Jaysterbaby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just wondering how I go about making a platform with no walls so the player can't walk off onto the other tiles?

Attachments

• platform.png
    platform.png
    367.8 KB · Views: 11

Pastel_Panda

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The easiest way would be to set some invisible events around the platform and stair sides. Just use a blank tile from one of the tileset options when selecting the event graphic (or just leave the default, which I believe is a blank sprite?), and change the event priority from Below Player to Same As Player. This prevents the player from bypassing it.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly's region restrictions plugin is pretty much essential, imo. It lets you define regions that: only players can pass, only enemies can pass, all can pass, only players cannot pass, only enemies cannot pass, or none can pass. So in short, not just invisible walls, but also some glue to patch up those terrain passability fails that seem so common in RM games.

Edit: Don't use events as invisible barriers unless you need event interaction specifically. Too many events (even mostly empty ones) can impact performance.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think both of those run into the problem that if the player tries to walk around the platform, they'll find the invisible walls. The only way I know to get it to work so that it stops them precisely at the edges is to actually create a new tileset using duplicates of the tiles you're using there, but implement directional restrictions to prevent the player from walking to the next tile in the proper direction. Just looking at this map, you'd need about 7 tiles to do this (assuming that center tile isn't passable and is just for interaction).

It would probably be a lot easier (and look a bit better) to enlarge the platform a bit and create a visible fence or railing which you could then block with yanfly's region restrictions.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can actually do this without any manipulation at all if you take care what to use as the platform.

The engine simulates a two-level-dungeon by allowing you to walk on the "ceiling" tiles of the walls in the A4-part of the tileset, and set their directional passability automatically in a way that you can't move from ceiling to floor unless you have a ladder or some other decoration on the walls as an override to that passability restriction.

That is also the reason why some of the A4-walls in some of the tilesets are repeated in A5 - they will look the same but have different passabilities.

But since that only works with these special tiles, you have a more limited selection on how the platform will look. You'll have to study the tileset in the database to find out which tiles of the entire tileset are ceiling tiles, and then find them in the editor window to use them.
And you need to make sure not to place any passable decoration around the platform, because one of the quirks of the program is that not only ladders but every passable upper layer tile will provide the override needed to enter and leave the ceiling - this is a common mapping mistake where for example you could move down a cliff if a flower is placed next to it, or where the "my actors walk on walls in my houses" errors might come from for others.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Even if you made 1% progress today in your making-game, that's 100% success!
This is Ralph from VX!
index.php

Always be consistent with your project.
Making backups regularly is good for the soul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ein1_1