How to "Kit Bash" an Existing Sprite to Turn It To Another Angle?

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question but I keep bashing my head against this particular wall. I want to use some sprites I have, but I need them to be at a different angle, meaning, the sprite is dead on as tho it goes against the north wall of a room. But what about the east and west walls? I'd like to put things there, but I don't have too many sprites that are oriented that way. I've just started "kit bashing" sprites (I'm not sure if that's the term for it, but basically copying bits of different sprites and putting them together), but I can't see a way of doing this to make it look like the sprite is turned in different directions. Are there any tutorials out there for how to do this? I know it's a matter of perspective and there's parts that you should be able to see if the sprite is turned in certain directions that aren't there and would need to be drawn or repurposed from other sprites or something, I just don't know how to do it. Anyone know?

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The easiest answer to your concern is to see if the sprites you want to kitbash from also has east/west-facing sprites. If you are trying to take from character sprites, then whoever made it must have taken into consideration the cardinal directions that character might take.

Otherwise, you have to swallow the hard pill of drawing the sprites by yourself. Despite it looking simple, drawing sprites is still drawing. Games from the 8-bit era have reference sheets for their characters for a reason, so your issue can't be solved by understanding perspective alone.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Thank you.

I've never heard of kit bash, I've always called this frankenspriting.

Reactions: Bex

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Otherwise, you have to swallow the hard pill of drawing the sprites by yourself. Despite it looking simple, drawing sprites is still drawing. Games from the 8-bit era have reference sheets for their characters for a reason, so your issue can't be solved by understanding perspective alone.
I'm trying to do this with the minimum amount of drawing. I already have a sprite so if I can skewer it some way and then just add the part of the sprite that's missing, that's going to be easier for me than trying to draw it from scratch. Basically when you turn a sprite, the perspective is wrong, plus you're missing a side. If the answer really is "draw it from scratch" then I guess I'm just gonna be SOL.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much! This is what I was looking for. I'm not sure it's going to help with the precise sprites I need to edit, but I'm positive I'll have a lot of other sprites I'll want to use these techniques on. And there's a lot of good info in that topic I can apply to what I'm trying to do.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since you mentioned dead poses, I also have something about that topic:
While those are different poses each, if you make II and III.I and III.II and mirror that one as well, you kinda have 4 directional dead poses.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for that tutorial, it'll come in handy in the future.

I'm not sure if it's allowable to post this, but this is the sprite I was trying to turn so it would be against the right wall (and it was too complicated, I gave up trying lol):

Attachments

• astereo.png
    astereo.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 2

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Clarn Hold
(No storylines)
There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymouss