MarcusDz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
HI, I'm kinda new to this community and RPG Maker VX Ace. Me and my friends are a huge fan of RPG Maker game especially horror game. We decided to make a horror game because we were inspired by the games Ib, The Crooked Man and The Witch's House. But, the problem is we don't know where to start and how to do it. We still don't have the basic of this RPG Maker so I'm asking you guys for some tips and help about how to make one and where to start at.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't have the basics, then take a month or so for a tutorial project without any theme or story before starting on your horror project.

Please follow the link "starting point" in my signature, that was especially written to guide new users through the basics of learning the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcusDz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Gimme me the link.

Moop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
From a writing perspective, I would say really work on the lore/feel of your game. That always seems to be one of the things that captures your audience.

Also, think over questions like-

• What kind of game is it? (Psychological, blood-and-guts-y, mostly one and a little of the other, so on,)
  • What's the tone? (Purely dark like The Crooked Man? Whimsical like Ib? Fantastic with gruesome undertones like The Witch's House?)
  • Why were the games that inspired me so scary? (Atmosphere? Dialogue? Story? Jumpscares?)
Hope this helps! Welcome to the world of RPG Maker!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The link is in my signature as I told you - big and blue framed, just click there

MarcusDz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The link is in my signature as I told you - big and blue framed, just click there
Thanks, I just realized the big and blue framed below. Silly me.

MarcusDz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Also what do you mean by tutorial project?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MarcusDz, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Also what do you mean by tutorial project?
It is explained in that tutorial, but in short: Only reading a tutorial is always a waste of your time - you need to work thorugh it, making every step of it yourself in a game project that will usually be scrapped or abandoned when you're finished with the tutorials - that game project I call the tutorial project.

MarcusDz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MarcusDz, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

It is explained in that tutorial, but in short: Only reading a tutorial is always a waste of your time - you need to work thorugh it, making every step of it yourself in a game project that will usually be scrapped or abandoned when you're finished with the tutorials - that game project I call the tutorial project.
I see. Well then I better start my tutorial project. Thanks for answering my question and mentioning me about the double post that I had done. 

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

i only have one decent song and i dont even think it fits for a video game
Update: I finished the combat arena! My goodness, it took a while! There were numerous little bugs to squash.
Maldra wrote on stramin's profile.
Hi regarding the 32 bit -> 64 bit
I am running on a 64 bit windows OS and tried doing this conversion. I converted all of the .exe files that I could find in the KADOKAWA\RPGMV folder using the 4gbpatch.exe file. However, after trying to access RPG Maker MV after this conversion, it simply will not load. Do you have any advice or any ideas?
****ing muscle memory: does anyone else habitually quit out of test play when they notice something they """HAVE""" to fix, in spite of the fact that you can now edit DURING test play?

...thousands of times...

...every day?
Does anyone recognize him? :kaocry:
pwkyiDa.jpg

And hi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonlol1981