AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know how to "take it" and "not be defensive" when people joke/insult me by just saying hiring a mapper in an offensive post and saying I am trying to steal their ideas/outsource my creativity when I am asking nothing of this sort, and speak badly of me and bring me down.

I bet I'm already naturally more creative than a number of you because I am indeed creative individual (and this is one of the reasons I have become a Game Dev). I just need a lot more training. I don't lack natural creativity but knowledge.

i bet I'm also both more open-minded and hard working than a lot of you already. Always looking to improve myself.
Sir, this is a game dev forum. We're all game devs here. Nothing to brag about.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Show me where I have asked you people to create me something directly. I don't see how I'm asking you to paint me a painting instead of how I can learn how to get good at painting myself.

I don't see any moderators complaining here.

If you don't like my posts you can always put me on "ignore" or just ignore me after all. That feature is there for a reason after all guys. Some of you answer every one of my questions.

And I don't think that I'm better or above anyone.

I'm not wasting any more my time arguing with you. I've explained precisely where I see the issues with what you've posted, and I'm not going to repeat myself.

Maybe instead of telling people "you can put me on ignore" you should consider why - as you put it - "so many people are attacking you on here".

Oh, and if you're gonna close your post with an epic single-sentence mic drop, maybe don't make it incongruent with the content you've literally posted on the same page of the thread:

I bet I'm already naturally more creative than a number of you because I am indeed creative individual [...]

i bet I'm also both more open-minded and hard working than a lot of you already. Always looking to improve myself.

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I bet I'm already naturally more creative than a number of you because I am indeed creative individual (and this is one of the reasons I have become a Game Dev). I just need a lot more training. I don't lack natural creativity but knowledge.

I wasn't gonna post until I saw this. How dare you say this kind of thing, especially since you have not proven at any point throughout your tenure on this forum that you know what you're doing. "Naturally creative" yet I have not seen a single idea of yours that isn't default or relying on these threads you keep making to effectively crowdfund your creativity.

You are literally on a forum of game developers. To say this kind of thing is arrogance of the highest manner.

In fact, this entire tantrum of yours is extremely unbecoming of a real game developer, and honestly if you can't even handle @Iron_Brew then you can't handle a crowd of real critics.

I'm not going to put you on ignore because as far as I'm concerned you're not worth that hassle. In fact I don't even use that feature anyway, I find it far more interesting to charge into conversations like these for the sake of learning something new.

Beewo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Now I'm no mod or anything so what I say got no real weight, but how about we all try to reset? Just a bit worried it will enter into a bickering spiral from here on which be a pity. Maps are a thing probably quite a few have problems with and nice to have a topic where we now already got quite a few tutorials and tricks gathered.

Anyhow I have no advice beyond what others have already given with well made written or youtube tutorials for tips and tricks. Some I missed and gonna check out myself, good stuff.

As for using the copying technique to learn I see no issues with it and use it myself (kinda like when i tried to learn how to draw though that didnt quite work out :p).
Helps to know how other maps have been made by recreating them, especially if you have to use parallax or layers when it doesnt come instinctually yet. Helped me moving beyond just using standard square boxes at the very least when making my own maps afterwards, (though Pallate town square boxes forever has a place in my heart but thats another topic entirely) like when it comes to visual tricks of hiding trees behind a house etc.

Edit: Something I havent tried but I might in the future, take other game engines town that are not rpg maker and try to remake their town layout and appearance just to see what it would look like in rpgmaker. Like Lothering in dragon age 1 for example. Might be fun to see what that would look like.

Last edited:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Simple solution: everyone blocks each other. Get off the forum. Work on your game.

The end.
097.gif

Shikamon

The Fateless One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
People have different taste for "good" map, I am always tries to have more efforts for map where the players spent most of their time. i don't think i wanna make "beauty" map for general store, smithy or any shop interior map if my player just wanna interact with shopkeeper npc and done. it's great to such have beautiful map but for solo developer, its just inefficient, you can just put more time and energy on somewhere else important.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
People have different taste for "good" map, I am always tries to have more efforts for map where the players spent most of their time. i don't think i wanna make "beauty" map for general store, smithy or any shop interior map if my player just wanna interact with shopkeeper npc and done. it's great to such have beautiful map but for solo developer, its just inefficient, you can just put more time and energy on somewhere else important.
This is important. Not every map needs to be a parallax map with two hours of work minimum. Somethings a room with several items in it is enough. Or a hallway is just a hallway. I do admire those who can make every map into a piece of art, but for me? is more efficient to just focus on the special areas instead.

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How to make a good map:
Make a lot of bad maps first.
Seriously, Make a map, have some people look at it, get feedback and try again.

Create, feedback, learn.

The expert has failed more than you have even tried.
The professional painter has more paintings lying in a skip somewhere than you ever painted.
The pro chef has burned more dishes than you ever cooked.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With the exception of publicly distrusting Andar's advice, thank you for asking this! I bookmarked this thread because it has great advice and so many excellent links in one place. I LOVE mapping but am not very good at it...yet.

I have a couple of comments to add since the thread spiraled south:

1) Keep being yourself. We all come from different walks of life and learn differently. If people don't like it, they can scroll on to the next thread. :)

2) People can be a bit harsh at times but how we respond impacts how far it goes.

3) Someone mentioned your questions being too broad/often. While there is no rule about this, there is some truth to that. I don't know your background and learning style so maybe that is how you need to ask questions and, if so, that is totally fine! I take it as you just trying to soak in a lot of information at once but what if you focused on 1-2 things for a bit and then on to the next once you feel like you're getting a grasp on things?

I decided to put this section in a spoiler because I went longer than I expected when I started.

For me, being specific enough to search for what I'm looking for is challenging though. It sometimes takes me 30-45 minutes just to get a paragraph out (also why I'm sporadic in how often I respond to stuff, just depends on the day). Im about 20-25 minutes in on this reply but wanted to jump in with some encouragement. Anyways, my point in sharing (oversharing?) this bit about myself is for readers to see that you never know what obstacles people face when they post...please be gentle.

I can see where they're coming from in response to some of the defensive comments but we can both probably agree that was preventable. You, as the OP, have the power to steer the conversation! :)

Oh man, I've been on this waaay too long and not sure I have the energy to keep editing. I think I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.

Summary: thanks for posting this. Continue to be yourself but be mindful of how your responses steer the conversation. If possible, keep asking questions but try to focus on 1-2 things at a time (if that works for how you learn).

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First, make the few hundred less-good maps that are in the way of the good map inside you. Then make the good map.

Last edited:

A_Higher_Plane

Spiritual person, self-improvement geek, Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, in addition to my "3 ways to improve your own map making", I am adding this one as #4) Practice often by creating your own original maps.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
#4) Practice often by creating your own original maps.
But that's just common sense... It's implied that if you're trying to learn something, you should be practicing anyway, regardless of the subject matter. I don't think it's really necessary to tell/advise people to "practice often" if they're trying to learn something, map making or otherwise. It's like one of those "no-duh" kinds of things. How about, learn all the basic shortcuts and stuff like using shift.

Last edited:

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But that's just common sense... It's implied that if you're trying to learn something, you should be practicing anyway, regardless of the subject matter. I don't think it's really necessary to tell/advise people to "practice often" if they're trying to learn something, map making or otherwise. It's like one of those "no-duh" kinds of things. How about, learn all the basic shortcuts and stuff like using shift.
You'd be surprised how often people think there is just a 'trick' to creative arts, something you just have to 'know'.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_5_26_2022_11_36_32.png
added a Panic gauge to battle. it fills up according to your actions. each character has a different passive that activates once the gauge is full. also once full, a countdown starts and after each action taken, the gauges decreases. with each character, the decrease is different.
Genuinely considering making a thread informing people how to Google.
It's time for Da Update...

Prototyping some overworld abilities. Some of the characters you'll meet on your journey can use special overworld skills to travel around. This can be something like digging holes in the ground or getting hints towards your next objective.

Even more things I made.
Equipping Abilities is very important.
fLhHhZjh.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THORR1