How to make a non-scripted lantern effect with on/off switch?

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Kind of says it in the title. I have been searching Youtube for tutorials and can't seem to find one that actually helps without scripts. I keep my game tinted to keep the spook factor in my horror game. However, I want to add a lantern mid game and want to get the event set up for when I get to that point. I plan on making some rooms darker than others and the light would just help overall when players need it.

Also, I don't mean to ask a question within a question but... is there a way I can map the keyboard so the game has set controls or am I stuck with the default controls? I had no idea I could even see what buttons were mapped to where until recently and I've been using this program for at least 2 months!!

rekkatsu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I found this on youtube with switch on/off

Reactions: Bex

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is there a way I can map the keyboard so the game has set controls or am I stuck with the default controls?
yes and no
you can use scripts to override the controls, and there are scripts to enable the full keyboard.
The question is whether you should do this at all.

By default, the PLAYER can configure the keyboard - that is part of the F1 or F2 configuration options ingame.
And this configuration is done once for all games, which means if the player reconfigures in one game, the reconfiguration takes hold in all VXA games.
If you set a control configuration in your game, you will disable that player-based configuration.
And the problem with this is that different countries have different keyboard, so your fixed controls may make the game unplayable for some countries.

for example decades ago (at times of DOS) I hated the american games that fixed the controld for jump/shoot on [y][z], because on a German keyboard the z is in the middle of the keyboard and the keys bottom left are yxc instead of yzc. Those platforming games effectively became impossible to play because I couldn't handle the controls yz as quickly as needed.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yes and no
you can use scripts to override the controls, and there are scripts to enable the full keyboard.
The question is whether you should do this at all.

By default, the PLAYER can configure the keyboard - that is part of the F1 or F2 configuration options ingame.
And this configuration is done once for all games, which means if the player reconfigures in one game, the reconfiguration takes hold in all VXA games.
If you set a control configuration in your game, you will disable that player-based configuration.
And the problem with this is that different countries have different keyboard, so your fixed controls may make the game unplayable for some countries.

for example decades ago (at times of DOS) I hated the american games that fixed the controld for jump/shoot on [y][z], because on a German keyboard the z is in the middle of the keyboard and the keys bottom left are yxc instead of yzc. Those platforming games effectively became impossible to play because I couldn't handle the controls yz as quickly as needed.
Thanks for that! I wasn't too sure if that was for my game specifically or not, I'm not against scripting in my game, but I have been wanting to keep it simple since this is the first game I've ever tried to make and finish, and I would rather not mess with anyone else's gaming capabilities

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I found this on youtube with switch on/off
I saw this one too but when I had watched it through the guy never mentioned it was on/off capable, guess I'll have to rewatch it, thank you!

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In case you use an Item from the Menu to Switch the Light On and Off, you could simply do this
in the common Event which is called by the Item.

-If Switch1 is Off
--If Yes - Turn Switch1 On, Show Picture Lantern, Tint Screen, do stuff... (no else case)
-else - Turn Switch1 Off, Erase Picture lantern, Tint Screen, do stuff...

Thatway Every Time the Lantern Item is used, it will turn On or Off depending on the state of the Switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My memory is embellishing the quality of NES era game assets :/ .... I need to stop comparing my work to somthing that was groundbreaking decades ago. Especially since its not as good as I seem to keep remembering it to be.
I finally found something that pleased me to organize my tasks. :)
I am thinking about redoing my portfolio video...
Degica has great discounts now on Steam too. MV & MV DLCs, VX Ace & VX Ace DLCs, and some DLC for MZ with a 10% discount. So if you are missing something, you can catch up now.
I'm streaming @jasonzeno 's game called Moonfall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spoonmaster12