How to make Mack/AD style pointed roofs?

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm sure there was a tutorial on this, but for the life of me I can't find it.
I'd like to convert some normal roofs to pointy roofs. What's the settings I need to use for this in photoshop/gimp?
I forgot the angle and such :rswt

Pointy roofs like so:
1631046596634.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The angle is 45 degrees, unless you're looking at where the roofs meet, and that looks to be a 22.5 angle, or in pixel terms, approximately 2 pixels up for every 1 pixel over. Not sure about the settings in GIMP or Photoshop. Don't GIMP and Photoshop use different numbers for transformations though? Which program are you using?

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I mostly use photoshop myself.
So do I need to convert the normal roofs twice? As in, one in 45 degrees for the bottom part and one in 22,5 for the upper (where the roofs meet) part?

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Thank you.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not unless you're doing the steeper roof like on the steeple of the example. Where the roofs meet seems to be just a cut out.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I read AD and I'm like "Why are we talking about my game?" I still don't know what AD is, but I get what you're trying to do. I'm not sure what engine you're using, but I think for Ace, it's just a matter of omitting the centre part.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I read AD and I'm like "Why are we talking about my game?" I still don't know what AD is, but I get what you're trying to do. I'm not sure what engine you're using, but I think for Ace, it's just a matter of omitting the centre part.
It's Ancient Dungeons, tile tileset.
I'm not sure what you mean by omitting the centre part.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I managed to get the normal roof look proper by skewing it to -45.

However, this part does not fit into -45, nor into -22,5. What is it?
whatangle.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
? It looks like the tile is 45 and it was cut at a 22.5 (or 67.5? Depends on where 0 is) angle to me. There's just some added bumpiness because it's cut out in such a way to create a slight edge along the bottom of the shingles. The erased part looks to have been done by hand, so knowing the exact angle isn't important.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I tried 67,5 but the angle was completely off, it was too steep. The angle is also off at 22,5 and 45, it's not steep enough when I use those.
Unless I am using the wrong tool?? I use Skew in Photoshop.

See, here is a pic, the angles are not right:

nothingmatches.png
The above image by celianna is 2 pixels height difference (sometimes 3) and 1 pixel side.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@BCj, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, you're right, I did the math wrong. It should be the same angle used for isometric, which is either 30 or 26.5 degrees depending on if it's pixel iso or true iso. So for the skew settings it'd be -75 or -71.5 I believe. Not certain as I don't use PS anymore. But if you're wanting to reproduce the slope of where the roofs meet you shouldn't be using the skew tool at all. You should start with the tile for the roof you made at the 45 degree angle then use the eraser tool to create the new angle. It looks like it was done pixel by pixel, so you can literally count the pixels to make it the same angle. (As I mentioned before, this should be a 2:1 line.) Or, if you want the angle exactly like the tiles you're referencing, you can use the original as a mask.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Alright thanks, I'll try to fiddle with that :D

For now I tried to fiddle with the tiles from Venere and Marte, but I am not so sure about the roof. It's the first time I made a multiple story building, and I feel like the roof may be a bit too big (6 tiles)
And I'm aware the tileset has a misalignment error (top right of the pointed roof), need to fix that.
house.png

Should the roof be a bit smaller? E.g. 5 tiles? Or is this right?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That looks really good. I don't think there's a single correct size for a roof, so if it's what you want it to look like and it looks good then it's a good size.

Reactions: BCj

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, that's good to know. I thought maybe the proportions were a bit off. But if they aren't I can continue on with them :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosted