The Commander

The Blood Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure if this is something that requires a script or if there's something else I can do that doesn't require scripting which is why I'm posting it here in the general support threads...but in my newest project, around the middle of the game, the player character, who can be custom named by the player early on in the game, leaves the team and eventually becomes a boss. Is anything special needed so that the PC's boss battle will still have his player-given name, regardless if it was the default or not?

For example, if I named the character (whose default name is Veroth) Bob, how can I fix it so that when you fight him it specifically says "Bob" as his name, instead of me naming him Bob, but still having him called "Veroth" in the fight?

Diretooth

Lv. 25 Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I cannot think of anything as to what you want, but you can easily have that player state that they chose a new name to fit their current mindset as a justification.

Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you taken a look at this script? Yanfly Doppelganger

Edit just realized this was for vx (or xp which is what your profile says)...in which case the above script will most likely not work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, before we go any further, which engine ARE you using? Your profile says XP but you posted in the VX Support forum.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

The Commander

The Blood Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am using the VX engine for this particular project.

What I meant, I guess, is that in the beginning of the game, after the first cutscene, the player is able to choose a name for the main character, they're not required to stick with the default name. Later in the storyline, the main character leaves the party and ends up becoming a boss, so what I'm trying to figure out, is whether or not it can be fixed so that when the boss encounter occurs, the character has the name that the player gave them instead of the default name.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure, but is it possible to use the \n[1] code in the enemy name box?

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm not sure, but is it possible to use the \n[1] code in the enemy name box?
I thought the same thing, and the answer is...yes and no. I tested it on an new project it said "Natalie emerged" and "Natalie took damage" but when you select targets it says \n[2] A.

Might just need a simple script to change that behavior though, but I'm not sure.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, you need a script for that - that's what I said in my post above and gave links to a script that did exactly that for ace with a suggestion to check Modern Algebra's VX scripts, because a lot of his scripts had VX-Variants before he converted them to Ace.

Diretooth

Lv. 25 Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Though, if you are adverse to using many scripts in a game, the solution I proffered earlier will work just as well with minimal messing around.

The Commander

The Blood Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The \n[1] did kinda work...but like was said earlier, in the menu where you select the enemy to attack, it says "\n[1], The Last of the Dragons" so...I'm looking at that VXACE link, hoping I can find something useful.

EDIT: I added the script and went through it, unfortunately...still no luck. Kinda irritating that the \n[1] will work for the "{{Enemy Name Here}} emerged!" but during the enemy select screen when attacking it says \n[1] instead of the actor name. :/ 

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I haven't worked with VX's version of Ruby (RGSS2) so I can't give you the exact syntax.  But if I wanted to do something like this in VX Ace, I would use the Script command on a page that runs on Turn 0 of the battle and type something like $game_troop.members[x].name = $game_actors[y].name where x is the position in the troop of the enemy whose name you want to change (from 0 to 7) and y is the ID of the actor in the database whose current (player-given) name you are trying to copy.  Hopefully this can give you a good idea of where to start.

The Commander

The Blood Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That might work, now I just have to figure out how to convert that into RPG VX.

UmbrotheUmbreon

Legendary Umbreon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Would it be possible to simply have that character take on a new name when he leaves and turns into a boss, and then after the fight they find out it was really the character? It would make this process easier but if that's not what you're going for then I apologize.

The Commander

The Blood Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I mean, for example, when the game starts, the player is given an option to name the 1st Actor (with a default name of Veroth).

Throughout the game, dialogue refers to the main character as "\n[1]" which, obviously, inserts the player's chosen name when referring to the hero. Around the midpoint of the game, the main character, actor 1, becomes a boss, I tried using the "\n[1]" trick for the enemy's name to let the player know they're fighting the hero, (so I named the enemy "\n[1], The Last of the Dragons").

Unfortunately, when I do it, the battle dialogue says this, (I'm going to use "Bob" in place of Veroth's name, saying as if the player named the first actor "Bob" instead of using the default name):

"Bob, The Last of the Dragons has emerged!"

But in the dialogue box that explains who the enemy is (where the player would choose which enemy to attack if it were a multi-enemy battle), it says:

"\n[1], The Last of the Dragons" instead of saying "Bob, The Last of the Dragons". Does that make sense? Trying to figure out how to make it so that when the dialogue box that says "\n[1], The Last of the Dragons" would say "{{Player-decided name}}, The Last of the Dragons".

Does that make sense? It's kinda hard to describe...

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
\n[1] won't work for the enemy name coz the \x[x] codes (escape codes) are only for messages...

maybe try this:

Code:
class Game_Enemy alias name_actor namedef name  if @enemy_id == ID_OF_ACTOR_ENEMY    return $game_actors[1].name + ", The Last of the Dragons"  else    return name_actor  endendend
so like if the enemy that is the last dragon is enemy number 99, you just change ID_OF_ACTOR_ENEMY to 99 and theoretically, during the battle, the game would show actor 1's name adding the suffix, ", The Last of the Dragons" in it's place rather than the name you define in the database...

The Commander

The Blood Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks, where would I insert this snippet of code?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
just make a new blank script in your script editor below materials... and possibly below any custom battle engine just to be sure

naruzeldamaster

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's an idea....remove the actor from the party, and create an enemy with the same name(Make sure you name the trope this as well!) and a battler image of that actor....then it's just a matter of manipulating the field sprite of that character accordingly. 

No fancy shmancy scripts needed :3 

Think smarter, don't work harder X3 

Especially in VX Ace and other stuff.

the text command to display an actor's name will work regardless of if they're an enemy or on your side this way. It's far easier (though more tedious in the long run) to just type the character's names out anyway.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Woot got a promotion and a pay rise ᕙ( • ‿ • )ᕗ now I'm set.
does anyone feel like explaining to me the difference between simulation and emulation? you have my full permission to be as pedantic as you want.
About the Deer, I had to cut some piece of video due the *swearing* Youtube copyrights issues...
A caveman pokes his head in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McClane_Drake