How to make a skill do more damage than the enemy's original ATK power.

Lapzil_Spider

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Now, I'm not new to RPG Maker entirely, but I am new to its Battle System (I never touched it, I would screw around with Map Creation and Dialogue), so I need some help on it.

Here's what the title means:
(This isn't exactly accurate, just an example):

Let's say the Player had 0 Defense, and the enemy had 25 attack.
The enemy attacks and does 25 damage. How would I make a skill with 50 ATK instead of the Enemy's 25 ATK?

I want an enemy's ATK power to be 25, but some of their skills have their own ATK than the enemy's original ATK power.

I assume this has something to do with the Formula, which I'm not good with at all.

Lunesis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just put a.atk * 2 - b.def in the formula for the skill.

Last edited:

Lapzil_Spider

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just put a.atk * 2 - b.def in the formula for the skill.
Is that how it works?

I want a skill to have its own Specific ATK power and it cancels out the user's Atk power with its own.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
  • a.atk will be replaced with the ATK value of the skill user.
  • b.def will be replaced with the DEF value of the target.
You can use other values, including fixed numbers like 50. You can also use other operations like add +, multiply *, etc. For more details, hover the cursor over the skill formula box to show its help tip.

Let's say your "normal" formula is this:
JavaScript:
a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2
To use a fixed value of 50 instead of the user's current ATK, simply replace a.atk with 50:
JavaScript:
50 * 4 - b.def * 2

If you want to design more complex formulae, you may find this thread helpful:
It's for RMMV, but I think RMMZ's damage formulas are handled identically.

Lapzil_Spider

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
  • a.atk will be replaced with the ATK value of the skill user.
  • b.def will be replaced with the DEF value of the target.
You can use other values, including fixed numbers like 50. You can also use other operations like add +, multiply *, etc. For more details, hover the cursor over the skill formula box to show its help tip.

Let's say your "normal" formula is this:
JavaScript:
a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2
To use a fixed value of 50 instead of the user's current ATK, simply replace a.atk with 50:
JavaScript:
50 * 4 - b.def * 2

If you want to design more complex formulae, you may find this thread helpful:
It's for RMMV, but I think RMMZ's damage formulas are handled identically.
It worked, thanks.

Though I wanna ask this, what do the " * 4" and " * 2" do? What would happen if other numbers were put in.?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is simple mathematics - multiplication by four and multiplication by two

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's the same symbols you see on calculators. The only difference is that division uses / (which is often used when writing out math, but is typically not the symbol on calculators).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People laughed at me when I said that Activision Blizzard would get bought up by another company if they didn't fire their execs. Now their value has dipped so much Microsoft is willing to buy the company, likely followed by some heavy terminations if they want to purify the current toxic image of Activision Blizzard.
Pro tip: don't be this person.1642536788532.png
ok hear me out here: if the only way my brain can describe things is like with colors is this normal? Like I've described a smell as "dark green and fuzzy" and a taste as "dark blue" like is this a normal thing that happens to people or am I just going insane?? o.0
I'm sitting here, programming, when suddenly, in the distance, I hear a deep booming shout, "Dovahkiin". In an instant, my mind and body is pulling me away, my fingers twitch and notepad++, almost by itself, turns off. The Steam starts to rise and a big green play button appers and I am teleported to Skyrim, because, I am, the Dragonborn! 200 hours played last three weeks, omg o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anakin_Nakamura