limsoonchiong

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi experts, I have an event that triggers battle. After the battle, I would like to display a damage pose. My challenge is to be able to lock the pose. My damage pose seems to change based on which direction the event was facing right before the battle. Enabling Direction Fix doesn't solve the problem.

1657188983953.png

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Use a character sheet that has the same damage pose for all directions... Problem solved.

TheAM-Dol

Randomly Generated User Name
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you mean by:
Enabling Direction Fix doesn't solve the problem
?

Are you sure you are assigning the correct direction?
It usually helps to force the character the direction you want them to face (even if they were already facing that direction before the image change).
Set Movement Route:
Turn (direction appropriate for your image)
Direction Fix ON
Change image

Make sure its in that order. I just tested it (on MV) and it seems fine. I suppose it could be busted in MZ, I wouldn't know since I don't own it.

edit:
also, check to make sure you assigned the correct direction. Sometimes I mistakenly assign the wrong direction, like up when it should have been down or right when it should have been left. And double check that you aren't enabling direction fix before the image changes direction. If you enable it before the direction changes then...it's not going to work...that's why I specified the order above.

1 more edit:
sorry, I glossed over your post a bit too quickly and missed the part that it's right after a battle.
It should still work, but you'll need to assign it after the battle processing (for example: if you do in the event "Battle processing", then assign the above movement route to "If win" or whatever condition is necessary to trigger the damage state)
If it helps, I sometimes like to assign a very, very short wait (1 to 3 frames depending on how distrusting I am) after a scene switch. Is it paranoia and totally unnecessary because the engine will operate as expected? Probably. Does it make me feel better that I am giving my game ample time to see and execute the next steps in my event? Absolutely.

I have a similar script run, so take a look:
logic.png

(I didn't even enable direction fix because this common event is called on every battle as a lose condition.)

Last edited:

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean you can put a movement route to put the event in the right direction. But your player will see that and it looks stupid. Putting that charset together takes less than 2 minutes and works perfectly fine.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Couldn't you just use a new event page with the damaged version on it, that activates when using a (self) switch?

TheAM-Dol

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But your player will see that and it looks stupid.
Not necessarily, it only takes like 1 frame to flick the character the right direction, which can easily be masked with a fade-in. I don't even use a fade-in when my death event runs, and as far as I recall I don't remember seeing any problems. I suppose I should check that just in case...

Edit:
Thanks for pointing that out. While the character changing direction is naturally masked by the transition from the battle screen to the world screen (so that's not a problem) I did learn that I *DO* need to apply direction fix. So this thread inadvertently helped me polish my game a little :thumbsup-left:
Anyways, back on track: my movement route way works unless it's borked for some reason in MZ.

Last edited:

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not necessarily, it only takes like 1 frame to flick the character the right direction, which can easily be masked with a fade-in. I don't even use a fade-in when my death event runs, and as far as I recall I don't remember seeing any problems. I suppose I should check that just in case...

Edit:
Thanks for pointing that out. While the character changing direction is naturally masked by the transition from the battle screen to the world screen (so that's not a problem) I did learn that I *DO* need to apply direction fix. So this thread inadvertently helped me polish my game a little :thumbsup-left:
Anyways, back on track: my movement route way works unless it's borked for some reason in MZ.
Yeah, the fade in can help mask it. But as I said, creating said charset is a matter of 2 minutes and makes sure nobody ever sees you flicking your character before showing the damaged state. (Cutscenes yay)

limsoonchiong

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks everyone for trying to help out. So the best solution that seemed to work consistently is still to duplicate the whole sheet to the said damage pose. Somehow the move route option doesn't work for me.
For duplicating the tile, it is simple enough to do this if your sprite is almost 32 pixel end to end. It gets harder if your sprite is smaller, harder(slightly) to ensure the pixel is positioned correctly.
1657197055375.png1657197161044.png

TheAM-Dol

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
harder(slightly) to ensure the pixel is positioned correctly.
Depends on what tools you use.
My method may not be the fastest way but here's what I do:
(I use photoshop CC btw)
Make a duplicate copy of the layer you want to reposition.
Underneath the duplicate layer, create a new layer. Now, marquee the size of 1 sprite grid (32x32) and fill the marquee with a color.
Merge the duplicate sprite layer with your colored square. You should now have what I call a "sprite card". This card is easier to align with the grid since the color square is exactly 1 grid size large.
Move the sprite card to the desired position.
Now move the original layer of the sprite to the top most layer and align the sprite with the sprite card. Once you have aligned it, you can either hide or delete the sprite card.
(photoshop also offers alignment tools, such as noting how many pixels you have shifted an object, which makes it easy if you know the tile size. Just move until the tool says "X: 32px" and you know you shifted it 1 grid to the right. However, I've found some weird out lying cases where there seems to be a misaligned "subpixel" which then gets rounded and never in my favor, so I stopped relying on photoshop's alignment tools)

Somehow the move route option doesn't work for me.
That sounds like that could potentially cause problems down the road, so just be careful.

NaosoX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1657203096308.png
Having the event page like this doesn't work?

limsoonchiong

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry, just saw this. It does not work 100%. It depends on which position happened right before the battle processing. If the enemy is facing up, right, left, or down just before the battle processing, the event shows different pose. So I end up getting 4 random damage poses. If I happen to have different people in my sprite sheet, the damage pose will show wrong person from time to time.
View attachment 234083
Having the event page like this doesn't work?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Title Screen 100% Finished
Evangeline.png
I'm starting to enjoy doing pixel art! Not to mention it's getting easier to do commissions :kaojoy:
I'm having a surprisingly easy time with the wait for Hogwarts Legacy, though I know other gamers are salivating hard.
:awat:What are you two down there doing?
This status is here just to take up space. And to make you read that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kriss_Hietala