How to make a dynamic skill system based off equipment?

hoboayoyo

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Skill system:
The player can equip a gem/materia/crystal to a character and their skill will change depending on what elemental gem was equipped. (fire, water, wind, earth) for example : Slash becomes fire slash with a fire gem. Removing a gem reverts the skill back to the previous one. On top of that, if you fight enough battle with certain changed skills you will permanently learn that skill and keep the original skill.

-Done
*Players can equip gems to change there current skills into new skills (changed skill).
Upon un-equiping the gem, the skill returns to normal.

-Not implemented yet
*If a fighter has a changed skill and fights enough battle they permanently learn that skill and will retain the original skill. (this will be ran by upping a var related to the skill until it reaches a threshold where they learn it.

-How do I do this(need help with this)???
*Implement an efficient way to have my game check what skills need to change over to changed skills isntead of just using a bunch of if statements.

Attachments

• SkillTree.png
    SkillTree.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 6

Jrrkein

Insert Witty Title Here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think this is closet to what you desire
but might not close as you expected.

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think this is what you are looking for as far as plug-ins...

Materia System
This replicates the Materia System from Final Fantasy 7

Equipment Learning
This will allow your characters to learn skills from equipment

Overwriting Skills
This has the way for skills to overwrite another skill.

You could also check Felski's Skill Tree. I have used skill trees and such to do what you are trying. These are just things to look at and try.

Edit: If I was doing what you were trying in MV, I would have to do it with IF statements as well. I would make some master templates, then edit the specifics, lots of copy and paste. Depending how many skills are on each equipment piece wouldn't be too bad after the originals construction.

Last edited:

Jrrkein

Insert Witty Title Here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I quite forgot that you can use FF materia system to make a skill for your liking to a equipment.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's almost 3 month and this piece of drawing is still not finished yet.
aaaa.jpg

Really busy with other stuffs like commission and coping with personal problem.
Stella & Elyune, maybe used for promotional art if my game project finished one day.
My ex put my heart upon a self he said don't give me no lines and keep my hands to myself :,(
An Old... old Harold | RPG Maker News #71

Did a test on myself and I was negative on COVID. I was sitting near my aunt the whole time while doing stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anvi