DestrikGamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
???
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi there!

I'm making a horror game and I noticed alot of people wanted to know how to make a monster that chases you through different maps and I came up with a way that worked for me. I hope you can use my system!

NOTE: If you want a video tutorial click here!

Switches and Variables

The first thing you need to do is make a few switches and variables.

Switches

• Enemy Chase
  • Enemy Appear
Variables

• Player X
  • Player Y
  • Enemy X
  • Enemy Y
  • Enemy Chase Length
  • Enemy Chase Counter
  • (Optional) Life
Note: Because my enemy is a robot all my switches are named a little bit differently

Setting up your enemy

So your enemy event will look something like this

1432uer.jpg

If you want the enemy to insta-kill just remove the last 2 lines and replace it with "Game Over"

My custom move route is:

"Move toward player"

"Move toward player"

"Move toward player"

"Move toward player"

"Move toward player"

"Move at random"

"Move toward player"

"Move toward player"

Of course settings such as speed move route and the event itself can be changed just make sure you have "Enemy Appear" as a switch.

Note: You must have the enemy pasted in EVERY MAP for this to work where doesn't matter

Setting up map transferring

For your enemy to transfer maps you must have an event that looks like this

9763ar.jpg

What the common event "Player X and Y" does is later in this post.

What "Wait [Number] Frame(s)" does is for example: When the player enters a new map after 2 seconds (120 frames) the enemy will appear.

Note: The set event location is "Set "Enemy" to Robot X, Robot Y"

Note: You must have this event pasted in EVERY MAP for this to work where doesn't matter

Common Events

You will need 2 common events:

• Player X and Y
  • Enemy
First you will need to make the Player X and Y common event what looks like this

a9mhr8.jpg

Make sure the trigger is "None"!

Now you need to make the Enemy common event what looks like this

2rm5kc2.jpg

This common event is basically a timer. If the time is up the monster disappears.

Now let's move on to the last event!

Summoning Enemy

Of course you need to summon your enemy! This event is only an example.

wmb7g8.jpg

The "Enemy Chase Length" is how many seconds you want the enemy to chase you in this case 25.

The "Battle6" BGM is just an example for chase music that's why in the "Enemy Chase" common event there is "Fade out BGM"

Note: The "Enemy Chase Length" and "Enemy Chase = On" are required! The rest is optional!

Common Event - Enemy Time.png

Common Event - Player X and Y.png

Robot Chase.png

Robot Enemy.png

Summoning Example.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And when you move to a place where there are impassable tiles between the player and the enemy in the game, the whole chasing just stops.

Sure, you can just turn on "Skip if can not move" option, but still, your chasing event will just stay there without moving ever again if the player stays in the same line as the event (+- 2 lines or even more depending on the distance between the event and the player).

That is the biggest flaw in every evented chase system, in my opinion.

But making this work even after a map change is surely a nice concept.

Thanks for sharing the idea!

DestrikGamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
???
Primarily Uses
N/A
And when you move to a place where there are impassable tiles between the player and the enemy in the game, the whole chasing just stops.

Sure, you can just turn on "Skip if can not move" option, but still, your chasing event will just stay there without moving ever again if the player stays in the same line as the event (+- 2 lines or even more depending on the distance between the event and the player).

That is the biggest flaw in every evented chase system, in my opinion.

But making this work even after a map change is surely a nice concept.

Thanks for sharing the idea!
Have you tried making your own move route or checked if there are any events in the way of the monster? If that doesn't work can you please post a screenshot because i'm not really sure what you mean.

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is exactly the problem.

If there are any events or impassable tiles between the player and the chaser, the event will stop "chasing" you, it will just stay at one place unless the player moves away to somewhere where the event can freely chase him in a straight line.

It will transfer the maps, no problem in that one, but on the same map, the player can play with the chaser as much as he likes to, if he wants to.

There is no error in your eventing, it is just a default RPG Maker behavior.

It just looks pretty bad if an event is supposed to chase you, but once it can't get to you in a straight line, it just plays dumb instead of moving 2 inches down or up where there is a passable route and continue to chase the player. :D

Of course, this can be evaded if the developer uses a map without any obstacles in the way while the chasing lasts, but that would limit quite a lot of possibilities, in my opinion.

DestrikGamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
???
Primarily Uses
N/A

If there are any events or impassable tiles between the player and the chaser, the event will stop "chasing" you, it will just stay at one place unless the player moves away to somewhere where the event can freely chase him in a straight line.

It will transfer the maps, no problem in that one, but on the same map, the player can play with the chaser as much as he likes to, if he wants to.

It just looks pretty bad if an event is supposed to chase you, but once it can't get to you in a straight line, it just plays dumb instead of moving 2 inches down or up where there is a passable route and continue to chase the player. :D

Of course, this can be evaded if the developer uses a map without any obstacles in the way while the chasing lasts, but that would limit quite a lot of possibilities, in my opinion.
Yeah I noticed that too while making the monster. RPG Maker should have a checkbox like "Through Events". There is a solution but it doesn't work in many scenarios and that is when "Monster Chase" is on to teleport the events out of reach with "Set Event Location". The system has it flaws but it get's the job done. 

Dissentrix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Erm, I think I'm doing this correctly. The only problem is, my event immediately appears, even though I set it to 480! frames as per your instructions. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Dissentrix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here are pics, if needed. What am I doing wrong ?

NOTES : The "first monster event" doesn't have an appear switch because I don't want it to actually appear, but be there.

There is no "chase length" because I don't want the monster to stop chasing you, but for you to figure out what to do.

First monster event.png

Second monster event.png

Chase event.png

Transfer event.png

Dissentrix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nvm, I figured it out. Had a stupid conditional branch near the exit.

Drakus

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I also have a problem where the Enemy doesn't chase through rooms. I did everything correctly. (I'm making an Ao Oni Game.) 

DestrikGamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
???
Primarily Uses
N/A
I also have a problem where the Enemy doesn't chase through rooms. I did everything correctly. (I'm making an Ao Oni Game.) 
Did you paste the monster and the "Monster Case" event in every map? 

If not please provide some more details.

Drakus

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, I did. The monster doesn't chase me through rooms.

DestrikGamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
???
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes, I did. The monster doesn't chase me through rooms.
Please check if the triggers and switches in the common events are set correctly and if the triggers for the events are set correctly.

If that doesn't work follow every step and if necessary rebuild the system. 

Hayolee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I did this and it works fine up until I leave the room.  Then he just instantly appears on my character even though I set the frames to 999.  I don't want an insta-monster because the goal of this random encounter is for the character to NOT die, but if they do they do.  Like the person above, I checked to see if I had any conditional branches.  But there's nothing that I see that would mess with it.

LostFonDrive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Incorporate a parthfinder script such as Yami's, so that the monster is easily able to plan around obstacles and continue the chase.

Hayolee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure if that's directed towards me.... if it is than my problem is not that it won't chase, but when I change the map the monster appears on top of my character and instantly on the map instead of being staggered.  I want the monster to appear behind the character at a distance.  Not underneath the players feet.  

KenzoMe92

Lazy Maker
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Simply add two more lines in the event so it will be like this:

Chasex = PlayerxChasey = PlayeryChasex -= 2Chasey -= 2it will put the enemy two tiles up and left of the player

Zetriax

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wanted to make a monster chase where the monster can phase through walls. However when I set the Options to "Through" it goes through me as well as the walls. Any fix for that?

Zetriax

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wanted to make a monster chase where the monster can phase through walls. However when I set the Options to "Through" it goes through me as well as the walls. Any fix for that?

Figured it out. Set Priority to "Above Character" and set Trigger to "Player Contact". The monster can only kill you while your character is moving, but it works. If you stand still, the monster can touch you without killing you, but then you're stuck. No moving, so it's game over regardless.

Derpy_13

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
hello I'm using the rpg maker mv engine and I cant ever seem to get the monsters to appear through the door. I know its not because I'm using a different engine because all of the commands are there. but what I don't get is that when i go through a door, the monster gets stuck in the corner outside the map. i waited a bit but he never moved. i studied the images carefully and i still don't get it. if you think you know how to fix it that will be great.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your door is an event, and you can't have two events on the same position unless one of them is set to "through".

But setting an event to through will disable action and touch triggers, so it's not simple to have enemies going through doors

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

0YJJJiG.gif
kkSYWES.gif
0YJJJiG.gif

Working on some fan assets! I won't share them all just yet, but it's a fun practice! (So maybe keep an eye out for a thread for them in the future?) :kaohi: These boyos are Pink Slimes and a Tabby Slime from Slime Rancher.​
Just dropped the trailer! Link to download and play is in the description!

Showcasing Plugins that Record Video, and Take Screenshots. :LZScheeze:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lalulu