Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How to install Tiled and use it in RPG Maker MZ

Tiled is an incredible map editor made by BJorn

In this tutorial, you will learn how to install Tiled on your computer and use it with RPG Maker MZ

This is only possible because of a free plugin that @Archeia, Dairnon, and Yami wrote for all of us to use, thank you so much!

Required materials:
Tiled plugin
Tiled map editor

Obipandawan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So i followed your instructions to the dot, and i am getting nothing but a black screen not sure why this is happening.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Did you make sure you:
Named the map folder correctly (maps)
Named the map correctly (map1 for example)
Saved your tileset in your maps folder
Do you have the latest version of the Tiled plugin?
Is your Tiled map editor 1.4.2?
Did you add all three custom tabs to your layer?
Did you turn on the plugin?
And last but not least (something I forget a million times) Did you save your map after drawing on it?

Obipandawan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you make sure you:
Named the map folder correctly (maps)
Named the map correctly (map1 for example)
Saved your tileset in your maps folder
Do you have the latest version of the Tiled plugin?
Is your Tiled map editor 1.4.2?
Did you add all three custom tabs to your layer?
Did you turn on the plugin?
And last but not least (something I forget a million times) Did you save your map after drawing on it?
yes I named it maps, I did save it as map1, I saved both map and tile JSON to the maps folder, I just downloaded it today, and yes I added all three layers and yes I turned it on.

when you say saving it after drawling it in, meaning saving it as the tile d map file?

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You have to overwrite your map1 file

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When you're on your map, where you placed tiles, and then you click file save, it gives you that error?

1599861704198.png

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm going to DM you.

MissyChrissy

~ Ob-la-di ob-la-da ~ life goes on
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! Even though MZ has layers now, it still restricts you to a limited tileset, which is why I prefer to map in TileD. So I really appreciate the tutorial! I have gotten the map to show up and collisions working, but I seem to have run into a little hiccup. I have no idea what is happening. I tried to figure this out on my own but I am stumped at what is causing this.

Emanzi

Ekamu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Can this support animated Tilesets like the MV version?

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello! Even though MZ has layers now, it still restricts you to a limited tileset, which is why I prefer to map in TileD. So I really appreciate the tutorial! I have gotten the map to show up and collisions working, but I seem to have run into a little hiccup. I have no idea what is happening. I tried to figure this out on my own but I am stumped at what is causing this.

It's possible your map is smaller than the setting you set in the tiled map or vice versa.

Emanzi

Ekamu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I got animated tilesets to work. :thumbsup-right:
is the setup exactly the same? Also unrelated, I never got the collision mask png files. I think there the same as for MV version?

It would really help beginners if there was just some sample project with everything set up like the MV version. And some further documentation on the yanfly.moe page on just up to setting up animation and collision. I’ve watched this YouTube video like 8 times today and I’m still just getting a black screen that forever loads nothing.

@Obipandawan @Tea’s Jams
Did you find a solution?

Last edited:

MissyChrissy

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is the setup exactly the same? Also unrelated, I never got the collision mask png files. I think there the same as for MV version?
Yes, I quickly did an animation test using the same method as MV in MZ. I just reused the collision.json and the png file that was for MV and it worked.

I’ve watched this YouTube video like 8 times today and I’m still just getting a black screen that forever loads nothing.
I also got the black screen. Then I reread the documentation on the yanfly page and saw the "hideOnLevel" needed a capital "L". lol Also make sure you have the layer property selected to put in the custom properties. Hope that helps! :LZSsmile:

It's possible your map is smaller than the setting you set in the tiled map or vice versa.
The map size is the same for both Tiled and in MZ. I'm probably missing something really obvious. lol But if I make the map bigger than the game's resolution it doesn't happen. Thanks for responding! :LZScat:

Last edited:

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@MissyChrissy Sorry for the delayed response. What resolution did you set in Tiled?

MissyChrissy

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tea's Jams No worries! :LZSsmile: I have MZ set at the default resolution. I have the tile size set at 24x24 in Tiled. The map size is 20 x 16 in both MZ and Tiled. Thanks for responding!

Emanzi

Ekamu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hi guys, this might sound like a silly question but if I set up the plugin and use let’s say a 16 by 16 pixel ratio for tiles. How will this affect sprites? Can I also use 16 by 16 sprites? Do I need a plugin for this or does it get sorted out automatically.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you set the tile size to 16x16 it will change the grid size in MZ to 16x16 too, you have to make sure you use assets that are compatible with that size, if you try to use assets made for 48x48 you'll get weird clipping issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Getting work done in the hospital is a little tough :kaosigh:
Yet another custom skill animation, sometimes i waste too much time on details people will barely notice :kaocry:
Time flies by... already 1/6th of the calendar released :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterDev