How to make a state not applicable outside of battle?

pedrocarsamar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello. One of my characters has this skill which removes negative conditions and, additionally, applies a "prevention state" to the target, so that his ally not only gets health, but prevents further negative states by a certain number of turns. (Hylics' players know precisely what it means) I want this skill to work both on battle and on menu, but differently.

* On battle, I want the skill to heal negative conditions AND apply the "prevention state";
* But on the menu, I want the same skill to heal negative conditions, but not to apply the "prevention state", since the player could do this before every battle to get advantage.

The lazy way to get around with this issue is to create two skills: one usable on battles and one usable on menus. But I particularly think this would pollute the skill repertoire.

Is there a way to do what I'm planning?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That method isn't "lazy", it's basically the only one that works in the default engine of VXA.

the only alternative would be with using scripts that add new options to the engine - yanfly's lunatic states might contain a solution or something similar.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But on the menu, I want the same skill to heal negative conditions, but not to apply the "prevention state", since the player could do this before every battle to get advantage.
The other easy thing to do is add a Turn 0 troop event to your troops that checks for any party members to have the preventative state and remove it.

pedrocarsamar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you for your contributions. I took a sight over the Lunatic States before making this thread, but I'm too dumb to make it work. For the time being, Turan's suggestion seems to be the best thing I could right now. So I'll just stick to it, unless I find another solution.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Could you not have the skill call a common event and then have the common event check if the player is in battle, then apply the state if true.
You can do a conditional branch script check in the CE
if SceneManager.scene_is?(Scene_Battle)
add state
end branch

Last edited:

pedrocarsamar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Could you not have the skill call a common event and then have the common event check if the player is in battle, then apply the state if true.
You can so a conditional branch script check in the CE
if SceneManager.scene_is?(Scene_Battle)
add state
end branch
That's actually a great idea, thx. But as I was trying to implement it, I've just got a new insight. Since I'm using Yanfly's follow up skill script, I can make the healing skill be followed by another that adds the state, but only if "SceneManager.scene_is?(Scene_Battle)" is true. And it surprisingly worked

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Watch Studio Blue play Numina by starlit in our latest RPG Maker Games Critique stream starting NOW!

Wish me luck. One of the leading experts on certain false shuffle is going to check if my skill is good enough to be called "not total trash".
Not an RPG Maker Update but I'm happy to say that I finally passed my drivers written test. Which makes me a happy guy.
FWRu-cYXkAAAUbl
Have you ever been in such a luck streak you felt fear something was wrong?
I'm going to be adding in combat animations, revamping the UI and putting in a new cutscene this week, so this is your last chance to play the MC:RIS demo in its original form! Say you were there since the beginning! https://qos.itch.io/infinite-sadness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
c100note