Not open for further replies.

Linally

Edible Knight
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi all!

My question is about getting an EVENT item to show when I've bought an item. In this particular project, I want you to be able to buy "key items", like furniture. And when you buy this furniture from the shop, it being in the inventory should cause the event to trigger on the map, and reveal that you now have the item. You don't need to interact with it in any way.

I've tried messing with the variables and switches, but I'm just missing something. After three days of trying to figure it out myself, I tried searching for it, and couldn't find anything that was exactly what I wanted (I found picking up objects, but not purchasing from the store).

Can any one help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One option would be to make an event page on the map triggered by condition "item in inventory". Then that event would only show up if you have the item.

There are several other ways to do this, but they depend on when you want to show what - the solution above would place the furniture as a map event in your home map if that's what you wanted to do.

If you want something else, then please give a description on what should show up where when you purchase the item.

DarkMessiah

I Can Haz Stark Tech?
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There could also be the option of using choices? Just set each item as a choice, using 1-2 choices as a Next/Previous Page option. Then when you buy the furniture, just use that choice condition to make a cash sound effect, remove X amount of gold, and then turn on the switch that makes the item appear in your house.

To be honest, I think it's kind of a neat idea.

Linally

Edible Knight
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As far as the events go, should they be auto run or parallel?

That would be good too! Since I can't seem to get the other one to work. But let's keep going, shall we?

EDIT: I guess the other part is also that I need this item to either show up once or you can only buy so many of them too.

IE 3 chairs are going to show up. Theres no room for any more. So if the player bought more? ...Well they'd be wasting their money.

DarkMessiah

I Can Haz Stark Tech?
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The events should have the Priority as Below Characters and the Trigger can just stay as Action Button. Then make a second Page and have one of the conditions to be the switch you would activate when buying the furniture. Change the graphic to your furniture or item of choice, then set the Priority to Same as Characters (unless you don't mind walking all over them) and the trigger should stay as Action Button. No need to make them Autorun or Parallel Process unless you plan to have them doing something in the scene.

Linally

Edible Knight
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Now it's just triggering the event as soon as the game starts in the room with the furniture. But I have no chair to trigger it?

Maybe a screen shot of how to do it will help, because I'm losing my mind. xD

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First event page:

- set event graphic to the piece of furniture in question

- trigger action button

- priority same as character

-- check if the player has enough money to buy the item (conditional branch > gold)

-- if they have enough money, subtract the gold from the player, and turn on a switch. Not a self switch. Name it chair or something.

Second event page:

- Condition: switch Chair is ON

- Everything else is blank/default settings

Copy and paste this event if you'd like multiple furniture of the same type to show up, but disappear once the player bought it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
screenshot yes, but please the other way around: you post the screenshot of what you've done so far.

There are too many details we don't know about your game to make the event for you, it's much easier to see how far you are and what went wrong...

Linally

Edible Knight
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I did what Celianna said to do, and I must have messed that up too.

Shot1.png

Shot2.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes - you need two events, one for buying the chair and one for displaying it in home.

The event to display it in home should not have the "purchase"-code on the first page (that has to be in a different event), and it should not have the picture of the chair on first page.

That way the chair will only appear on the event after the switch is on, because the page with the switch off will not contain the chair - but because you'll not see it, you''ll need the other event to purchase the chair (could be a picture of a salesman or something else)

Linally

Edible Knight
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Then where would I put the purchase code? Because normally it would just be bought from the store...

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm confused, I thought you wanted to event your own shop, where you could see the actual item, walk up to it, and purchase it - after which it disappears. Is this not true? Or did you use the shop event command, and add the item to the player's inventory?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ Celianna:

He wants to make something like a player home where the furniture will show up after it has been purchased in a shop somewhere else.

(at least that's how I read his original post and question)

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In that case, if you'd follow my event when it comes to purchasing the item ...

Create an event in the 'home' map (where ever you want the chair to appear), and the first event page should have the condition of the chair switch. Set the graphic to a chair. It will now only show up if the player bought it.

And if you don't follow my event, and you simply have a chair item in your inventory, set the condition of the first event page to 'item Chair exists' instead of the switch.

All in all, I really think you should brush up your skills and read some beginner tutorials. Try this.

Linally

Edible Knight
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well it's not that I need to brush up, it's that I wanted to just use the shop. But with all the information I've been given, it all points to just NOT being able to do that. Instead I would have to create a map of a shop and have the items around the shop, click on them, it will purchase it and I can change the variable in there?

So rather than answering my question, I was given many alternatives, and I think that's where I have been, and every one has been, getting lost and confused.

You can just close this thread, I'll go back to figuring it out on my own. Thank you for trying.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I misread your thread, and understood that you wanted to have a shop where you could see the items, and thus gave help based on that assumption.

Next time, just try to explain it a bit more. When you said 'And when you buy this furniture from the shop, it being in the inventory should cause the event to trigger on the map, and reveal that you now have the item' read to me as 'the event should go away because you have now purchased the item and own it in your inventory' because you never specified which map, I presumed you meant the map with the shop in it.

Regardless, what you're trying to achieve, is super, super easy, which I explained in my previous post. So try that.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onbetme