GameInk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright so for what I want to do it looks like scripting will get very mixed up for so I need some help.

What I want to do for my game is have the player fight a boss at the end of each area and if they have a certain item with them they can give it to the boss and they will join the party OR the player can choose to just kill the boss and continue without another companion.

You can see my obvious problem for I need to be able to have a choice as well as an item requirement as well as enemies becoming party member. If anyone knows I would love the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
You can do this in event in the tropp tab or after the battle.

You put  choice wih a chance to succeed of fail.

Alpha-mad

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It has been quite some time since I've used RPGMaker, but this should easily be done with a conditional branch. From what you described, it should look like this (I am using RMXP, but the idea is the same regardless of what engine you're using).

boss battle.png

Nirvis

---
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If it's an event with a sprite and not a random encounter, you can do this (Click the link to see the image for the event):

http://imgur.com/9WAR4Cs

Basically you make the event with a sprite that when you press the action button when you are next to him, it would initiate the boss fight (Battle Processing), then gives you the options of what happens when you win or lose (If win/ If lose) You make If Lose what you want (most people would make it Game Over). For the If Win, you make a Show Choice, name Choice one Spare (or what ever you wanna call it), make choice to Kill. Now you will get the when "Spare" and when "Kill". For when Spare make a conditional branch and pick the item you want to be required, then under it (Still in the when Spare) make a Change in Party, and add the boss (He has to be in the actors list in the settings). Also make sure the conditional branch has the "add else" ticked, so that if you don't have the required text you will add a dialogue saying the player doesn't have it and he has to kill the boss, then make a dialogue of killing the boss and at the end of it (Still in the "Else") do a Control Self Switch and make it A (or what ever you want). Now for the "Kill" option just make a kill dialogue and another Control Switch A. Finally make a new event page, and at the left, tick the self switch to enable it and set it to what ever letter you chose for the Control Self Switch.

That's about it.

GameInk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If it's an event with a sprite and not a random encounter, you can do this (Click the link to see the image for the event):

http://imgur.com/9WAR4Cs

Basically you make the event with a sprite that when you press the action button when you are next to him, it would initiate the boss fight (Battle Processing), then gives you the options of what happens when you win or lose (If win/ If lose) You make If Lose what you want (most people would make it Game Over). For the If Win, you make a Show Choice, name Choice one Spare (or what ever you wanna call it), make choice to Kill. Now you will get the when "Spare" and when "Kill". For when Spare make a conditional branch and pick the item you want to be required, then under it (Still in the when Spare) make a Change in Party, and add the boss (He has to be in the actors list in the settings). Also make sure the conditional branch has the "add else" ticked, so that if you don't have the required text you will add a dialogue saying the player doesn't have it and he has to kill the boss, then make a dialogue of killing the boss and at the end of it (Still in the "Else") do a Control Self Switch and make it A (or what ever you want). Now for the "Kill" option just make a kill dialogue and another Control Switch A. Finally make a new event page, and at the left, tick the self switch to enable it and set it to what ever letter you chose for the Control Self Switch.

That's about it.

This was perfect thank you so much, I actually thought it would be a lot harder than this and the picture was very helpful too. I'll update on my progress when I get to that point but for the mean time thank you.

Nirvis

---
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This was perfect thank you so much, I actually thought it would be a lot harder than this and the picture was very helpful too. I'll update on my progress when I get to that point but for the mean time thank you.

No problem. Good luck with your project.

GameInk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It has been quite some time since I've used RPGMaker, but this should easily be done with a conditional branch. From what you described, it should look like this (I am using RMXP, but the idea is the same regardless of what engine you're using).

View attachment 31164

Thank you for the help, even though it's XP it was still very useful.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone here know a @Sonheruu? Pop over to their forum activity for a sec lol
Game Making Every Day #19 :kaosalute:

Uploaded my short game to itch.io just to see how it works... It doens't. Failed to load IconSet.png it says.
Yeah okay. Not wasting another second on it. :\
I wonder if anyone would be interested in free character art from me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PBjel_ly