How to make old dialogue effect later choices?

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to set up Switches and Self Switches but it seems to just refuse to work. Self switches don't work in branching dialogue. If I set a switch to turn on from one event and effect a different effect then nothing happens. My only plugins are that of YEP battle engine, YEP buff states, and YEP core engine. Am I doing something wrong, or is it the fault of my plugins?

Vesutastic

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your plugins shouldn't be at fault here, they don't affect switches or self switches.

Mind if you post your event pages?
Could make it easier to see where the problem lies~ :rhappy:

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your plugins shouldn't be at fault here, they don't affect switches or self switches.

Mind if you post your event pages?
Could make it easier to see where the problem lies~ :rhappy:
The first two screenshots are the first page, the third and fourth are the pages it's supposed to effect. If it looks sloppy that's because this is my first project in RPG maker so go easy on me. This is only my second post as well so I don't know if this attachment will work.

Edit: Ignore the Messatsu part, it's an easter egg that's working just fine. It's just those Chaos and Pacifist switches.

Attachments

• image_2021-04-21_030251.png
    image_2021-04-21_030251.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image_2021-04-21_030627.png
    image_2021-04-21_030627.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image_2021-04-21_030902.png
    image_2021-04-21_030902.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image_2021-04-21_030915.png
    image_2021-04-21_030915.png
    112 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Beckx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i can't see it in the screenshot, but have you set the affected events to autorun? or other question: is it supposed to trigger after player input or should it automatically show, after the switch got turned on?

i think that might be where the problem lays

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you show screenshots of your event, please include the FULL event window. Can't tell there if those are all the same event or multiple events. Can't see the triggers, or if there's a sprite.

The logic on your second screenshot is wrong. You have a test there saying if switch #66 is on, do stuff. But it will never be on, because a few lines above you have turned it OFF.

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i can't see it in the screenshot, but have you set the affected events to autorun? or other question: is it supposed to trigger after player input or should it automatically show, after the switch got turned on?

i think that might be where the problem lays
I'll fix the screen shots in this post. They are autorun and I believe they trigger after player input but I'm unsure as this is my first time making any form of complex event in my mind.

Attachments

• image_2021-04-21_032022.png
    image_2021-04-21_032022.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image_2021-04-21_032037.png
    image_2021-04-21_032037.png
    182 KB · Views: 5
  • image_2021-04-21_032146.png
    image_2021-04-21_032146.png
    160 KB · Views: 6
  • image_2021-04-21_032205.png
    image_2021-04-21_032205.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 5

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you show screenshots of your event, please include the FULL event window. Can't tell there if those are all the same event or multiple events. Can't see the triggers, or if there's a sprite.

The logic on your second screenshot is wrong. You have a test there saying if switch #66 is on, do stuff. But it will never be on, because a few lines above you have turned it OFF.
Fixed in the last reply I had with screenshots. The logic on my second screen is right, that's how I was shown to do Password Events. It has nothing to do with the main issue and in fact leads to an entirely different part of the game. I mentioned that in the main post edit, my mistake for not saying it sooner.

Beckx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
mmh. it should normally work? does it work if you remove the part in other? i know, normally it shouldn't be affected, but i just tried activating a event through a switch in a choice (basically just like you did) and had no problems.

you could also open up the console via F8 while testplaying to see if there are any errors

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
why is pacifist and chaos on a different event?

you ccould make 3 pages, swelfswitch A (for pacifist), selfswitch B (for chaos)
so you have 3 pages, maybe 4 if selfswitch C is triggered for blank page.

Spooks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Same reason the post states. A choice earlier in the game effects later dialogue. That's the whole thing I'm going for.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Spooks
your scripted commands are wrong. that comparison should use ===, not == - but why use script here at all?
I strongly suggest you use the conditional branch for checking the name of the actor instead of a script command, that way you can completely ignore the switch used there.

and in all cases, ALWAYS name any switch or variable as soon as you use them. switch 66 is not named, and that risks that you might use it (or might have used it) for another function elsewhere, messing up the entire logic.
always name switches and variables, so that you'll never use them twice unless knowing what you're doing.
and check if any of your plugins uses any of those switches for itself - you should always configure all plugins as soon as they are added, and part of that configuration process is naming any switch or variable that is configured in the plugin.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For a long time I always consider XP soundtracks as the best one.
Just listened to some of MZ tracks from the free version.
It's... Quite mindblowing. xD
Only listened to the battles, towns, and fields.
But I'm sure the rest are equally good. :D
What do you guys want to see for the new Jump into Javascript? A continuation of the rpg_objects, or would you prefer a "lesson 0" where I go back to the absolute basics of Javascript and cover the fundamentals of the language and its construction?
Hey RPG members!!

How do you finish projects? Some new game developers start off strong but end up losing momentum. What keeps you motivated while working on new projects?
Feeling wee sleepy.. ZzzZ
So many threads to move to the right place. My post count is awesome, but 95% of it is due to moving things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralphthefifth