How to make background an image?

ValerieBlood

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Im actually not sure where I was supposed to post this thread, so I picked the one I thought most relevent.
I'm new to the RPG Maker world and just bought MZ. I've spent the last few days learning and experimenting non stop.
My question is this: How do I make an image as the background that the character can walk on, but have invisible tiles that block off certain areas I dont want you to go over? I'm an artist and was thinking of drawing my backgrounds, my inspiration would be the pre-rendered background kinda set up that the original Final Fantasy 7&9 did.

I can upload an image from folder well enough, just dont know if there is an easy way to block off areas maybe, without that part being seen? I'm unsure if I'm even approaching the problem the most logical way either.

Any help at would be amazing! :)
Here is an example of what I mean with Nibelheim as an example. z2.png

@Shaz okay, so in this forum you must not press the "reply" button to respond to someone, rather, you edit your original post and "@" them? Okay and thanks. And dont see a delete comment button for my other comments, sorry for doing it wrong.

Last edited:

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Create a new tile sheet. Make one tile with a circle in it, to represent a passable tile. Next to it, make a tile with an X in i6t to represent a solid, impassable tile.

Below the tile with the circle and x, do not put any graphics at all. Leave them blank.

Go into the database, under tilesets and assign your new tileset to the B, C, D or E slot.

When viewing th tileset slot you placed it in, change the blank tiles we talked about to either passable or impassable.

The X or circle you drew in the first two tiles is merely a reference in the editor as to which of the empty tiles below them are solid or passible.

Now create a new map. Select the paralax image you want to use and check view in editor.

Now that you can see your image use the tiles with the visible X or O so you can visually confirm that what will be solid and what will be passable. Once you are satisfied with the layout, replace them with the blank tiles below them.

You can use the rest of the tileset to put anything else in that you want like normal.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this technique is called "parallax mapping" in the RM-Community due to misusing the picture slot originally intended for parallax-use.

if you search for that term you should find a few dozen tutorials on it.

ValerieBlood

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When viewing th tileset slot you placed it in, change the blank tiles we talked about to either passable or impassable.

The X or circle you drew in the first two tiles is merely a reference in the editor as to which of the empty tiles below them are solid or passible.

Now create a new map. Select the paralax image you want to use and check view in editor.

Now that you can see your image use the tiles with the visible X or O so you can visually confirm that what will be solid and what will be passable. Once you are satisfied with the layout, replace them with the blank tiles below them.

You can use the rest of the tileset to put anything else in that you want like normal.

Let me know if you have any questions...
Yes!! This is what I started doing before I seen your reply to try out, however I cant seem to get it to work. I'm unsure what to do on these steps I quoted above (sorry I'm new) But your method seems to be exactly what I'm looking for so maybe you can help me understand what you mean a bit better? Thank you so very much! :)

ValerieBlood

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Okay re-reading it I think I know what you mean!! I did it however the "visual standins" wont leave when I try to replace them. 1620349589831.png

ValerieBlood

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thats so odd. Now it is randomly working??? (I didnt change anything, I just re-opened the map and starting painting the tiles anew) lol I am so confused, but thank you so very much! You have been a massive help!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@ValerieBlood, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you change the tileset after editing a map, you have to click on a different map then back on the original one again for the tilesets to update in the editor.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thats so odd. Now it is randomly working??? (I didnt change anything, I just re-opened the map and starting painting the tiles anew) lol I am so confused, but thank you so very much! You have been a massive help!
Okay... Try using Layer 1. With layer set to auto, it will stacktile images. That's why the X and O stays. So forcing it to apply to a specific layer should override what was there before... Let me know if it's still giving you trouble

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you place this as a parallax using a plugin, you can designate the entire image as ground, then simply create a blank event that is the same as the player to create the impassible sections.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
okay, so in this forum you must not press the "reply" button to respond to someone, rather, you edit your original post and "@" them? Okay and thanks. And dont see a delete comment button for my other comments, sorry for doing it wrong.

Doubleposting is when you post right after yourself. That's when you need to edit your older post instead of making a new one.
If you're replying to the latest post in the thread, that's fine. As long as the latest post isn't yourself.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Doubleposting is when you post right after yourself. That's when you need to edit your older post instead of making a new one.
If you're replying to the latest post in the thread, that's fine. As long as the latest post isn't yourself.
It isn't posting immediately after yourself so much as posting immediately after yourself before allowing at least 72 hours between posts.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hope he recovers fast :|
Looks like it's functional:
It's a common thing to forget eating &drinking while you are working concentrated, right?
If I had discovered RPG-Maker before moving together with my girlfriend, I'd have died of dehydration a long time ago.
Ami
trying to change my picture & got screwed up...
I've been busy working on my next music pack, and I've also been busy composing some personal compositions. Depending on the type of mood and setting, sometimes I just really love the sound of music created in lofi mono. It has its charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pre_tw