there, so if you have none of them no one will ever hit in a battle.
Ahh, okay, I assumed the opposite of this. But it makes sense since the default class gets the trait added automatically. I never thought about taking it away completely, lol.

I'm going to edit my original post then.

edit:
If you want magical skills effected by to hit you'd have to make them physical too, as magical attack doesn't use to hit at all. Magical attacks always hit unless it fails to get past the MEVA of the target (0 by default).
So you're saying that when you alter the skills hit chance in the database then that only affects the skill if it is set to Physical Hit? I never tested these things out because I've never needed to; but, I thought that only a skill changed to certain hit would be unaffected by that change. Hmm... Now I feel like I need to do some experimenting when I get home.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, To Hit is for physical attacks only. Magical attacks assume a to hit of 100% (though you can use success rate to mess with that), but a targets MEVA can affect if it misses. And Certain hit doesn't care what the to hit and evade or MEVA is, it hits (not sure how Reflection works with certain hit though).

kn1000a

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, To Hit is for physical attacks only. Magical attacks assume a to hit of 100% (though you can use success rate to mess with that), but a targets MEVA can affect if it misses. And Certain hit doesn't care what the to hit and evade or MEVA is, it hits (not sure how Reflection works with certain hit though).
Thank you both for the answer. So I guess there is really no way (without scripts) to make a weapon lower the hit rate of skills?

Is there a way to give enemies MEVA in the presence of such a weapon then? I tried to do it like poison, death, etc. but seems like MEVA doesn't work the same way.

However I think there is a workaround although tedious: Have the weapon seal away original skills on the character (for example, Fire) and add similar skills (a made up name like [Fire]) but these skills have lower success rate.

Let me know what you think.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It could work, or you could get a script which lowers hit rate based on a notetag on a weapon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I think my goal for MZ ... is to actually release a game and not have twenty technical demos and debugging projects. Let's see if I can manage that. ;o
I am starting to enjoy writing. I never thought I would enjoy it since my dyslexia was holding me back so much.
Thanks to the community here :)
For those interested chapter 2 and 3 are available to read here:
I'm having a fun time working with the MZ RTP. The waterfall hasn't changed, though, so I'm wondering if they didn't make a new one or if they forgot to put it in...

good progress on the typescript Definitions files almost done all the Manager and yet I still have to do the Battle Manager...who is seriously so much data lol
Are the export options for MZ known yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RegularManGuy