How to make a tileset

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Levgon, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Levgon

Levgon The self-appointed democratic king. Member

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am makeing this tread for the 5. time, because instead drag and drop I opened the pic in firefox ._.
    Sooooo... Hi! I've been trying to make a tileset for some time, but yesterday I actually created... something :D
    I got a look I liked:
    I was goung for.png
    but it looked ingame like this :/
    Map001.png
    It had some major issues (I made it 800%... and a lot more), so I fixed what I could:
    try 2.png
    Map002.png
    Seems good, seems good.
    But those clipping problems are killin me ,_,
    Fail.png
    So... how to make one without cliping off the pattern and without the edges.
    Thank you for reading it, and for your answers

Edit: can a mod delete the pictures I uploaded 2 times? drag and drop didn't work, and I can not remove them... Thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    We have a section specifically to help people create assets, so...

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Those look like they are A2 tiles - is that the sheet you have put them on, and then put that sheet in the correct slot on the A tab? Auto tiles must be on precisely the correct sheet in order to work.

Edit
    I suggest you open up an A2 sheet in your image program and have a look at how the in the tile top right corner looks. It seems to me (though I could be wrong) that you have just made a smaller version to put there. That is not how it should be formatted.

3. bhindi1224

bhindi1224 NOT Indian Okra Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which RPG Maker engine do you want these in?

4. Levgon

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes Thanks :) I already understood that it has to be on a correct slot, I only have problems with the clipping, edes, ect...
    @bhindi1224 I want them in RPG maker MV

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In addition to looking at the Asset Standards in the Help section of MV, this blog does a good job of explaining how autotiles in Ace are constructed. You can use the same knowledge, just mentally adjust the size of 32x32 to 48x48 - the only real difference. http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

However, I will say, just quickly looking at your tile sheet, you have white space between the tiles, which, if you open one of the RTP autotile sheets, you will see that they do not have space in between them. So, your tiles at the very least are not placed properly on the sheet.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The reason I suggested opening up an A2 tile sheet in an image program was because if you pick e.g. a path one, the basic shape is similar to yours - but there is something 'behind' them. In the case of a dirt path, there is grass where you only have empty space. If you leave that space empty, then it will show up black in game.

You might find this blog post helpful.
    There is also this diagram which might be of use.

master_floor_template2.png

EDIT
    ninja'd

7. bhindi1224

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The files are definitely off-center, I'm working with them now.

8. Levgon

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bhindi1224 These are screenshots of my tilesets.
    Here is the original:
    Doodels 2.png
    @mlogan @Kes Thank you :) I just made one, but it only messed it up even more... However! I will figure it out, tomorrow.

9. bhindi1224

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The problem is that for everything to tile, the relative image sizes are all wrong. I'll try to make you an autotile to show you soon. Other than that, you should really look at the tutorials, and I found Sharm's autotile templates, and fallenlorelei's tutorial to be a huge help. They use Pyxel Edit, you can get a free version that does everything you need.

starlight dream likes this.
  10. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, I see you fit them into the grid better. But you still have blank space around them. That is why you are getting the the odd shapes and white space around them in the map.

Look at one of the A2 tiles from the RTP:

Outside_A2.png

See how most of the tiles take up the full grid space? That is your problem. The ones on the right that don't take up the full grid space are special tiles meant to go on top of the others - so, the empty space on those will be filled by the tile underneath. Please look in the help file under Asset Standards to see how these types of tiles fit into a tilesheet and work together.

11. Levgon

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bhindi1224 Woah, thanks! This is a lot more useful than the tutorials I found. They were all just recolor tutorials. I am useing gale ( https://graphicsgale.com/ ). But Pyxel seems really useful and I will take a look at it. Thanks :)

12. Levgon

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mlogan The White spaces aren't the problem... I still get the "anotomy" wrong. But I will figure it out!

Thank you all for your replies!

13. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No actually, the space around the tiles IS the problem. I'm might not be the most prolific tile artist here, but I've done enough to know that that IS your problem with the "anatomy" of it. I've opened your tilesheet in Gimp - the space is the problem. Those sorts of tiles need to fill ALL of the 48x48 spaces they comprise.

edit: Coming back to add, I get that you are trying to make nicely rounded tiles, but you cannot do that with the way MV autotiles work. You have to make them with square corners, and perhaps add special, rounded edge pieces in the A5 sheet or a B-E sheet.

14. bhindi1224

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Just noticed I missed a couple of pixels, I'll fix that real quick.
    Edit: I think they are fixed, pretty tired atm.
    Edit: I think maybe moving everything up one pixel and then fixing it would be best, but you can do that in Pyxel Edit if you want! :) Also keep in mind that those are just ground tiles. Walls are an entire other problem.

Edit: In my playing around, I've discovered that MV doesn't like transparencies on autotiles. You'll want to fill in a color instead of just the transparency. Now I know what Kes was talking about. **Actually** I found a place on A2 sheet that works. This just shows I need to look closer at the tutorials again. Just when you think you know something.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  15. Levgon

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  16. Levgon

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finaly! I understood it and got it right. I will throw away the original design, because it just doesn't look right that way, but I understood it and made one properly! Thanks a lot!
    Map001.png
    also, here is the tile I made:
    upload_2017-11-3_15-53-59.png

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.